Croft Circuit good for Motorsport Virgin?

Name
Ant
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I'm toying with the idea of trying to shoot some motorsport for the first time this Saturday, qualifying day for the BTCC and other support series at Croft Circuit. I read that circuits like Croft are often better than some of the larger circuits and with more opportunity to get good views and closer to the action with your camera? I'd appreciate any thoughts on Croft in particular.

I'd be taking my Sony A7 III, 85mm prime, 70-200 f/4 and Sigma 150-600C.

Thanks in advance.

Croft is a great circuit especially for Touring Cars. There are some super spots for photography especially at the first set of bends and the hairpin.

150-600 should cover most track action. 70-200 may be redundant, do you have a wider zoom for paddock shots?

No not currently, only 85mm for people and super wide 14mm, there's a gap in my gear as you can see haha.

Hi, I'm toying with the idea of trying to shoot some motorsport for the first time this Saturday, qualifying day for the BTCC and other support series at Croft Circuit. I read that circuits like Croft are often better than some of the larger circuits and with more opportunity to get good views and closer to the action with your camera? I'd appreciate any thoughts on Croft in particular.

I'd be taking my Sony A7 III, 85mm prime, 70-200 f/4 and Sigma 150-600C.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to the links I posted on the Sony thread, if you’re shooting out at 600mm you can get the attached at the chicane (easier now they’ve removed an old tree), a nice shot through the fence looking up the start / finish straight and some nice group shots at the exit of Sunny.

Attachments

• 1E73E5F6-2E43-4834-A675-02C169048F34.jpeg
    1E73E5F6-2E43-4834-A675-02C169048F34.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 15
  • AS1.jpg
    AS1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 14716427941_f48bc540a8_b.jpg
    14716427941_f48bc540a8_b.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A bit off topic but have you considered Speed Hill Climbs at say Harewood near Leeds. Normally a lot quieter spectator wise, only one maybe two cars on “the hill” at any one time plenty of scope for some good panning shots. Get some good cars there at times. Forgot, also Red Kites above.

Did you go?

No I didn't unfortunately, the Saturday weather looked ropey and I didn't want to make a 2hr journey & 2 hr return without decent weather. I definitely still plan on doing something motorsport related sooner rather than later.

We were down for the weekend, not bad weather in the end, Spending more time now spectating now than looking through the lens.

Back