Beginner Cropping

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, me again lol. I was wondering how close I could crop when shooting a bird feeder im my garden, (this is a temporary position whilst I find a better place for it) while I stayed indoors (so not to frighten birds), whan i tried with my 2 native lenses, the Panasonic 14-42mm and the 45-150mm on my Panasonic G5 (16mp mft camera) the crops where not very good, probably me over cropping, but they were very pixilated? if thats the word lol. Anyway just tried with a Pentax FF 50mm f1.7 with adapter and the images seem to crop quite well (to my old eyes) here is an example of the crop and the original image. Taken at 50mm, f2.8, iso 160. Would you find this an acceptable cropped image ??
1.JPG
1 crop.jpg

Last edited:
The 45-150 (at 150) should give better results than the Pentax lens (100), however the resulting picture cropping as per your photos is less than 2MP, so kit not going to be great

I crop pretty much everything. Try to get it in the lens where I don't actually need to crop but seems it can always use a little more. Nice thing about cropping. Bring up the picture on the computer screen and easier to see what you want. Not to say don't usually try to crop in the camera, just never seem to get it quite right. Then if your shooting pretty fast, you'd have to be awfully good to consider the crop at the same time. I'm not sure how many pixels are in my camera, D 7000, but think about 20 and I can crop quite a bit and still get a good photo. Well I think a good photo. Biggest photo's I do are 12x24.

Thanks Sangoma, will try again with that lens, but this is where I get lost lol, this crop = x mp or that crop = y mp lol, I just want to crop close enough whilst keeping a decent image, if you get what I mean lol. Having only the 2 native lenses means trying various things to get the image I like lol. I like macro. wildlife, still life some scenic shots, not a great fan of portraits only cos not good with people (they make me nervous lol), so trying to do everything with limited knowledge and gear especially wildlife is a challenge sometimes, plus not knowing what you are doing doesnt help lol.

The old trick back in the day was to put the camera on a tripod, cover it with a plastic tub or bag (leaving the end of the lens out) and use a long cable release. These days a remote or with a camera app.
Theres also a free AI program called Upscayl which does a pretty good just on enlarging images, it seems to sharpen and reduce noise in the limited testing I've done (I was impressed to be honest) might be worth a go.

Could try sitting under something like this..
(Keeping noise and movement to a minimum)

Camo net
Used to feed quail out in the yard but couldn't figure out how to get close to them. Finally my ex got them to come in when she called them. Got a lot of sage brush here so made myself a blind out of some of it. Got in the blind and had her call them in. Worked really well!

The old trick back in the day was to put the camera on a tripod, cover it with a plastic tub or bag (leaving the end of the lens out) and use a long cable release. These days a remote or with a camera app.
Theres also a free AI program called Upscayl which does a pretty good just on enlarging images, it seems to sharpen and reduce noise in the limited testing I've done (I was impressed to be honest) might be worth a go.

that’s what I would recommend as well, I used to use my canon 350D and 70-200 F4 with a cable release for the garden birds , just setup camera on tripod arrange it so you get a nice background sit back and wait

Back