Review Crumpler Pretty Boy Maxi XXXL (7500) Review

Name
Mike Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
I was a little suprised at how small the actual bag was, photos i saw made it look a lot larger than it actually is. It does however comfortable hold all my gear. Build quality is excellent, and feels expensive. Padding inside the bag is excellent, although the Velcro inserts don't actually stick very well to the inside of the bag. They do tend to unvelcro very easily. It certainly ticks all the boxes from what i wanted from a bag though.

1. Looks nice

2. Holds all my gear

3. Doubles up as an everyday bag.
Takes a few seconds to remove the inserts and heypresto. The lowepro 200aw i had before was basically just a camera bag. The sling shot design wasn't made for normal bag use.

4. Inexpensive.
And this bag really isn't expensive, i paid £39.99, and RRP is £55, which i believe is £50 cheaper than the lowepro 200aw

5. Easy to use.
I find it much easier than my lowepro 200aw to get the camera in and out. I always found with the 200aw, i had one hand always holding the flap open in sling mode. Its very easy to change lenses with the pretty boy still on.

Heres some photos:

Front view of the bag
2278029325_f7cfdc0974.jpg

Crumpler are very optimistic with their guide on how much fits in this bag. They say 2 x bodies, 4-6 lens and accessories. I was struggling to close the bag which what i had in it. The velcro shutters are rendered useless, and the clip has almost no slack.
2278029629_7f65faba17.jpg

Main flap is held down with 2 velcro patches and a single quick release clip.
2278029919_d8a4030a5c.jpg

This is the small pocket on the front of the bag. When the bag is full this pocket is almost inexistent, im hoping over time the bag will losing up, its a bit stiff as its new. In this pocket i have a Nikon ML-L3, Nikon SG3IR, flash tripod mount, camera tripod mount, lens cloth, Ipod nano and the alkaline battery pack for the battery grip.
2278030259_d814646182.jpg

The money shot - Gear shown is Nikon D80 + MB-D80 battery grip with Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 attached, on the left is a Sigma 10-20mm and a Nikon 50mm f/1.8, on the right is a Nikon SB600 flash gun. Underneath the camera are Cokin P Filters, holder and threads, which can be seen more clearly in the photo below.
2278819858_7aebfa2b0b.jpg

Here is the inside of the bag without the camera in place.
2278030895_d355437e45.jpg

Comparison with a Lowepro 200aw Slingshot.
2278820406_8d562efd45.jpg

Thanks Alex, very useful. This has just swung my choice to the XXXL over the XXL.
(y)

Out of interest, where did you get it from? And is that the Olive colour? It looks greener on their (apalling) site but yours looks nice.

I've got a Crumpler Bens Pizza XL which is very similar but obviously smaller going by your review. Can you give me the measurement across the back so I can compare? I can only guess the size of a Nikon :)

here -

crumpler5.JPG

Think this could be the bag I'm looking for.

Thanks Alex, very useful. This has just swung my choice to the XXXL over the XXL.
(y)

Out of interest, where did you get it from? And is that the Olive colour? It looks greener on their (apalling) site but yours looks nice.
I bought it from here, and yes it is the olive colour. Its a very dark, desaturated green though.

I've got a Crumpler Bens Pizza XL which is very similar but obviously smaller going by your review. Can you give me the measurement across the back so I can compare? I can only guess the size of a Nikon :)

here -

crumpler5.JPG

Think this could be the bag I'm looking for.

I measured it as 12inches which is identical to the 30cm width crumpler say on the site. Although this can be stretched to about 13.5inches. Most of my lens are pretty wide, the 10-20 and 24-70 are both close to 4inches wide each with the hoods on, so thats probably why its quite a tight fit. Crumplers optimistic 2 bodies and 6 lens is utter rubbish though :p

Mine is 2 1/2" less than that and I wanted the extra space to carry the flash with me...so it sounds ideal. Thanks.

hehe, not sure what camera bodies they're expecting you to fit in there. I have a ben's pizza xxxl, basically the version before this. I managed to cram in a 70-200, 17-35, 1dII+24-70, filters/holder/storage/cleaning cloth etc - it bulges a bit and is heavy!...great bags but somewhat optimistic in terms of dimensions at times! the material doesn't stretch much/at all, it does soften a little but retains its strength - which is a good thing. I really like it.

Hopefully, 'Santa' will have gotten my hints and there will be one of these inder the tree ;)

Should be one for me inder our tree too with luck.

Ahh I thought it said "Inside" the treee...doh!

For what its worth, I just bought one of these. Also chose dark olive colour as I spend a lot of time out in the woods and want something to look good in the street as well as not frighten off the local wildlife.

Bag is excellent for one camera and kit lens, Wide angle and 50mm plus Lee filter system and flash. No room for my sandwiches or macro I hope to buy later, but then too much in your bag means it gets too heavy anyway.
Comfy strap too. I'm a happy bunny.;)

is there any room for a small tripod on these things its just what want but i want to be able to tripod aswell any suggestions. its hard to buy a bag when you cant see it for real. does any one have any other pics of there bags.

Great review, Thanks! I have pretty much the same kit as you and almost purchased the XXL size.. Not now! XXXL all the way!!

Doesn't look like the eBay guy has any XXXL in Olive at the moment though... humph!

Many thanks,

Paul

well i was suckered in, i ordered a XXXL on tuesday night and received it today (from warehouse express) i already had a Pretty Boy Large, ordered it just after i bought my kit at the beginning of the year, but soon realised that with my kit ever growing that i needed a new bag, just transfered all my goodies into it and it all fit perfectly with room spare, all i have in it at the moment is

400D with 55-250mm
18-55mm Kit lens
an old flash and spare batteries and cards, so there is still plenty room for extras,

Thanks alexisonfire for the in depth review.(y)

Finally received my Pretty Boy XXXL from CrookedImaging last night. :clap:

£42 delivered was a bit of a bargain despite the wait (was out of stock). I notice the price has now gone up by £5!

Thanks again for the review!

Paul

Saw an XL and had a laugh at its inability to carry what Crumpler claimed - went for a XXXL vis SRS Microsystems on ebay, delivered next day.

Not swapped all my kit into it yet, but so far...

Sigma 17-35 f2.8/4 lens with hood reversed on left side, spare filter placed vertically behind it.
Canon 5d with 24-105 IS L f4 lens attached in the middle (lens down), spare batteries, CF cards etc in front pocket.

I have room for my nifty fifty (hopefully arriving today), and a flash gun.

By stacking other samll lenses over the top of others i could maybe get another 2 lenses in. Its still not a huge bag.

Excellent quality and just what i needed - i'll still use the backpack when bigger lenses have to be carried.

Back