CS2 or CS3 for full-time students

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My daughter is doing a two year college course (not photography). However, is it true that you can buy ps cs 2 or cs 3 for students at a greatly reduced price? (I could buy it on her behalf) :)

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Lisa

have a look here:
adobe education

as far as I can remember you will need to provide some sort of proof that your daughter is in full time education to qualify for the discount

Eligibility: The Adobe Student Editions are only for students meeting the eligibility criteria set out below, not teachers or lecturers. Teachers and lecturers can continue to buy Adobe Education box products. (This does not include Studio 8 Student & Teacher Edition, which is also available for teachers and lecturers.)

Proof of Eligibility Required:
Students will be required to provide proof of their current student status to install the products. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at an acceptable Education Institution (being a bona fide university or college -- including community, junior and vocational colleges or other further education colleges -- that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full time study) OR Students must be enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.
This license may only be used on a privately-owned computer. Full details of the process for submitting proof of status can be found in the box.

You may have to email them your daughter's student ID, or a letter from her school stating that she is in full time enrolment.

I've used it for buying my copy of Lightroom, it take them a few days to verify the information once it's sent ... just make sure to followup and it will be approved.

The saving is just fantstic, well worth the effort put into it. I am sure they will offer this for CS4 too, at least I hope so.

Hi

Thanks ever so much for the replies and the links.

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS3 - Student Edition (PC) - is that sort of like a 'taster' version?

Lisa

Not at all Lisa, that's the fully on full monty everything included version!

Normal retail price is around £600 :eek:

OMG Grendel - that's brilliant. One more question am I right in thinking you can only have the licence (use) of the product for two years (duration of my daughter's course?), I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure someone said the licence only lasts for two years.

Lisa

hmmm now that I'm afraid I don't know Lisa. It's not something I've heard but I would suggest looking into that before you commit :)

Just had a quick look on Adobe's web site and it doesn't seem to mention anything about the licence expiring, although it does say that you can't upgrade the product. So you would have to buy a full version if you wanted to upgrade.

Q. Can students order Upgrade Plan for their licenses?
A. No. Student licenses are treated like retail licenses, which are not eligible for Upgrade Plan. Students may purchase commercial upgrades for their licenses when new versions of products are released

PDF of the Student Licence

EDIT: Sorry Lisa, in my haste I've just realised that licence is for North America and Canada :bonk:

Last edited:
Hi Grendel

Thanks for the reply. I've just had the 'ok' from the husband, so once I've got the child's letter and ID number from the college, I'm going to order cs3 extended.

Unfortunately, my husband said 'you can buy it now as your Christmas present' - I didn't have the heart to tell him my Christmas present is actually going to be a 40D (before the offer runs out in Jan).

Lisa

Well done Lisa (y)

Good luck with getting the 40D for Christmas as well. I'm sure you can use a lady's charm to win him over ;)

Hi

It's me again.

I've been searching on the internet. I'm afraid I won't buy from Amazon or Pixmania after a really bad experience.

I found the authorised licensing centres on the web. A couple of the centres were selling the full version of ps CS3 for £139 plus postage. To be honest, they've given me the run around and have not been very helpful. But as I am a persistant type of person, it transpires that after further questions from me, that these cheaper versions expire upon graduation of the student which is no good to me.

However, one of the suppliers is selling the full version which does not expire for £205. His shop is also local to me so I am considering buying from him. He said he can activate the software upon purchase or whatever it is they do using my daughter's ID number etc at the shop.

Any comments?

Many thanks.

Lisa

TBH Lisa, if you can get a legal, full version of Photoshop for £205 I would bite their hand off! I'm not sure what he means by activating the software in the shop though, unless you're going to take your computer in with you. The product activation is usually done on line or over the phone at the time of installation.

The license itself does not run out and you will be able to use the product for as long as you want to, what the student licence does NOT allow you to do is to upgrade the product after the child has left full time education.

It CAN NOT and DOES not automatically stop working after two years.

The license itself does not run out and you will be able to use the product for as long as you want to, what the student licence does NOT allow you to do is to upgrade the product after the child has left full time education.

It CAN NOT and DOES not automatically stop working after two years.

-------------------------
That's strange then because I have been in conversation with Phoenix Software over the past two days and they tell me that I won't be able to use the software advertised at £139 after two years.

Yesterday, they gave me the number for the distributor (Computers Unlimited, person I spoke to was Ragini) she said there are two versions, one which only lasts for the duration of the student at college and another version which lasts forever.

I also spoke to one of the authorised sellers in Notts and he advised me of the same thing. He couldn't match the £139 price but could let me have the full version which doesn't expire for £205. He was the only competent person I've dealt with so far, he even said, before you buy it for £139, please ensure it's the version which doesn't expire.

I'm confused and fed up now.

Lisa

Last edited:
Hi Glen

It was:

Jigsaw
The Old Mill High Church Street
Nottingham NG7 7JA

I spoke to Tim. The £205 figure is if I collect it.

In the meantime, I found this company selling it on line for £138 delivered so I sent the following email:

To: <componentshop@lambda-tek.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:59 PM
Subject: web info request from

> Quick Code: B74375
>
> Manufacturer: Adobe
>
> Mfr. Part Number: 29400239
>
> Could you tell me if it is the full version and whether it expires after a
> certain period (on graduation) or whether you can use it forever.
>
> Also, what verification do you need to prove the software is for a
> student?
>
> Many thanks.

I've just got in and received this reply:

Dear Lisa

This is licensed for one user only and it's a complete package.

The license won't expire after sometime it's one off that lasts forever.

Hope that helps

Best Regards

Kareem
Office phone : 01865 349002 / Fax : 056 011398 98
componentshop@lambda-tek.com
www.lambda-tek.com

I know I probably sound a right fussy so and so but I've had my fingers burnt in the past and don't want to get caught out again.

Lisa

You could try these KRCS they are based in Nottingham and also have an apple store in Victoria Centre. Here is a link to the product on their website, if you give them a ring I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions, or if you are local to Nott'm then pop into the store...I'm gonna buy my mac from these as they offer propoer student discount, they are one of only a few places that offer proper apple discount, as apple changed their terms for education about 2 years ago.

https://www.krcs.co.uk/shop/product/details/adobe-photoshop-extended-cs3-student-mac

I used to buy our software/macs for work from both Jigsaw and KRCS.

Other companies in the area are Gordon Harwood in Alfreton and Derby.
www.ghc.co.uk

Finally you may want to try Computer warehouse
www.computerwarehouse.co.uk

Again all should be able to advise/offer student discounts, its just a case of who can offer the best price.

:)

Here is a panel of type off the Student version from GHC, I think the bit that isconfusing is where they say that...highlighted in red.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended (Student Edition)
(Stock Code 48276)
This software edition is for student use only. Before you can install the software, you must obtain a serial number by completing and submitting the Student Edition Order Fulfillment Form enclosed in the box.

Eligibility
Only full- or part-time students enrolled at a higher education establishment, defined as an accredited public or private university or college that grants degress requiring not less than two (2) years of full-time study, or students enrolled at an accredited public or private secondary school providing full-time instruction are eligible for this product.

You may purchase only one license of any Student Edition. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer.

Proof of Eligibility
Before installation, students must provide a valid, current student ID that includes name, date, and a photo to Adobe via fax or email. If you do not have a current student ID you must instead provide a valid photo ID and evidence of current enrolment.
Continue Shopping

Last edited:
You could try these KRCS they are based in Nottingham and also have an apple store in Victoria Centre. Here is a link to the product on their website, if you give them a ring I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions, or if you are local to Nott'm then pop into the store...I'm gonna buy my mac from these as they offer propoer student discount, they are one of only a few places that offer proper apple discount, as apple changed their terms for education about 2 years ago.

https://www.krcs.co.uk/shop/product/details/adobe-photoshop-extended-cs3-student-mac

Hi Thanks ever so much the Victoria Centre one is best for me, I'll ring them tomorrow, I use windows.

Thanks for putting the conditions on here too, now it's just a matter of pinning my daughter down to get her student card. It might be best if I take her to the shop with me. :LOL:

Thanks again.
Lisa

I find bribery always works, just offer to get her a treat :LOL:

Glad to help.

I find bribery always works, just offer to get her a treat :LOL:

Glad to help.

Thanks Glen, I really appreciate your help, I'll slip her a few quid. :LOL:

I'm aiming to buy it this week.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Did you manage to get a copy??

Lisa

Why don't you just buy it from Adobe's UK website Education Store.

As the CS4 Creative Suite has been announced, why not wait a month or so and order

Photoshop CS4 Extended Student Edition - Direct from Adobe Education Store for £158

But I would pay a few £ extra and get

Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Standard - Student Edition £186

Which includes:

Photoshop CS4
InDesign CS4
Illustrator CS4
Acrobat 9 Pro

Thats a lot of extra for only a few £ more

Save's all the hassle you look like your having.

Mark

Last edited:
Lisa

As the CS4 Creative Suite has been announced, why not wait a month or so and order

Photoshop CS4 Extended Student Edition - Direct from Adobe Education Store for £158

Which includes:

Photoshop CS4
InDesign CS4
Illustrator CS4
Acrobat 9 Pro

Mark

Now that sounds like a plan, well done for spotting that, totally forgot that they could get the whole lot for a few quid more, nice one. :clap:

Now that sounds like a plan, well done for spotting that, totally forgot that they could get the whole lot for a few quid more, nice one. :clap:

I got the master suite for CS3 as I got it paid for by a fund for mature students.

Just filled in may application for funding for the Master Suite CS4, fingers crossed I get it.

Hi Lisa,

Did you manage to get a copy??

Hi Glen

I tried KRCS but they only sell Mac versions, not windows.

I looked at www.ghc.co.uk but I couldn't see any windows versions on there.

Lisa :)

:LOL:
Lisa

Which includes:

Photoshop CS4
InDesign CS4
Illustrator CS4
Acrobat 9 Pro

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for posting, greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at the Adobe website now.

Now, my daughter is on a ONE YEAR full-time course (not two year as I thought, bad mother).

She obviously has a student ID. I should still be able to buy a student copy shouldn't I?

Sorry to sound dim.

Lisa

Last edited:
:LOL:

Hi Mark

Thanks for posting, greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at the Adobe website now.

Now, my daughter is on a ONE YEAR full-time course (not two year as I thought, bad mother). However, she should go on to do another course which is three years, after completing the first year. She is doing the course at South Notts College which is a college of many years standing.

She obviously has a student ID. I should still be able to buy a student copy shouldn't I?

Sorry to sound dim.

Lisa

Lisa

Yes you can get a student copy all you need is a current student ID card or a letter from the college on letter headed paper. The length of the course doesnt matter.

When you buy the software from adobe, you have to send an email with a photograph or scan of the student ID card, they verify it and then issue your codes etc.

The software will function for as long as you want it too you dont have any time limitations. The only limitation is you are not allowed to use it for commercial purposes ie make money from using it.

Mark

Thanks Mark, now I'm probably going to go for CS4 on its own. ETA end of October if i order it now.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I've just purchased photoshop CS3 extended for students with a free upgrade to CS4 extended for £151, includes delivery and VAT. Purchased from Student Software.co.uk.

p.s. Glen, thanks for the link.

Many thanks.

Lisa

Glad to hear you got this sorted Lisa :)

As the Educational Establishments description mentions primary schools, does this mean I could purchase a copy for the kids, get a letter from the school confirming that they are pupils and we're on our way with CS3?

Sorry to hijack the thread - but on the subject of cheaper software for students, try looking at this site www.software4students.co.uk mainly for M$ products, but prices are pretty good

cheers

As the Educational Establishments description mentions primary schools, does this mean I could purchase a copy for the kids, get a letter from the school confirming that they are pupils and we're on our way with CS3?

Hi

I'm not sure if you can buy it for children who are at school. This is the criteria for students:

Proof of Eligibility Required:
Students will be required to provide proof of their current student status to install the products. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at an acceptable Education Institution (being a bona fide university or college -- including community, junior and vocational colleges or other further education colleges -- that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full time study) OR Students must be enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.
This license may only be used on a privately-owned computer. Full details of the process for submitting proof of status can be found in the box.

When I ordered the copy, I had to select my daughter's college from a drop down list, enter the tutors name and give details of the course.

Sorry, can't help you much. Maybe it means teachers can purchase the software, I've no idea.

Lisa

Back