Curious .what would you do?

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I've pulled into the side of a road other togs are all around me............I've /We have been trying for a hare, on the way back home I pass a short eared owl site ,which also holds barn owls. So We pull up on the side of the road because there is a barnie sat on a post.there's hope it might just come to us. I don't leave the camper, barnie is too far but hey just sit here a while wait it out one never knows.

Folks see me they know I'm on something...so herein is my question....you are that wildlife image maker on foot what would you do? would you walk up to the bus and make images plausibly spooking owl would you leave that one?

Cheers for your thoughts

stu

Myself, I'd leave alone, I hate spooking wildlife, I also hate the thought of spoiling someones elses chance/work.
Plus one on this too, also I’m not one for disturbing others and for me photography and especially wildlife photography is my time to be alone and as at one with nature as I could be.

Ii'll be quiet a while lads, will say thanks for the replies though, I'd like to see what replies go down before telling the story

thank you
Plus one on this too, also I’m not one for disturbing others and for me photography and especially wildlife photography is my time to be alone and as at one with nature as I could be.
as one with nature as I can be...that is such a fab sentiment J.hat off I adore that

With you all on this. If someone was in a vehicle obviously watching something I'd stay well out of the way. If they were out of the vehicle I'd still hang back but see if I can see what they're looking at. If they were on a path and I need to pass by I'll just wait quietly. I'm not in the 'get the shot at all costs' camp. I'm happy to spend a bit of time just in the moment. I hate it when people don't extend the same courtesy to me but I just let pass. I'm not big enough to pick an argument

I'd avoid out of respect. I would also like to think that I'd get that same respect back but sadly, it doesn't always happen.

I could tell many a story, especially regarding last year. I spent over 300 hours in the field (well, by the river) and came across many a character. Most were nice enough, some were curious, one interaction was quite threatening. In my case though, the folk I met weren't photographers, so maybe they didn't have that foresight or understanding of the situation I was in. Regarding wildlife, if I saw a photographer onto something a distance away, I would walk the other way.

It's not so bad with landscapes, which I also indulge in but even then, I'm uncomfortable with folk around, I'd rather be on my own (save for a buddy now and again). It's my time alone, away from the pressures of life and I like to make the most of it.

Last year, on the river, I was kind of forced into more public areas, closer to housing, a footpath and a car park. I never felt comfortable, mainly for fear of giving away a location but also, after my threatening encounter, I could never really settle. I forced myself to do it though, I know how to hide and I often had people feet away and they had no idea I was there. That in itself, made me nervous as if they did see me, they'd get a fright, which is something I have to consider too. I did get images in the end but it was a fraught mind game at times to sit it out.

I will still be watching that area this year, people and all but I have been granted permission on a field that a river runs through. It is ideal habitat for my target, absolutely primed for them, all I need, is for my target to turn up. The potential there is huge, I've already found a badger set during a foray and recce yesterday. I saw a big Roe buck too. It's a dream for me and there are unlikely to be people there, photographers or otherwise, as it's private land.

One concern I have, harking back to revealing a location, is that there are other photographers around my patch. Being blunt, most don't have a clue and also, no respect for the few that do and also, no respect for the wildlife. They just want the glory shot in many cases, of an animal or bird, usually at a distance but close enough to disturb it. The damage is done by then but at least they have their image, of a very distant and usually blurry subject to put on their FB group......and where it was. :rolleyes:

Annoys me that one.

All that said, I did have to approach a guy a couple of years ago. He was at a Schedule 1 nest site, feet away from the nest. He was camoed up and under scrim but I knew he was there. He'd even painted himself a nice little 'No Fishing' sign and stuck it in the banking. I explained to him the situation, and apparently, he had no idea the nest was there:thinking:. I doubted his explanation but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and he agreed to leave the immediate area. That took a lot from me, it was right out of my comfort zone but he was doing potentially severe damage to the nest. It went on to have 2 successful broods that year.

Sorry, I digress a little but there is relevance.

In a nutshell, I would respect any wildlife photographer I could see in a situation where they have a target in sight and keep my distance. The other photographers in the know do often return that sentiment but sadly, they are few and far between.

My vigils are my time, it's a bit of a church for me, good for the soul and all that and maybe the guy I can see 1/2 mile away, with a camera, is in the same situation.

He/she would get my respect. (y)

Last edited:
I'm a birder first and photographer second, and I'm afraid toggers get a bad reputation among the birding community, often sadly deserved. Rant incoming.

I live a close to a known Short-eared Owl site. You can watch it from a public road (with a car park), or from a variety of public rights-of-way around the edges of the fields where they hunt, and where you can conceal yourself if you have any fieldcraft whatsoever. I stopped to have a look yesterday afternoon, to see a togger walking in the open across one of the (private) fields. He actually put up an SEO, but didn't see it as he was looking the other way. Of course, he was never going to get close to an SEO wandering about like that. There were a couple more standing in the open at the edge of a more distant field - a ringtail Hen Harrier appeared over the summit of the hill they were on and noped back down the other side - it probably wanted to roost close to where they were standing (again, they weren't looking in the right direction).

I can't express how much I hate this clownish behaviour, preventing the birds from feeding and roosting in their preferred area on one of the few calm dry days we've had down here recently. It's an offence to disturb wild birds in this way and more importantly it's a threat to their survival.

I'd avoid out of respect. I would also like to think that I'd get that same respect back but sadly, it doesn't always happen.

I could tell many a story, especially regarding last year. I spent over 300 hours in the field (well, by the river) and came across many a character. Most were nice enough, some were curious, one interaction was quite threatening. In my case though, the folk I met weren't photographers, so maybe they didn't have that foresight or understanding of the situation I was in. Regarding wildlife, if I saw a photographer onto something a distance away, I would walk the other way.

It's not so bad with landscapes, which I also indulge in but even then, I'm uncomfortable with folk around, I'd rather be on my own (save for a buddy now and again). It's my time alone, away from the pressures of life and I like to make the most of it.

Last year, on the river, I was kind of forced into more public areas, closer to housing, a footpath and a car park. I never felt comfortable, mainly for fear of giving away a location but also, after my threatening encounter, I could never really settle. I forced myself to do it though, I know how to hide and I often had people feet away and they had no idea I was there. That in itself, made me nervous as if they did see me, they'd get a fright, which is something I have to consider too. I did get images in the end but it was a fraught mind game at times to sit it out.

I will still be watching that area this year, people and all but I have been granted permission on a field that a river runs through. It is ideal habitat for my target, absolutely primed for them, all I need, is for my target to turn up. The potential there is huge, I've already found a badger set during a foray and recce yesterday. I saw a big Roe buck too. It's a dream for me and there are unlikely to be people there, photographers or otherwise, as it's private land.

One concern I have, harking back to revealing a location, is that there are other photographers around my patch. Being blunt, most don't have a clue and also, no respect for the few that do and also, no respect for the wildlife. They just want the glory shot in many cases, of an animal or bird, usually at a distance but close enough to disturb it. The damage is done by then but at least they have their image, of a very distant and usually blurry subject to put on their FB group......and where it was. :rolleyes:

Annoys me that one.

All that said, I did have to approach a guy a couple of years ago. He was at a Schedule 1 nest site, feet away from the nest. He was camoed up and under scrim but I knew he was there. He'd even painted himself a nice little 'No Fishing' sign and stuck it in the banking. I explained to him the situation, and apparently, he had no idea the nest was there:thinking:. I doubted his explanation but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and he agreed to leave the immediate area. That took a lot from me, it was right out of my comfort zone but he was doing potentially severe damage to the nest. It went on to have 2 successful broods that year.

Sorry, I digress a little but there is relevance.

In a nutshell, I would respect any wildlife photographer I could see in a situation where they have a target in sight and keep my distance. The other photographers in the know do often return that sentiment but sadly, they are few and far between.

My vigils are my time, it's a bit of a church for me, good for the soul and all that and maybe the guy I can see 1/2 mile away, with a camera, is in the same situation.

He/she would get my respect. (y)
On a side note to this and the question/attitude of (some) other photographers.

There have been thankfully only a few odd times when I have either already been in a hide or enter a hide to be greeted by loud & intrusive chatter by other occupants. Both distracting and IMO ignorant/inconsiderate of the birds + wildlife we are all there to enjoy seeing and photographing.

Plus, and please note I am very encouraged that youngsters are brought to hides to learn & understand......young mums bringing buggies with very young kids in who are there for a chat and the kids make a racket etc.

A bugbear of mine, especially in hides, is photographers who leave the focus confirmation bleep on. It's the first setting I change on a new camera.

Something that really used to jerk my chain was taking placement photo's at field trials. Standing there with the camera up shooting and some jerk steps right over in front of you to take his own picture and then picture taken he stays there cause he likes the view. People can be rude beyond belief!

guys first up apologies for not replying sooner.driving the best part of 2 hours to site then grinding at price, so ya just don't stop ya hammer it and stay over to finish, is brutal and taking it's toll, I kinda have an hour before I need to be in bed for the next day's early start.

2nd can I bung heart felt thanks for the time taken in replies the details the thoughts..............bless ya all.........a good read

3rd well you me olde mates are the rare un's........here's the tale :

We pull up, 2 togs spot that see the lens go up inside bus the come and shoot over a wall right in front of us.wait a while then go
car pulls up behind us tog gets out makes pics and leaves

I must add barnie is sat tight preddy nonchelant not bothered

Shaz says maybe get out shoot lower.meh I'm gonna sit tight here babe wait a while see what gives

another car pulls in tog gets out makes pics

barnie stays put
barnie wakes up stu misses take off barnie is in flight for say 3yards barnie catches vole stu makes lame toooooo far images but is smiling barnie has food

barnie returns to perch

another tog turns up gets out makes piccies

barnie sits tight tog goes away

then to my complete disbelief 5mins on barnie snags second vole....maybe 5 yards this time.......preddy sure I missed that as well.I'm frankly so tired right now I'm gonna open DPP to refresh shattered old brain

OK yeah did grab some pics but nowt is what I really want to make.............but that kinda doesn't matter..me ickle owl is 2 kills up we watched both and were amazed by how easy barnie hunted this one particular night ( evening)

Last tog turn up tries to get closer.............. spooks owl

So to sum up basically there is alot going on here despite lack of YOUR ( bless ya I love that you are RARE ) toggin' etiquette barnie did ok made 2 kills with so little energy expended it was a joy to watch.........only we watched that

This is the big thing for me....a predator lives in a world of a knife edge make the grade............ make kills or perish..................... the image makers weaved a web around that.by chance barnie did well me happy.......oh so happy
but it could have been so different.........OMG it really could

I wrote about me struggle with this short eared owl site (many other image makers) last images posted i really want everyone to make stunning images of what ever really owls hares roe beasties..tis soul food

But I don't know how one balances many togs in one place and the wild............... life of one subject ?

Yet at the same time I adore the joy of a lady telling me her experiences of going on the web and watching a short eared owl quartering in broad day light...................warms ya heart one wants that for everyone

I just am clueless as to how to balance wildlife image makers.the interweb and the sheer numbers of humans ( read wildlife togs)

I can't blame anyone for wanting an image...how one educates the masses as to where you guys are thought process wise is also a mystery

J, my happy place is a baby hare so close I can't make images.......that is a hard won thing to do over and over and also mad I want to make pictures Earning that takes time and is always alone,( bar my lady who has been slightly left behind ( uncerimoniously dumped she says) in usually a good place it seems

Getting to that place with others in the mix is hard ( Ii'd probably say impossible .getting to a place where images are no longer important just the joy of a beastie is maybe a lesson for all of us image makers,bloody hard mind I so want to make that image :headbang:

right nuff said thank you all again for your thoughts:cool:

bye

stu

guys first up apologies for not replying sooner.driving the best part of 2 hours to site then grinding at price, so ya just don't stop ya hammer it and stay over to finish, is brutal and taking it's toll, I kinda have an hour before I need to be in bed for the next day's early start.

2nd can I bung heart felt thanks for the time taken in replies the details the thoughts..............bless ya all.........a good read

3rd well you me olde mates are the rare un's........here's the tale :

We pull up, 2 togs spot that see the lens go up inside bus the come and shoot over a wall right in front of us.wait a while then go
car pulls up behind us tog gets out makes pics and leaves

I must add barnie is sat tight preddy nonchelant not bothered

Shaz says maybe get out shoot lower.meh I'm gonna sit tight here babe wait a while see what gives

another car pulls in tog gets out makes pics

barnie stays put
barnie wakes up stu misses take off barnie is in flight for say 3yards barnie catches vole stu makes lame toooooo far images but is smiling barnie has food

barnie returns to perch

another tog turns up gets out makes piccies

barnie sits tight tog goes away

then to my complete disbelief 5mins on barnie snags second vole....maybe 5 yards this time.......preddy sure I missed that as well.I'm frankly so tired right now I'm gonna open DPP to refresh shattered old brain

OK yeah did grab some pics but nowt is what I really want to make.............but that kinda doesn't matter..me ickle owl is 2 kills up we watched both and were amazed by how easy barnie hunted this one particular night ( evening)

Last tog turn up tries to get closer.............. spooks owl

So to sum up basically there is alot going on here despite lack of YOUR ( bless ya I love that you are RARE ) toggin' etiquette barnie did ok made 2 kills with so little energy expended it was a joy to watch.........only we watched that

This is the big thing for me....a predator lives in a world of a knife edge make the grade............ make kills or perish..................... the image makers weaved a web around that.by chance barnie did well me happy.......oh so happy
but it could have been so different.........OMG it really could

I wrote about me struggle with this short eared owl site (many other image makers) last images posted i really want everyone to make stunning images of what ever really owls hares roe beasties..tis soul food

But I don't know how one balances many togs in one place and the wild............... life of one subject ?

Yet at the same time I adore the joy of a lady telling me her experiences of going on the web and watching a short eared owl quartering in broad day light...................warms ya heart one wants that for everyone

I just am clueless as to how to balance wildlife image makers.the interweb and the sheer numbers of humans ( read wildlife togs)

I can't blame anyone for wanting an image...how one educates the masses as to where you guys are thought process wise is also a mystery

J, my happy place is a baby hare so close I can't make images.......that is a hard won thing to do over and over and also mad I want to make pictures Earning that takes time and is always alone,( bar my lady who has been slightly left behind ( uncerimoniously dumped she says) in usually a good place it seems

Getting to that place with others in the mix is hard ( Ii'd probably say impossible .getting to a place where images are no longer important just the joy of a beastie is maybe a lesson for all of us image makers,bloody hard mind I so want to make that image :headbang:

right nuff said thank you all again for your thoughts:cool:

bye

stu
Hi, many thanks for the update, a very interesting story just such a shame these opportunities are spoilt by the odd individual who goes in like a bull in a China shop no care in the world and makes reckless choices. I’d hazard a guess it’s a problem in other areas of life too and not just us photographers, you often see it in shops etc and like you say just poor etiquette really.
I fully understand where your coming from with regards wildlife living on a knife edge and relying on their skills and a touch of luck to survive.
Once again thanks for the update and best of luck.

Your owl certainly knew who its friends are Stu. At least the majority of the people who turned up didn't disturb it too much
It always makes me uneasy when you hear a report of a rare bird blown onto our shores needing a rest and packs of photographers chasing it, or the people that hounded that poor walrus. I've seen the odd rarity but it's been quite by chance, from a long distance or a hide, Purely right place right time. We had a rarity on the local reservoir a while ago and I had a bit of an argument with a guy over part of the shore which has no public access. He went in anyway. I just walked away. What can you do? Maybe his photos were better than mine but for me just watching it was enough
Only you got to see the owl catch, twice. What a privilege
Had to break off in the middle of writing this to take a call as I work on the Bat Conservation Trust helpline. It's heartwarming to know that people who know nothing about wildlife actually do care when they find something that needs help. So hopefully that's one tired and hungry bat on its way to someone who can look after it till it can be released back in its patch.

Back