Curlew having lunch..

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I watched this curlew for 3 hours from the hide. I was initially quite a way off but eventually came close. I missed catching it,the first time, as it washed the worm, it did it three times so I put together a sequence.

I also saw a peregrine taking off with a teal hanging below it. I wondered how it had killed it on the ground...the teal was not in flight. I found the nearest thing to it..Pretty amazing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OvZ_l35Sw

qyu8uh.jpg

eun03c.jpg

2ckhaq.jpg

2vv4d2g.jpg

2w6563k.jpg

6s6ule.jpg

13ygd4n.jpg

Always good to get a Wader with a worm John, looks like it got a good meal too ... nice sequence. :)

The linked video is very brutal but…

Why do I have the impression there is a
lack of critical focus here, John? :confused:

I never knew curlews don't like dirty worms. Every day's a school day. The last two are the sort of shots I was hoping for on Sunday but the birds were very mobile and the curlews stayed too far away.

Always good to get a Wader with a worm John, looks like it got a good meal too ... nice sequence. :)

Thanks,Roger. It had three worms. Obviously feeds very well as it looks in pristine condition.

The linked video is very brutal but…

Why do I have the impression there is a
lack of critical focus here, John? :confused:

Brutal,indeed. I was taken aback with the suddenness of the strike.I've never seen that before.

You'll have to clarify that,Daniel. I focused on the eye,as ever. If that's what you meant.

I never knew curlews don't like dirty worms. Every day's a school day. The last two are the sort of shots I was hoping for on Sunday but the birds were very mobile and the curlews stayed too far away.

Thanks,Jan..This one was a way off for quite a while too. I got lucky that it came near the hide (Holden..east end) Also the sun was shining quite brightly at times and when a cloud passed by there was quite a difference to the feathering.

I can't believe what happened to that poor duck in that video!! :eek:

Nice curlew pics

Cracker shots of the Curlew, had no idea they were so OCD with their worms!! ;)

Jez that PF was quick, even in the slowmo it seemed an impossible feat!!!

Prairie Falcon supposedly max speed 90mph and Peregrine falcon max 200mph which (if correct) is phonomenal!

I can't believe what happened to that poor duck in that video!! :eek:

Nice curlew pics

Thanks,Gil. (re. the Curlew).

Unbelievable force by that falcon and over in seconds. I spoke to a member of staff at Slimbridge and he said they lose a duck a day like that AND sometimes a buzzard will nick the prey from the peregrine. He said he saw two buzzards doing that one day.

Cracker shots of the Curlew, had no idea they were so OCD with their worms!! ;)

Jez that PF was quick, even in the slowmo it seemed an impossible feat!!!

Lol....I thought that too, a very fussy eater, obviously doesn't like soil. Thanks for comments. I was lucky that the sun gave very bright light on it too and the water looked quite nice (blueish) with the sun on it, so pleasing all round.

I was taken aback by the speed at which that mallard was hit.,When it rolled over it looked as if the falcon had hit it mid-chest,maybe where the heart is..a great hole..unbelievable. I posted it as it was so unusual and you could say ';educational' or informative, certainly enlightening. I think the norm is to take them as they're flying.

Prairie Falcon supposedly max speed 90mph and Peregrine falcon max 200mph which (if correct) is phonomenal!

Mind-blowing,Roger. I was aware that the peregrine can get up near 200mph..I didn't know about the Prairie Falcon.

I just did a google. In Washington,USA, a 'pet' Peregrine called 'Frightful"..very apt..lol..was recorded at 242mph diving from 3 miles up. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/70929-fastest-bird-diving

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back