Currys reducing camera stock levels?

Edit My Images
No
Both the Chester and Wrexham branches of Currys seem to be dramatically reducing stock levels of camera and lenses. I also noticed this when I visited branches in Hereford and Exeter. Whilst there are still cameras on some stalks at Chester and Wrexham, the glass display cabinets are virtually completely empty. I've also seen some big price reductions on certain stock, cameras having a reduced price and then a 'take 50% off the listed price' sticker. I've seen this on the Sony RX100M1, Lumix G800 and some Canon G series compacts, but it varied from branch to branch. I actually bought the RX100 with case for £114, less than the secondhand value. It was sold as non pristine, I couldn't find a mark on it but the box had been opened. It's probably worth a visit for anybody looking for walkabout cameras whilst they are still there, I do wonder if they are pulling out of photography equipment, I didn't see my usual assistants to ask.

Can't say that bothers me in any way I have NEVER bought any photographic equipment from this type of outlet :)

Les

I've never bought any photographic equipment there either, BUT it does act as a route into "camera" photography (rather than "phone" photography) for many people who would never otherwise have encountered it. Some of those people will end up getting bitten by the bug and may even end up on here...

Meantime there's probably a whole generation out there who don't even realise that a standalone device called a "camera" even exists, so anything which helps to educate them can only be a good thing. (And yes, I do accept that phone cameras are good enough these days for most casual photography).

The problem as I see it is that in many places throughout the UK, Currys is the only camera outlet for miles around. Here in Chester, we are fortunate to have Currys, LCE, Wilkinsons and John Lewis, but venture into North Wales and there are no other outlets other than Currys Branches until Colwyn Bay. Carry on to Holyhead and there is nothing, same in Caernarvon, Bangor, Ruthin, Denbigh and Wrexham. Of course, the average sales advisor in Currys probably knows next to nothing about cameras, but for those buyers how know what they want and are prepared to be patient, sometimes they have some stunning manager markdowns on cameras and lenses. All my Tamron FF lenses came from Currys brand new and half price when they decided to ditch Tamron Stocks. My Olympus 40-150mm lens and Pen Bag combo was sold brand new for £40 and of course my new RX100 mentioned above, all way below secondhand prices. So I would be disappointed if they do pull out, it could cost me a fortune! The only place I never buy from is Argus, normally the silliest prices to be found anywhere.

Back