Custom Fed 1G Thread

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Well that don't take long...

I'm not going to do any crazy conversions on the 1G because options are pretty limited (although I did see a video last night where someone's embedded a Sony digital compact inside a Leica ii body and it was a very neat job..). However, I keep picking up the camera and feeling like it's a bit too thin to hold comfortably. I'm not a fan of half cases at all so it's already out of the one it came with so my other option is printing a grip like the one I did for the Pen FT.

(I can't take credit for the 1G model I've built around!)

IMG_1476573687.305229.jpg

IMG_1476573719.812154.jpg

This is a rough estimate for depth, around 20mm at the deepest point so not huge but should add enough extra grip for comfort.

IMG_1476573774.089100.jpg

I've built in a 1mm indent on the face of it so I can bond a leather insert into it to make it a bit more comfortable than the hard plastic as well as making it blend in with the body better. I'll bond it to the original base plate with thin double sided tape so the base can be removed to load/unload film and also keep the grip attached to the body.

The only other feature I might include is a basic split ring so I can fit the same single finger grip I use on my other cameras meaning I can hold the camera securely with one hand.

Yep. Didn't take long. I get the comfort bit. But hate what it does to the look.

Thanks for the honest feedback Trevor. I'll measure up against the actual body today to see how big the grip really needs to be. I googled some Leica grips last night as I was drawing this and made it a similar shape but maybe it's a bit chunky.

Last edited:
I'd wrap the body in clingfilm and lay up Plasticine (other brands of modelling clay are available!) to get the depth needed to be comfortable without being too bulky. TBH, I'd then carve the grip out of hardwood and fix it to an Aluminium base plate rather than 3D print it, although maybe you could allow for a bit of veneer or leather to be stuck to it?

Thanks Nod. Last time I did that here I got laughed at because the grip was bright orange ;0). Although I like some wooden grips, I always think they look too 'stuck on' because they're a different material to the camera. That was my thinking behind printing the grip with black PLA and inlaying black leather/vulcanite to match. I'll have a play around with the shape before I print.

Some of the Leica grips are basically a circular tube standing alongside the body. Has anyone used these, how comfortable are they?

IMG_1476600867.849346.jpg

IMG_1476600874.838328.jpg

Hmmm....

This one isn't working for me Steve.

I'm looking at my Fuji X100s, there is a slight bulge to the front and a very clever, tiny little bump where your thumb sits.

Hmmm....

This one isn't working for me Steve.

I'm looking at my Fuji X100s, there is a slight bulge to the front and a very clever, tiny little bump where your thumb sits.

I've been looking at alternative styles too and have been trying to draw up my own flatter style 'bulge' but haven't got something I'm happy with yet. The Fed body is quite thin so any additional grips are looking a bit out of place.

Yes, I have used a Thumbie on my Leica M8 for years. It helps greatly with the handling and feels totally integrated with the camera design.

It has worn to a nice brassy finish. One virtue it that it can be removed leaving no marks.

I have used cameras with the Leica grip but didn't take to it.

I'd have thought for a Fed camera the hand grip should be made from spare parts from an arms factory, maybe a Kalashnikov barrel? ;) (And that's us on the Watch List, folks...)

You're over thinking it. Keep it commando.

You're over thinking it. Keep it commando.

I do get that but also find the body a bit awkward to hold because I don't have anywhere to attach the finger grip I usually use so it doesn't feel quite secure.

I've extended the grip around the back of the top plate too to incorporate a thumbie to add some more support. I'm not sure if I'll print any of these, maybe I just like the creative process playing with ideas!

IMG_1476647836.965058.jpg

IMG_1476647845.294793.jpg

IMG_1476647854.148889.jpg

Another option. This would be bonded direct to the body/top and bottom plates so there wouldn't be any additional height to the camera.

View attachment 75645

Very attractive Steve, but IMO if you are going to make a grip make a decent sized one...looking at my cameras they are quite meaty e.g.

t70-01.jpg

Very attractive Steve, but IMO if you are going to make a grip make a decent sized one...looking at my cameras they are quite meaty e.g.

t70-01.jpg

Arrgghhh!!!! My eyes :D

Following this with interest Steve, as I have a rather nice Zorki 6 ....................:D
The delayed action lever and button (self timer) looks like it will be in the way of the fixed grip.
The base fixing type would be more suited.
I like the idea of the grip though!

The lever on the top plate of the Fed is for rewinding the film rather than a self timer. When it's set to rewind it only just sticks out past the edge of the top plate so shouldn't catch.

The lever on the top plate of the Fed is for rewinding the film rather than a self timer. When it's set to rewind it only just sticks out past the edge of the top plate so shouldn't catch.

Its on the front on the Zorki6 about 1" from the edge.
That's what I meant, sorry!

Do you want me to send it to you? :p

Nah, just kidding mate!

Convert the camera to APS - the canisters are smaller... (See post #21!)

Is there a 'don't like' button? :D

Convert the camera to APS - the canisters are smaller... (See post #21!)

Yeh, but still such a weird shape!

Unrelated to the grip but I've just re-greased the helicoid in my Industar-61 lens and it's like a different lens now. When I received the camera/lens, the focus ring was pretty lumpy and was sticking so I stripped it down and cleaned out the old grease which was pretty much solid (follow this guide for pictures - http://mattsclassiccameras.com/how-to/industar-61-relubing/) but was left with a lens that was smoother but had a little bit of lateral movement on the mount.

I looked around at recommended grease for helicoids and ended up buying a tube of 2205 synthetic grease from en Ebay seller which arrived earlier so I've just stripped the lens down again and greased the threads along with the face underneath the threaded mount ring and it's now rotating smoothly and all of the lateral movement has been stopped so good all round :0)

I got told off for greasing my helicoids... I was in the park though so maybe that was the problem. :D:confused:

I seem to remember that one of the Chinon models had a small "grip" that just cliped into place, could one of those be used with a small mod?

Back