Cygnets

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just a quick question. I moved to Northumberland early last year and during my exploration of my local area I found a disused quarry which was flooded. A visit a few weeks ago I saw a pair of Swans with four cygnets, but today's visit I was disappointed to find a heavy machine pumping the water out. The 'lake' looked about two thirds down on the level of a few weeks ago and I estimate it will be empty in a month. My concern is the cygnets will not have learned to fly in that time, and will remain trapped there. Is this concern misplaced or should I contact the RSPB or other? Thanks.

How big are the cygnets?
Is there any other water nearby?
Swans will often walk some distances with their young so walking to a nearby waterway is not out of the question.
Can you contact the owners of the quarry asking them to make arrangements for the welfare of the birds?
Failing all else the RSPCA may offer advice or help.

Hi Gramps, the cygnets are roughly quarter that of the adults. Nearest water is about 3 miles distant. I think I will ring the RSPCA on Monday, and as you say, they may advise. Thanks.

Hi Gramps, the cygnets are roughly quarter that of the adults.
Not quite so vulnerable then :)
Looks like they could be taken the 3 miles to the water, possibly where the parents came from.

Hi all, just a quick question. I moved to Northumberland early last year and during my exploration of my local area I found a disused quarry which was flooded. A visit a few weeks ago I saw a pair of Swans with four cygnets, but today's visit I was disappointed to find a heavy machine pumping the water out. The 'lake' looked about two thirds down on the level of a few weeks ago and I estimate it will be empty in a month. My concern is the cygnets will not have learned to fly in that time, and will remain trapped there. Is this concern misplaced or should I contact the RSPB or other? Thanks.

Any result..?

Any result..?
Hi John. Well, I phoned the RSPCA and they said they would send an officer to check out the situation. I'm going to keep watch myself also, though recent rains seem to have topped up the pond quite a bit, so I'm hopeful it will pan out OK.

Hello Jack - I've just seen this! I live next door to the Severn and the swans are my neighbours. I'm a big fan:)! A useful source for advice is The Swan Sanctuary and they have an emergency phone number (landline):

Back