D200 noise handling...

D2X is a fair bit worse then the D300? or D200?

Worse than both.

But the D2X is better at base ISO than either (sharpness, micro-contrast).

The D2X tops out for IQ past ISO320. Its downhill quickly from there.

As people have mentioned before, as long as your exposure is correct, there isn't much of a problem with noise. On the other hand, you usually ramp up the iso cos you can't afford the slower shutter speed...bit of a catch 22!

As people have mentioned before, as long as your exposure is correct, there isn't much of a problem with noise. On the other hand, you usually ramp up the iso cos you can't afford the slower shutter speed...bit of a catch 22!

Well in the case of the OP, with his lenses, he could gain two stops (ISO3200 down to ISO800 for example) just with a lens change- with faster glass than than standard kit lenses, you gain shutter speed, which helps control the ISO.

IMHO - folks are too quick to look at a body change as a panacea and IMHO the root cause of the OP's noise problem is his slow glass...

IMHO - folks are too quick to look at a body change as a panacea and IMHO the root cause of the OP's noise problem is his slow glass...

Which is why I'm looking at bodies in the 400-500 pound bracket, it leavs me some left over to buy a new lens as well.

Heres a rough comparrison between a d200 and d300. Wayne
3526290952_41771562d2_b.jpg

That's considerable, but not nearly as bad as I'd expect from the reviews I've read. Thanks for posting that Wayne.

Back