D200 Repairs

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
So I could use a few repairs to tidy up my D200. Nothing affects picture quality but the LCD glass cover on the back is a bit scratched, the buttons don't really have logos on them any more due to rubbing fingers.

Any idea if the plastic protecting the rear LCD is easy to swap? How about the status display on the top, is that one easy to swap? Expensive parts or not, should imagine a couple of bits of plastic wouldn't be too bad!?

Would 'new' buttons require a new outer body, or can you just get and fit buttons to the camera? Better yet can you just get new symbols for 'em?

Also debating replacing the DK-21 which has a bit of torn rubber around the edges with a DK-21M to give me an artificially bigger view of things. Does anyone have one of these fitted, would you say it's an improvement?

Nikon UK will replace the buttons on the back for a tenner, mine started wearing off - I asked them to do mine yonks ago when it went in for a banding fix.

Not really keen on the DK-21m tbh, if you can pick one up cheap by all means try it, otherwise see if you can get a DK-17m which is awesome and do the online mods to fit it :) (Google this)

It won't be cheap for the LCD change, in fact, tbh you'll be looking at around £85 + p&p at least for what you want to do.

As its cosmetic, I'd not bother personally...?

It won't be cheap for the LCD change, in fact, tbh you'll be looking at around £85 + p&p at least for what you want to do.

As its cosmetic, I'd not bother personally...?

Does it require a full LCD swap, or can you just change the plastic cover? There's nothing wrong with the display technically, I just wanted to put a fresh unscratched cover on it prior to using a BM-6 to protect from further abuse!

Thanks for the info about the DK-17M -- the modifications don't look too tough. Is your reason for rating this higher because of the (slightly) higher magnification or does the roundness help somehow, more comfortable, etc?

The reason for not rating the DK-21m is that is basically crap :)

It makes bugger all difference to size (1.1x) and its hard to read the display at the bottom. The DK-17m is stronger, and its just much nicer. I put one on my D700 recently.

You'd need to ask Nikon if the LCD cover is a removable part, they may replace the whole LCD! It depends if its "bonded" or not.

You'd need to ask Nikon if the LCD cover is a removable part, they may replace the whole LCD! It depends if its "bonded" or not.

If it's not bonded then I'd be up for having it changed. If it means a whole new LCD unit then I'll stick on a BM-6 and soldier on with the business at hand ;)

Back