d200 significantly better than d40?

ta.

if you had to choose between a d200 for 400 quid or a d300 for 750 what would you buy?

I'm sorry, where did you see a D300 for £750? enquiring minds want to know! :)

dave

2nd hand, put up a wanted add here.

hmm.. that leaves me in a quandry.. I'd like a D300 and I'm happy to have a second hand one if it's in good nick. but I'm also a relatively new member here so I can't post my own wanted ad, and I can't seem to respond to yours...

erk

Fuji S5 Pro - £460 or so new, will work with all your old lenses and as long as you're not planning to shoot motorsports or something like that it'll be far more useable than an old D200 or a half a D300 :LOL:
Except that it's now discontinued (unofficially). As of Friday, the last 60 ever were sitting in a customs shed and all stock has been allocated to retailers.
one of those has my name on it, I believe that Jessops have been allocated some, I know where 5 (including mine) are going, don't know about the rest.

So, if you want one you MAY be lucky - but you'll need to move fast.

I love and hate reading these threads.

I have been looking to upgrade my D70 for some time. I have been leaning towards the D90 because of the increased High Iso (reported) performance. And also this last few days have been looking at D200s on ebay (they seem to be selling for between 350 and 425 at the moment) /EDIT hit 2 instead of 3 on the firest price lol

Bur now I am thinkin maybe a fuji s5pro.

I have just had a second wedding booking so new a secodn body (last one I borrowed a minolta dyanx 7d for backup from work- perhaps a better camera than my d70, but I know the D70 better) and have also been thinking about simply replaceing that at work, and me havingthe minolta myself (I am the only one that uses it and to be honest it isnt really the right camera for the job at hand)

decisions descisions

Or my camera club, less than £600 :)

Although thats a one off really :)

err.. does this mean there is one available, or not?

and did you edit this post, because the email I got telling me about a new post had different contents! :)

dave

The S5 is still listed on Mifsuds's site so if anyone's still after one, it might be worth a call to them. 01803 852400. Price on their site is cheaper than the price they're selling a 2nd hand D200 body at.

:LOL:

Don't forget all the "ex-demo" £300 ones on Amazon (y)

Personally I wouldn't trust anything on Amazon Marketplace at that price.

Best legit price I've seen is Clear-R-Gear for refurbs. I think you might have started a thread on that?

Fuji s5 Pro, just ordered from mifsuds (thanks for the link)

will let you know when it arrives

For anybody that is interested, my S5 came today, and first impression :-- wow the feel of it puts my d70 to shame, it just feels that much better made, and the buttons layout :)

one thing that surprised me and stumped me for a moment (have RTFMed yet) there is no s/A/m/p wheel

instead there is a mode button you press and it displays on the screen what mode you are in

cant wait to get out there and try it :)

one thing that surprised me and stumped me for a moment (have RTFMed yet) there is no s/A/m/p wheel

instead there is a mode button you press and it displays on the screen what mode you are in

so, just like the D200 it's based on then? :)

yes, but that wouldnt mean anythign to somebody who hasnt used a d200, would it?

TBH the Mode button approach is so much easier to handle without taking your eye from the eyepiece even (y) Just hold down the mode button with your shutter release finger and turn the rear wheel with your thumb... tis great. The M,A,P,S appears in the viewfinder aswell as the top LCD

lol simon yeah, thanks for that, there is a world of differnence between it an my d70(relegated to backup camera) B8Burble, do agrea with you, just stumped me when I couldn't find it lol

embarressing question (havent had time to plough through the manual, or play with the camera for more than a few minutes) can you get it to automatically display the last pic taken on the display (was auto on with my d70 and d50 before that) or is that another pro feature I have to get used to (yeah I know you can press the button to playback the image)

and what CF cards do you recommend, my extreme 3 is woefully slow writing in the s5

The S5 Pro produces 25 megabyte raw (RAF) files,so you can't really speed things up by changing the CF. If you shoot JPEF + RAF as I do, you are producing 28 megs of data per shot!

Image review is a bit slow and weird generally. IMHO don't worry about chimping as the S5 Pro always produces great files with no effort,so you don't need to keep checking up on it via the LCD :)

yeah again your probably right, no need to keep checking. I shoudl trust my ability.

(im sure it will say this in the manual - I am away from home till tonight so do intend to have a good read when i get home) how many RAW shots will the S5 buffer before I need to wait for them to write.

Does seem to take a long time to write, which coudl be a problem at times.

Is this just a case, of having to change my mentality to adapt to a pro camera.

Does seem to take a long time to write, which coudl be a problem at times.

Is this just a case, of having to change my mentality to adapt to a pro camera.

As far as I am aware, the Fuji is slower at processing than the Nikon equivalent bodies (remember it's based on the D200 body but with Fuji software/firmware), also as PD says the size of the files are huuuge.

To display the last pic taken the setting you want i:s Setup --> Display --> Image Display --> Continuous / 4sec / 2sec / off. But as PD says it is slow to come as the buffer has to be cleared first and of course eats away at the battery, I don't have it on mine (It's easy enough to push the display button to see the last image taken when you want to chimp anyway).

As for the speed , the S5 Pro is a slow beast and I believe that the Extreme III's you have will give you the best performance possible on the camera (the Extreme IVs may give a really tiny fraction more speed but I doubt you'd notice it and IMO not worth spending the extra on). Shooting RAW only with full D-Range control on mine is reporting 8 frames to fill the the buffer, although just having tested it I'm getting between 8 and 9 frames before it has to clear the buffer on my fastest Extreme III (the 30MB/s version).

The only time this would be a problem is if you are trying to use the S5 for things it was never designed to do (like sport or papping). Landscapes and Weddings is where this camera really shines and in both of these you won't want to be machine gunning away :D

thanks simon.

Last wedding I did, I put the d70 on burst, taking about 3 or 4 shots a pop (to make sure I minimised on blinkies, and to be honest it paid off, I was able to rescue more than one shot where some %$^%^& guest didnt want to look at the birdie)

I guess I need to time it myself so I know how long I have to compose next stop.

Back