d2x vs newer d90 ect

Name
mandie
Edit My Images
Yes
D2x vs d90,
Please advise,looking at upgrade.Was looking at d90 but friend has offered d2x to me,which i have of course looked up resale price,but not confirmed sale price with him.Do i go newer model 2nd hand with d90 or go with d2x?Can go out and buy brand new entry level camera for same money with higher iso and spec ect,or go for older tech but pro spec at time.Which do i do d2x or d90,cant shame myself to go and get entry level new:bang:
Been on nikon 40dx for past year so need to look at more challenging camera.Answers on post card please:LOL:

Post card received but buggar all on it:LOL:
Been waiting for d90 replacement to come out so i can get d90 2nd hand cheaper but now been offered d2x and all in a spin.Were do i go?:bang:

D2x is bigger and heavier with much better weatherproofing. On the downside it's nowhere near as good at high (over 400) ISOs and uses much more expensive batteries.

Out of interest, what glass do you have/or are planning to get?

have 18-70m ed 4.5 dx niknon and borrow of 55-200 ed vr dx nikon,but was looking at macro 90m or 60 m tamron ,but clearly need to sort up grade first before i buy macro lens,so you can see my dilemma:bonk:

The D2x is pretty poor at anything over 400 iso, it's also a lot older, IMHO you would be much better off buying the d90.

High ISO on the D2x is fine up to 1600 depending on A) getting your exposure right (and knowing how to minimise ugly noise through good exposure), and B) how large you're going to be outputting.

I regularly shoot ISO 800 on both my D2Xs without a problem. Okay, you're not going to get D3x/s quality, far from it (it probably doesn't even match the D300) but it's all guided by what you're shooting. Press stuff that I do, well, I've never had a complaint from an editor yet.... it's better to have a slightly noisy great shot than a fine-detailed crap one.

Battery life is immense; I'm getting 1200+ shots from standard EL-EN4 that's on half its life. I also use the better EN-EL4s, which will give you 2000+ shots per charge. Yes, £90 a pop is expensive but you get double the life of an EN-EL3 or smaller battery.

It is heavy, especially with big glass attached. It's comfortable though and handling is sublime compared to anything smaller, especially smaller bodies with grips attached.

Weather proofing hasn't let me down yet, and I work in crappy conditions a lot.

6fps at full res and 8fps at x2 crop might not stack up so well these days against the smaller bodies but there's never a bottleneck in the buffer and you can shoot 'til your heart's content.

I keep thinking that I should move up to a newer body, either a D300s for the crop factor and or a D3 so it's identical (bar the D3 is FF) but I am loathe to ditch my D2Xs because they're reliable, tough and produce images I have no complaint about. But it is old tech....

ISO500

The Camera That Started It... by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

To the OP - are you going to be shooting a lot of natural light stuff in low light conditions or will you be using, say, ISO 100 on a tripod for landscapes? If it's the former and you want to shoot black cats in coal holes then maybe ship the D2x... if it's the later then I'd get it, if it's the right price. £650 for a low miler is a good price :)

Last edited:
I had this kind of conversation with my brother a few weeks ago, he has a D100, cost the earth back then (well over a grand).. he's finally admitted defeat and is going out to get a new D90 next week as he cant afford to go for a D300 or D700 and wants something lighter for a forthcoming africa trip

Go with the D90 you wont be disappointed, body only £589 as you already have the glass

well iancandler he had better hurry up as d90 replacement being launched i gather 18th of this month,hence my post will 2nd hand price drop due to being replaced,or will it rise due to being a icon,so should i go for d2x?Replacement is being launched in german photo fare along with 2 new lenses.I gather,up with new stuff but lacking in older stuf so hence link.

looked at price on dreaded flee bay and seems to swing in the same as d90:help::help:
i spose it all depends on what price he offers me for his d2x.But must stress iv only looked around at price tonight and is open to being at right place at right time.:naughty:

well iancandler he had better hurry up as d90 replacement being launched i gather 18th of this month,hence my post will 2nd hand price drop due to being replaced,or will it rise due to being a icon,so should i go for d2x?Replacement is being launched in german photo fare along with 2 new lenses.I gather,up with new stuff but lacking in older stuf so hence link.

I think monday will be quick enough :D

Post card received but buggar all on it:LOL:
Been waiting for d90 replacement to come out so i can get d90 2nd hand cheaper but now been offered d2x and all in a spin.Were do i go?:bang:

weird ! I sent it via 2nd class ! :LOL:

anyway !
I would get myself some good glass. and by good I mean the best .
at least a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or 24-60mm f2.8 sigma if not the older nikon 28-70mm f2.8

bodies - depend on what you're shooting. I would love to try out the D2x as I like how the pics looks like from old Nikon pro digitals. D90 is probably the best option. but if you can get the d2x for really cheap, maybe go for it .

I think you should go for the D2x & then after a little decide it's too big & heavy for you & then give it to your boyfriend.
That definitely seems like the best idea to me :)

I've owned a secondhand D2x for a couple of years now. At the time I bought it, my choices were a three way tie between new D90, used D300 or used D2x.

The D2x is a lovely camera to handle. I find the output stunning when I can keep the iso to 400 or less. To be honest though I find the performance above 400 to be quite limiting. I've been to a few weddings this year and struggled to get usable shots in the evening even with an f2.8 lens. I would also have liked to have the focus micro adjust of the D300. If I was choosing again I would go for a used D300. If the choices were limted to new D90 or used D2x I'd probably go with the D90.

Last edited:
double post somehow???

i was on my mobile though so.........................

Last edited:
something's wrong with TP today . I had a double post as well :|

Double posts are the least of our worries - seems we're overrun with *****s banging on about raw Vs jpeg in the other sections. The world's gone mad, mad I tells ya!!!!... :D

You would be saying this of course as you couldnt have your Mrs having a better camera than you:razz:
Iv sent him a message and asked how much he wants for it as all boils down to price at the end of the day.He is a pro so it will have alot of shutter counts onit so may reflect in his asking price:naughty:
So we wait and see,but upgrade does have to be sorted by next month as daughters birthday and giving her my d40x:LOL:

i used the d2xs for a few years and it is great in good light, for me anything over iso200 was poor(not good enough for a paying customer)

d90 with good glass would be a lot better.

there would not be a lot the d2xs could do better than the D90. dont get caught up in the whole pro looking camera,

its not a D3

good luck

Oh yes sorry my lost post was directed at Tirpitz as Mrs Tirpitz he would be trying to get his hands on it,if bought would be for me(y)
Hard luck tirpitz:razz:
But thanks all for input and what a mixed bag of replies,some from d2x owners and some from d90.
So all in a dizz:nuts:

I'd ultimately go with a D90 and grip. Grip will make it more like the D2x in terms of size and hand positions (although maybe not in the weather proof category though) and if you want to go portable you can always take it off. But you'll get better higher ISO coverage.

Well iv looked at his message again and its the d2xs which from what iv read not much different but will make it newer,so price i no doubt will be higher:eek:

Nah. I still think you need to get it, use it for a week & decide it's too heavy & give it to your boyfriend :)

I sold my D2x a couple of months back and got a second D90.

The D90 noise at 1600iso is the same or better than the D2x at 400iso (yes I know how to expose properly and I compared in identical conditions and subject).

I ve not found anything the D2x can do that my D90s cant and Im usually taking 1000plus shots a month of all sorts.

Unless you are a strong girl the D2x will kill you, its very big very heavy built like a tank, (D90s quite well built as well), to take a lot of abuse from news togs who wont baby their equipment. It is a lovely precision instrument as well and I liked using it but I actually

1. slightly prefered the image quality from the D90
2. rarely took it anywhere with me as it was too big and heavy and
3 love the high iso performance of the D90.

So I sold it and got a second D90 and have no regrets.
I really would nt recommend a D2x for a woman as I think its a camera for larger hands and greater strength than the average girly has.

Last edited:
Somehow I don't think the D90 will achieve iconic status

Daft statement, anyone who has owned or used one knows it already has...it's an amazing and totally capable camera in virtually any situation.......

I would check just how a gripped body feels in the hand - they are heavy (but solid) and if you have small hands then it may not suit you. But that applies to any body that has a grip. BTW, I don't know if you were thinking of gripping a D90 in future and what the dimension are with the MB-80 stuck on, but I know the D2x is smaller than a D200/300 with an additional grip fitted if that's any help.

Overall, I look at it this way:*

You can buy a Focus ST that has plenty of poke, is comfortable and is probably a very, very well-rounded fast car that sums up what modern performance motoring for the masses is all about....

...or, for similar money, you can get a Sierra RS500. Old fashioned, dated, probably not as comfortable or refined as the ST, but without doubt, it's a better car to own because it's more life enriching thanks to the character and charm it oozes in spades.

I'd have the Sierra every time.

By virtue of the fact you're asking about the D2x, I think you secretly know that's the camera for you :D

(*This analogy may mean nothing to you so I'll apologise in advance :))

Last edited:
If you could let me know where you've seen an RS500 for Focus ST money I'd be more than grateful and utterly astounded.

He has got back to me.Has said hes not sure of price and difficult were friends involved,Asked me what price i had in mind and said checking on ebay.Iv been watching ebay for past few days and price does vary greatly depending on shutter count.Which iv asked him to check exif and let me know,He looks after his gear and had it serviced recently.He deals with fashion and studio work many so not been dragged round a rugby srum(y)
As for size iv looked at spec and comes in just over a kilo.Iv handled Tirpitz gripped d200 which didnt make me fall over,but yes granted much heavier than my d40x but could get use to this.
My only concern is the iso performance as d90 does do very well.
So again once i get price and shutter count were know what were dealing with:LOL:

High ISO on the D2x is fine up to 1600 depending on A) getting your exposure right (and knowing how to minimise ugly noise through good exposure), and B) how large you're going to be outputting.

I regularly shoot ISO 800 on both my D2Xs without a problem. Okay, you're not going to get D3x/s quality, far from it (it probably doesn't even match the D300) but it's all guided by what you're shooting. Press stuff that I do, well, I've never had a complaint from an editor yet.... it's better to have a slightly noisy great shot than a fine-detailed crap one.

Battery life is immense; I'm getting 1200+ shots from standard EL-EN4 that's on half its life. I also use the better EN-EL4s, which will give you 2000+ shots per charge. Yes, £90 a pop is expensive but you get double the life of an EN-EL3 or smaller battery.

It is heavy, especially with big glass attached. It's comfortable though and handling is sublime compared to anything smaller, especially smaller bodies with grips attached.

Weather proofing hasn't let me down yet, and I work in crappy conditions a lot.

6fps at full res and 8fps at x2 crop might not stack up so well these days against the smaller bodies but there's never a bottleneck in the buffer and you can shoot 'til your heart's content.

I keep thinking that I should move up to a newer body, either a D300s for the crop factor and or a D3 so it's identical (bar the D3 is FF) but I am loathe to ditch my D2Xs because they're reliable, tough and produce images I have no complaint about. But it is old tech....

ISO500

The Camera That Started It... by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

To the OP - are you going to be shooting a lot of natural light stuff in low light conditions or will you be using, say, ISO 100 on a tripod for landscapes? If it's the former and you want to shoot black cats in coal holes then maybe ship the D2x... if it's the later then I'd get it, if it's the right price. £650 for a low miler is a good price :)

It's not as good as the D90 (and I know how to use it propery as well)

D2x.

'nuff said.

Or maybe not..... :LOL:

The intangible pleasure of using a full spec pro body is immeasurable. - and I still use gear several generations before the D2x on a daily basis - although it *is* for purely amateur use - balancing that, I do also have a D300 for when it all gets a bit much for my D1x.

-Rob

The D2x is actually better than the D90 in some repects but worse in others. Overall I prefer the D90 having experienced them both side by side over several months.
I loved using the D2x it feels like a precision instrument and despite its size and weight was very comfortable to hold and use. Cant say I noticed the intangible but immeasurable pleasure like Robert :) but did like it a lot.
My concern for Mandy is I suspect unless shes an Amazon, it will be both too big for her hands and too heavy for her to carry round but ok for use at home or studio. Im not a feeble little thing but I just ended up leaving the D2x at home a lot more whereas my D80 and D200 I had previously used to be with me most of the time as now is my D90.
Using the D2x with my Sigma 150mm and SB600 on a bracket with small soft box which is my usual macro "hunting" rig I used to get bad backache after about 30mins, I get no trouble with the same rig with the D90. I mention this as Mandy intends doing some macro stuff I think and you are often bent forward when trying to get the best shot of the bugs without frightening them off.
If the guy selling is Mandys friend I would strongly suggest she borrows the D2x for a few days and carries it round with the 70-200 f2.8 she has sometimes for a few hours to see how she gets on, I think she ll be shocked by the weight compared to her present D40 rig.

Spanishphil i can see were your coming from,my d40x is small in comparison ,but just dont want to pass up on opportunity of getting decent camera.Just found out tonight it has 31k shutter counts and been watching ebay and seen one go for £792 with 3500 shutter counts so this would put ball park figure surely at around £5-£600 bracket,saw one go for £790 but higher count so very random. Puts me back to similar price bracket for d90 new,and as nikon just released replacement tonight,this would affect d90 price 2nd hand:nuts:.Im no small feline,but no im not a "unit" :LOL:
Bare facts are price vs spec vs newer d90 with d90 replacement out???:bang:

Well deal has been done,
im a proud new owner of a d2xs,picked it up today,and have to say been round house(weather rubbish outside)And totally happy with latest purchase! In fact i think iv fallen in love:love:
Perfect arrangement,Hes a pro with a mac and im a apple fix and repair engineer,only had certain budget to go to,so a real favour,and he knows his mac is well looked after,plus also got nikkor lens 18-70 lens which i have so can pass on to my daughter as well as my d40x.
Perfect!
Trying to get to grips with buttons and dials,as not like what iv seen before,but i can hop in and out of settings at a touch like iv never had before.Truly thankful to him for opportunity(y)

Back