D3---70-200VR Problems

Name
Gary Matthews
Edit My Images
Yes
Odd Question really, if anyone has come across this problem, I have just sold a 70-200 2.8 vr to a nice chap, he has a D3, (Lucky g*T)....He phoned me saying that he could barely see anything through the lens (dark)......when putting on another lens ...no problems....Last time I used the 70-200 no problems, been sitting around for the last 3 months, so decided to sell........my first thought was the DOF button on the D3....I can't think of anything else that would cause this problem....anyone have any ideas?:thinking:

Sounds like a stuck aperture, the blades are probably jammed at something lower than f/2.8 (which is where it should be)

"My thought was also that somehow the lens is activating the DoF preview?! ".....so would that be the camera activating it or the lens.....I suppose it would be the lens thinking about, due to the fact the his other lens does not cause it.......repair bill, going to be????

Well get the guy to stick his eye down the lens and see if the blades are out or not lol.

Really strange now......the Guy came round with his D3 (still lovely-- the D3 that is), as he said, it was a dark veiwfinder (but pictures were clear on the back screen when taking a pic), but when I put it on my D300+D200 no problems whatsoever (70-200)...when sticking about 4 non VR lens on the D3 no problems......so I think the conclusion we have come too, is that his D3 has a glich supporting VR lens.......strange!!!!

Hi do you think maybe it might need a firmware update thats if it is the older model.like the d2's d2x's they need firmware updates to use VR lenses. just a thought,hope this helps

Try cleaning the contacts first - always look for the simplest things before fearing the worst.

By "dark" do you mean an all-over dark or just the corners? I think, being a DX lens you will get vignetting on a D3

Well....it was designed for use on APS-C cameras and causes vignetting on the D3, which kinda suggests it's to all intents and purposes a DX lens.....

The new 24-70 vignettes, as does the 14-24.

There isn't a problem that needs to be "fixed" IMHO regarding the 70-200 VR.

Shoot any of them wide open, and they ALL vignette. Its normal.

Vignetting is as old as photography itself.

I think it is

its definitely not a DX lens .... i have a D3 and tried a mates 70-200 VR 2.8 on it and it is definitely a full frame lens ... as is my own 80-200 AF-D 2.8 also. All Nikon DX lenses i believe indicate it on the lens too.

There appears to be a firmware update for the D3 that adds a vignette control to the shooting menu, but we still don't actually know if that is what the new 70-200 owner is having problems with....

Its not a firmware problem - the vignetting control is a JPEG setting that applies a mask in-camera to raise the corner levels.

The post is about a dark viewfinder, not corner shading.

There appears to be a firmware update for the D3 that adds a vignette control to the shooting menu, but we still don't actually know if that is what the new 70-200 owner is having problems with....

There must be someone else with a D3 and 70-200....

Where's EdinburghGary when you need him?:LOL:

I have a D3 and 70-200. No problems here.

Chris :)

I agree. It's a full frame lens and it doesn't present a "shaded" border area of the viewfinder like a DX lens does on the D3.

The Op's question is about a dark view finder - but I can't say I've seen this on the D3 with this lens so can't really help.

Sticky aperture blades seems the most likely answer. Cant think how/why though!

If the blades are sticky, surely they would stick on both the FX and the two DX cameras and not just on the FX one?

If the problem only shows up with one camera body that would suggest the problem lies with the camera and not with the lens. On the other hand, the fact that other lenses work fine on the D3 suggest that the lens is at fault......:shrug:

Oooh, so many comments......Just to clarify, the Veiwfinder is dark all over, not in the corners......It's like the DoF button has been depressed, as to the 70-200, it works fine on the D200 and D300 and also a couple of film camera's we have, crystal clear viewfinder's.......So I really think the guy has a problem with his D3......Mmmm anymore Idea's ?

Oooh, so many comments......Just to clarify, the Veiwfinder is dark all over, not in the corners......It's like the DoF button has been depressed, as to the 70-200, it works fine on the D200 and D300 and also a couple of film camera's we have, crystal clear viewfinder's.......So I really think the guy has a problem with his D3......Mmmm anymore Idea's ?

From what has been said, I would suggest that his D3 body rather than the lens may need looking at?:shrug: Several of us have encountered no problems with this body and lens combo, so surely the problem lies with the body? ( Edit: if the 70-200 works fine on other cameras.)

I have a D3 and 70-200VR. There should be no problem.

The lens doesn't have electronic aperture so it can't be the contacts. My bet is that he's bent the aperture lever on his D3. Can you get to compare it with your other cameras?

This is a long shot but when I had my D2 my missus knocked the camera whilst changing a lens and the foccusing screen below the prism fell out giving a vignetting effect probably not the answer you need but worth a look

Does it do with on his body with other lenses? If it's ok on your and other bodies then it's his D3.

My D3 and 70-200 have never done this.

Tried other Non Vr lenses (17-55 dx, 10.5 Fisheye, and some other cheaper lenses) on the D3 and they seemed fine, it was just the Vr he had the problem with...........I have tried to phone him, but no answers at the mo.

Back