D3 owners thread.

I hope auto iso isnt like my d300s. You set it to cap at 1600 and you go outside on a glorious day at 11:59am and it always selects iso1600!!! completely useless.

Fortunatly ISO is a little button on the top so easy to adjust manually.

You definately are doing something wrong - or the camera is broken - it works a treat! My guess is you have the ISO set to 1600 - it should be set to the lowest ISO you want the camera to use.

You definately are doing something wrong - or the camera is broken - it works a treat! My guess is you have the ISO set to 1600 - it should be set to the lowest ISO you want the camera to use.
Just to clear up any possible confusion from our two messages.

You set the cameras ISO to it's lowest, but in Auto ISO menu you set it to the highest you want it to go to - if that makes sense. That way the camera will always adjust the ISO within the range of the lowest ISO the camera is set to and the highest ISO you want it to go up to as set by Auto ISO menu.

If the light levels are lower than the max ISO you selected, it will start to reduce the shutter speed to keep the exposure correct.

Sorry if I confused! It seems very simple to me - but then I read the manual! :)

I hope auto iso isnt like my d300s. You set it to cap at 1600 and you go outside on a glorious day at 11:59am and it always selects iso1600!!! completely useless.

Fortunatly ISO is a little button on the top so easy to adjust manually.

also make sure the minimum shutter speed on the auto iso is not set set at a very high value (fast speed)

I think there are times when it could be useful, such as shooting an indoor event with variable lighting conditions but there is no way I would just "leave" it set to auto iso.

It's very handy. I often set shutter and aperture, dial in max of 6400 and let the camera decide what to use, works very well :)

I am so pleased I can now come out of the closet, I thought it was wrong and that I was some how perverted with all the comments like "why do you need to spend so much on a body", "all the gear and no idea", I'VE GOT A D3 , there I've said it and I feel liberated.

There have to be more D3x owners than you think on this forum.

Can we still be part of this D3 thread or do we need our own?

There have to be more D3x owners than you think on this forum.

Can we still be part of this D3 thread or do we need our own?

I think you can join, don't tell anyone but 1 of my D3'S has an x on the front.

Can i post a photo here??

This is what a D3 gives you - out of the box, no photoshop etc.,

1162695577_mr4RS-L.jpg

ok - i did cheat - i used a tripod!

:)-))

S&X are welcome..ooh sounds dirty :D

I have taken the time to set up my menu and must say I am using it a lot.

The ability to get auto iso, fx size quickly is a win for me.

The function button is set to virtual horizon which is great for group shots, less editing now.

Speedilght SB900

With the D7000 I can control the SB900 from the camera as a off camera flash.

Can i do this with a D3 or do I need to buy another SB900 to be the master?

Ray

You need a SB-900 - or and SB-800 or an SU-800 as the master controller.
Don't let that stop you getting a D3 though! :)

You need a SB-900 - or and SB-800 or an SU-800 as the master controller.
Don't let that stop you getting a D3 though! :)

It's ok I've had one for about 2 years ;), but I only just boug the SB900 today.

But with an ISO of 5800000000 who needs a flash?

Ok - I do, but only because I'm trying more fancy stuff.

Does the D3x control the off camera flash like the D7000 or does that still need an on camera flash?

Last edited:
None of the D3 series have on board flash.

Speedilght SB900

With the D7000 I can control the SB900 from the camera as a off camera flash.

Can i do this with a D3 or do I need to buy another SB900 to be the master?

Ray

It's ok I've had one for about 2 years ;), but I only just boug the SB900 today.

The and ISO of 5800000000 who needs a flash?

Ok - I do, but only because I'm trying more fancy stuff.

Does the D3x control the off camera flash like the D7000 or does that still need an on camera flash?

No the D3 (x or s) Does not fire off camera flash. To fire off camera flash I now use the Hahnel Combi TF system with muti receivers for more than one flash gun or to fire the camera and multi flashguns from a single remote. I got it from here

No the D3 (x or s) Does not fire off camera flash. To fire off camera flash I now use the Hahnel Combi TF system with muti receivers for more than one flash gun or to fire the camera and multi flashguns from a single remote. I got it from here

Cool, just what. Need, I have an old one of these that just controls the camera. I obviously have not spent long enough browsing in photoshops recently :)

Thanks

anyone else had this? I bought a set of the young-yo 602's but they don't fit into the hot shoe :bonk:

Oooo! I've just joined the club! In the process of upgrading my firmware right now ...and looking lovingly at my D3. :D

The23rdman said:
Oooo! I've just joined the club! In the process of upgrading my firmware right now ...and looking lovingly at my D3. :D

Never thought I'd go noink but it's a nice place to be :p

I still find myself absent-mindedly looking at canon lenses on the forum though. Still hasn't sunk in.

What are folks using for sensor cleaning? I'm going to have to do something about mine :(

What are folks using for sensor cleaning? I'm going to have to do something about mine :(
A cut-up old credit or oyster card, lint-free wipes and 100% (or 96%) alcohol works a treat for me. Eclipse is methanol. Isopropanol would work as well. The alcohols just need to be free of impurities other than water. Don't use acetone though, as it dissolves polyurethane and other plastics. http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Okay, I've beeen playing around with this thing for a couple of weeks now. I took a load of test shots of my little boy, Noah, at between 1600 and 6400 ISO. My reason for buying this was the ability to up the ISO and have many more keepers in low light due to higher shutter speeds. This hasn't proven to be the case though and I'm not sure I'm expecting too much, but I would think I'd could expect better than this 100% crop shows. Is this user error? Any settings I'm missing?

Test shot

Not a D3 owner (D700) but the noise looks fine to me, it just looks out of focus - I see it was shot at f/1.8 - bearing in mind it's a child (hardly static) are you 100% confident in the lens/body nailing that or have you fine tuned it already?

The noise isn't an issue. It's focus that's bothering me. I have checked the lens and it seems fine, but I will check again. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of this shallow dof stuff with babies so need to nail it. Is it shake? If it was out of focus it would have hit somewhere.

The noise isn't an issue. It's focus that's bothering me. I have checked the lens and it seems fine, but I will check again. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of this shallow dof stuff with babies so need to nail it. Is it shake? If it was out of focus it would have hit somewhere.
Is the image not cropped? If my calculations are correct, that's only the central ~40% of the frame. Maybe you are expecting too much.

Last edited:
It's a 100% crop. Yes, I'm expecting it to be sharp! This IS supposed to be a pro body and should be capable of sharper shots. I'm okay if it's user error, but if it is I need to know how to set up the camera to hit these more often.

It's a 100% crop. Yes, I'm expecting it to be sharp! This IS supposed to be a pro body and should be capable of sharper shots. I'm okay if it's user error, but if it is I need to know how to set up the camera to hit these more often.

Maybe just needs fine tuning the micro-adjustment?

what's your focsing set to, have you tried taking the shot with continuous af on?

Yeah, it may be a MA issue, but I have checked it before.

I always shoot moving targets with continuous AF.

Back