D3 owners thread.

Managed to pick up an immaculate D3S a couple of weeks ago in the classifieds. What a camera :eek:

Took it out on it's first job the day after I got it and set it up like I would the D3. Absolutely flawless performance, loving it :D

Again it depends what you shoot but it (auto ISO) is one of the most fantastic features on the camera. You can set the shutter speed and aperture that you need - and let the camera adjust ISO to suit - but within paramenters that you set. Great for sport or other high speed action in varying light.
Agree 100%, for wildlife photography it's absolutely superb. I probably shoot in AI mode 95% of the time.

HI D3 Owners,

how much should i be looking to pay for a s/h D3 - any good places you see them come up?
Keep an eye on Grays of Westminster for the odd bargain here and there.

Not much help, but for 'some' form of reference I sold mine in Nov last year for £2050 with about 30k shots. So should be going for less than that now.

Might be worth holding fire a couple more months just to see if anything new is announced in August as then there could be a flood of D3s hitting the secnod hand market and that'll drop the D3 even more!

HI D3 Owners,

how much should i be looking to pay for a s/h D3 - any good places you see them come up?

going rate seems to be £1600 to £1800 if you go by the classifieds here.

wilko said:
I beg to differ! I bet my D3s can get to 60, quicker than that piece of c**p can get to 60. I reckon 60 Frames in about 5 seconds on crop mode, or jpeg? :LOL:

In fact it hits 130 in about 12 seconds in crop and 14 seconds in full frame. I tested it and put it on YouTube. Sad but fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Km2pCM0K0&sns=em

ive just joined the D3 club, well not quite yet, but as soon as it comes in the post :)

Upgraded from a D90 to a D3 :) Very very excited :banana:

Ah bless! :D
Welcome to the club - I see you've changed your camerabag already :)

Couldn't wait until Tuesday, just finished my soup, and having a beer while opening the box's........man this 70/200mm is a big puppy
Oops forgot to mention what I got;
D3s Body
70/200mm f2.8 VII
16 GB Scan-disc Extreme Pro....(last one in the shop so will get another one next week)
Phottix-cleon-wireless-remote
RS-7 Strap
Hoya UV filter

Oh.... got a new ironing board for the old lady

Now thats just showing off... A hoya filter, you show off. I bet the sales staff were fighting to out that order through the fills? Lol

Now thats just showing off... A hoya filter, you show off. I bet the sales staff were fighting to out that order through the fills? Lol

They really are not that bad over here I think I paid £265 for the 77mm.......... Not bad seeing as they are probley the best.

A couple of shots with the new D3s and 70/200mm
dsc0353su.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0254c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0215ly.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guys,
whats the consensus on using Auto ISO once the light starts to fade.....on my D7K I had this set to 1600 and there would be noise at that setting but I have tried my D3s and at 6400 no noise so saying that would you think it is OK to set the ISO to auto once the light starts to fade or when indoors?????????

I think you've answered your own question Neil... if you are happy with the noise handling at 6400 then yes set it to 6400. Everyone has their own acceptable limits before noise intrudes too much. The D3s is obviously superior in this respect to the D3 and I would have thought that you could go higher if you need to

I think you've answered your own question Neil... if you are happy with the noise handling at 6400 then yes set it to 6400. Everyone has their own acceptable limits before noise intrudes too much. The D3s is obviously superior in this respect to the D3 and I would have thought that you could go higher if you need to
Thanks but I am trying to find out whether or not using ISO auto is detrimental to taking pictures and I guess if you select Auto ISO then I would need to switch to M so that I can determing both aperture and shutter????

Thanks but I am trying to find out whether or not using ISO auto is detrimental to taking pictures and I guess if you select Auto ISO then I would need to switch to M so that I can determing both aperture and shutter????

I use auto iso for most of my type of work. I set mine to 12,800 and have no issues. I have the auto iso selection on a custom button so I can quickly switch it off if I use flash. All I do is set the iso so I'm happy with ambient vs flash. Then just jump between the two! And yes on manual as in most circumstances when you require such high iso as you'll be ignoring the metering anyway!

I almost feel guilty handing in invoices these days!

18-270 said:

Hey steady that's taking things too far. LOL

i use it sometimes when noise would be better than blur at concerts,i still prefer to go no higher that 3200 with the D3s if i can.

but then i shoot jpeg and dont use any noise reduction.

i always shoot in aperture priority preffering to adjust with exposure compensation which i can judge/alter quickly,then again i have a lot of varying lights at concerts.
even in the day i mostly use spot metering as well
if you set the exposure compensation to reset its quick to go back to original settings.
i also use "my menue" a lot with iso settings at the top and accesed by the front button which take me to "top item in menue" setting.

you may like imelda may be going...

JM7_2404.jpg

but it works for me :)

JM7_2523.jpg

i use it sometimes when noise would be better than blur at concerts,i still prefer to go no higher that 3200 with the D3s if i can.

You should be able to go a lot higher than that with the 3s - I go to 6400 with the D3 when I have to.

i know,but i dont want to swap good technique for high iso unless totaly neccesary.
how i managed film at 1600 iso i dont know.

I don't think I ever shot film above 400 ISO!! That's the joy of the D3 - freedom to shoot things you just couldn't before. If you don't want to go higher than 3200 I'll swap you a D3 for the D3s!!

I don't think I ever shot film above 400 ISO!! That's the joy of the D3 - freedom to shoot things you just couldn't before. If you don't want to go higher than 3200 I'll swap you a D3 for the D3s!!

true,

the first D3s i had was not as good as the secound.
in fact it was so poor i used my D700 untill i insisted they change my D3s.

Hi

Thought I'd pop in and say that I am also a member of the D3 club!

Love it, but find it heavy so looking for a good way to carry it. I like carrying it in my hand if possible so are there any of these straps worth looking at? Seem to remember one that connects to the tripod bush that I saw somewhere.

But, when I have used it - it blows me away! Used at a family wedding where we couldn't use flash and got some great shots - pretty much the only one that did.

If I could find a way of carrying it (with the 24-70 attached) that didn't mean I had to be constantly looking after it I'd be happy and probably use it more. Its normally the 24-70 or the 35mm f2 - the 35mm and D3 combo really rocks!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi

Thought I'd pop in and say that I am also a member of the D3 club!

Love it, but find it heavy so looking for a good way to carry it. I like carrying it in my hand if possible so are there any of these straps worth looking at? Seem to remember one that connects to the tripod bush that I saw somewhere.

But, when I have used it - it blows me away! Used at a family wedding where we couldn't use flash and got some great shots - pretty much the only one that did.

If I could find a way of carrying it (with the 24-70 attached) that didn't mean I had to be constantly looking after it I'd be happy and probably use it more. Its normally the 24-70 or the 35mm f2 - the 35mm and D3 combo really rocks!

Cheers

here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=336947

here:
http://www.blackrapid.com/

Both great ways to carry your D3 :D

I use auto iso for most of my type of work. I set mine to 12,800 and have no issues. I have the auto iso selection on a custom button so I can quickly switch it off if I use flash. All I do is set the iso so I'm happy with ambient vs flash. Then just jump between the two! And yes on manual as in most circumstances when you require such high iso as you'll be ignoring the metering anyway!

Iv'e now got my auto ISO set at 6400 and the minimum shutter to 200.....is that about right for the minimum shutter speed shooting hand held??

Hey steady that's taking things too far. LOL

As I sit here invoicing and quoting until midnight I now agree! :puke:

You should have saved yourself some money and got the D3! ;) The daytime supplied shots are not the best example of not using the easily available ISO levels.

You should be able to go a lot higher than that with the 3s - I go to 6400 with the D3 when I have to.

:plus1:

i know,but i dont want to swap good technique for high iso unless totaly neccesary.

Let yourself go nuts and see what you get at 12,800 it will warp your mind! I look back at 10 years ago and never thought it possible to shoot the way I do now. :thinking:

Me too actually I have a D3 around here somewhere :naughty:

true,

the first D3s i had was not as good as the secound.
in fact it was so poor i used my D700 untill i insisted they change my D3s.

I've heard of "sigma" style Friday afternoon jobs in the first run, but most where taken out of circulation very quickly! :shake:

Iv'e now got my auto ISO set at 6400 and the minimum shutter to 200.....is that about right for the minimum shutter speed shooting hand held??

I'd set it to 1/80. I tend not to go much lower then that, if I go to 1/60 actual shutter speed it will stick to 12,800 in low available light. This is best used for brighter full stage shots at the peak of song lyrics or music holds. The handy thing is if the lights pick up in an instant the ISO will drop like a stone ensuring you miss nothing. I shoot most at 1/100 for general, 1/250 for moderate stage action and push one stop in PP via RAW if needed. Contrast adjust to bring the blacks back out and avoid sharpening. (y)

its not just the high iso i have a D3s for its across the board what it delivers :)

photography is painting with light.
unless its reportage i dont take a picture in abysmal lighting situations
by that i dont mean low light i mean interesting light.

i videoed a band the other day as i new it was going to be very dark and i like their music.
i took 3 stills only because i wasnt commisoned and the light was so uninteresting there was no point.
amazing quality to the video in low light :cool:

Here are a few shots with the new toys;
dsc0598n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0573ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0533k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0408xq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
dsc0631m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]