D3 owners thread.

I must admit I am very tempted with the D4. We all joke that its just a rebadged D3 but it will be a massive improvement Imo. I just cannot afford the extra I'd have to pay over my D3S. I cannot understand the twin card format thing. The D3S is an amazing bit of kit, I may also be tempted with a D700 body to go with it...
Wait another few years for the D5......it will be worth it

No, sticking with my D3. I love it.. I too played with a D700 and decided a D3 would be better for me :) so so glad I did. :) I guess we could do some sort of DIY mod to get the illuminated buttons....... Eeek. But I'm sure most of us can find out way around the buttons in the dark!! What a silly gimmick lol

Yeah. I'm a D700 owner but recently borrowed my mates D3 for a couple of shoots.
Stunning bit of kit. I was expecting the same image quality but not the increase in AF speed.
Going to have to find a way to buy one..

glad you enjoyed the D3 Trev, got to say can't imagine anyone who wouldn't (I suppose maybe a D3s/x owner) hope you turned a pound or 2 with it

Just a few days with my D3 and I am smitten:love: compared to the D300 this is just a workhorse of a camera FAST, ACCURATE, and LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE to behold....

Long term plan will be to get a D3s as main body and current D3 as a backup - should I get into wedding and event shooting.....for now though I am well pleased with FF and 100% viefinder just like shooting film way back when:clap:

Put a 24 70 on and you get 24mm wide!! END OF....

Love it.

Anything I should know about in the settings menu.........any insight here would be welcome Hints, Tips or Tricks? (y)

Having seen the D4 and D800 released I decided that the D3s was way to go and sold one of my D700s to buy it. I've only had a brief play but I'm blown away by it, I never thought anything could be that much better than a D700 but it seriously blows it out of the water. I'll be using the D3s/D700 combo until later in the year when I'll try and source another D3s (They've apparently been discontinued now).

Stunning piece of kit.

Having seen the D4 and D800 released I decided that the D3s was way to go and sold one of my D700s to buy it. I've only had a brief play but I'm blown away by it, I never thought anything could be that much better than a D700 but it seriously blows it out of the water. I'll be using the D3s/D700 combo until later in the year when I'll try and source another D3s (They've apparently been discontinued now).

Stunning piece of kit.

:clap: Velkom to the dark side. High ISO makes you shoot there! :LOL:

That was a good deal, congrats ... I've been thinking of getting the 's' myself and the cheapest I've seen new is just under £3300 but I can't think that the D4 will be worth the extra over and above it.

Good fair price. I've pushed it to 12,800 and remained commercially sharp and usable. Take a gander at Flickr if you want to nose!

It's just getting warmed up at that iso :LOL:

iso .3ev over 12800.... around 16600 iso
Bransbury-Common016172Finala-L.jpg

Original no noise control, click for large.

The D3s will be the benchmark camera for a long time! I was using my new one last week at 10,000 ISO and it gave very acceptable results!! LOVE IT!

That was a good deal, congrats ... I've been thinking of getting the 's' myself and the cheapest I've seen new is just under £3300 but I can't think that the D4 will be worth the extra over and above it.

Everywhere is running out and three suppliers have now told me they won't be getting any more as they're discontinued. I haven't found any in stock ones for less than £4k, which is a shame as I now want another one.

:( Will be a shame if this excellent camera comes off the market.

Nice shots, but as you'll know beyond 12,800 only tends to works in clean light sources such as natural light.[/QUOTE]

And that as a wildlife photographer is exactly why I choose to use a D3s, it's the perfect tool for me and allows me to shoot when others have packed up and gone home:) I'm happy to shoot up to about 20,000 with careful exposure and the use of mild noise control post process, especially as i hand hold. The picture that staggered me was this shot taken at Richmond Park before sunrise so light was...... Well..... Dark :)

1/50th
Iso 51200
F7.1
Hand held no noise control

http://www.gautonphotography.com/Other/Hi-ISO-Nikon-Shots/19640074_xGCxdD#!i=1539784633&k=NcQx8c6&lb=1&s=A

I really don't see a rush of D3s owners rushing to dump for the D4 as thè gain is IMHO only going to be marginal. I had my D3 for 3 years and loved every minute of ownership, still rate it up there with the best of them and can now be bought very reasonably.

Last edited:
How much better is the d3s in low light performance compared to d3? Worth going for the 's' if you can afford it? Body wise they look pretty much identical

How much better is the d3s in low light performance compared to d3? Worth going for the 's' if you can afford it? Body wise they look pretty much identical

I'd say around a stop and a half better in terms of noise and holds contrast and colour better at the higher iso's...... much larger buffer, quicker af, sensor clean etc etc........... do you need it ? well that's down to the type of photography you are into..... low light, fast moving targets it excels in but then again so does the D3 :)

Hi

Just joined the D3S club, its been six hours and it feels good.

Anything I need to know to get the best out of it? What firmware version are we on?

Thanks

V 1.01 as far as I can tell.
Where did you source yours from?

V 1.01 as far as I can tell.
Where did you source yours from?

Thanks gramps. Just had a bit of a search and it confirms what you are saying. I didn't want to be missing a trick early on!

Purchased at Mifsuds today. Had several discussions with sellers over the prices falling or not with the launch of the D4 so didn't know if I should have waited. I needed a new body for next week so went for it. Don't plan on selling (famous last words) for a long while so its worth the cost to me. I got a 24-85mm 2.8 AF D Nikkor second hand while I was there and have been pleased with the early results. Hoping to get out and about tomorrow.

I saw they had two, one with 4,000 clicks and one with around 93,000.

Anyone had any issue with overheating while using film function on D3S?

Was at work today recording a brief intro to a link but the presenter kept messing up her lines. After 8-10 mins of switching live view on and off and a handful of short 30 secs recordings I got a 'recording interrupted' message where the Live view screen saturated the colours and put the message in the middle.

I'm hoping it's just the cheapo CF cards I am using and them being too slow. (133x transcend)

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

And yes.... It was the cheapo CF cards. Got a 400x today and is writing smoothly again.

Back