D3 owners thread.

Hello fellow D3 owners!! Happy to say the 'fellow' bit to be honest.

After about 2-3 years of being completely content with my D300 I began saving for a second hand D700. On the cusp of making the move to FF a friend was selling his D3S in preparation of his new arrival - the D4.

Anyway, I collected the D3S today..what a step up. I just can't come to grips with the low light capability.

406 pages of manual to read and understand now!! :puke::D

Thanks Gramps....it really is, and I don't even know what I'm doing with it yet! :)

If that's the club where the images sort of 'pop of the screen' almost in a 3D manner then I'm in!! :D

I would strongly advice for some nice primes.

You can have a go with some my primes as I got rid of all those monster zooms:p

thanks mate, appreciate that.

Currently I have the 70-200VR, 105 f/2.8 macro and 50 f/1.4 AF-S.

Already got my eye on the 16-35Vr :)

My wife is going to go skitz!! :nuts:

Need to take some good pictures of the bike as my dog is getting totally fed up with me sticking a camera in his face, poor chap!! :LOL:

Have a look at this Zeiss thread...

I must warn you that it is more than 500 pages and also warn you that you'll be hooked to zeiss lenses. I'm enjoying my 35mm and as you already have a 50mm 1.4, get another longish prime and you are set to take all those "pop" pictures of your shiny bike:cool:

(y) welcome to the club, the D3/D3S is a great camera

I'm inclined to think that comment to be sexual discrimination :p ... how come no mention of the sexy D3X :shrug: :nono:

Yep, great cameras. Enjoy :)

Just bought me a D3s a couple of weeks ago. Moved from a D7000 to a D700 for a week, didn't like it and stumped up for a second hand D3s with 20k shutter actuations. Loving it!

Got a 16-35mm f/4, a 50mm f/1.4 and a 105mm f/2.8 Micro to go with it. Loving full frame immensely. The images are just.... better. Can't quite describe it yet but it's class.

Currently saving for a 70-200mm :(

God bless all those folk buying D4's and D800's and letting go of their beloved D3s's in enough volume to drive down the second hand prices nicely.

What is going to happen to the D3x second hand prices?!? Nikon just release a D3200 with 24 bloody megapixels! Admittedly it's no full frame, pro bodied D3x but the likes of that combined with the D800 release must be going to decimate the D3x second hand pricing or am I missing something...?

D3s is great - you will have to post some pics from the 105mm

Not sure that the D3s will fall in price dramatically, D3x is a different beast though.

gramps said:
Not sure that the D3s will fall in price dramatically, D3x is a different beast though.

Rub it in! Although I believe the D3x is all I need for the shoots I mostly do (landscape & nature); but you're right, if I were to sell, I'm sure I'd make a big loss on what I paid. That said, I'm sure I'd be able to get more than the price of a D800E :thinking:

Recently joined the D3 club.....tis early days yet and lots to learn, what a piece of kit!!! (y)

David

you'll love it. (y)

some people poo poo it for being old tech now but its a solid workhorse that will just keep on clicking. Love mine (y)

to all new purchasers of D3 cameras in all it's variations I can recommend a couple of good instruction books that I think are light years ahead of the manual.

Nikon D3s/x by David Busch. This is well written and easily digested (for an instructional type book) and is a great source of reference.

Thom Hogan's Complete Guide To The Nikon D3. This is a massive 800 page PDF but also comes with a handy Nikon D3 To Go, a smaller ring bound guide of the essential details.

you'll love it. (y)

some people poo poo it for being old tech now but its a solid workhorse that will just keep on clicking. Love mine (y)

I'll second that. I bought mine just after the D4 came out, as a replacement for my D700. What a fantastic camera - so versatile and flexible(y)

I had a hankering for the D600 as it seemed to be perfect - FF in a small(ish) body. Now with all the problems (?) with the sensor I'm not so sure.
I've picked up a high mileage D3 now and am really tempted to keep this.
Has anybody used both and which do they prefer?
Has anyone gone from the D3 to the D600 and regretted it?

Hi Taz

I've got both a D3 and a D600 ( lucky me!), both fantastic cameras but two completely different animals, I use the D3 as you would imagine for sport, Motorsport, aircraft etc but in my opinion it's too much of a lump for weddings, everyday and holiday type shooting and the extra pixels are good for these purposes. Love em both, wouldn't want to part with either and frankly I haven't had any problems with either

My D3 is still going strong from the outset - first one in public hands! I haven't a clue how you get the shutter number - anyone know? The battery is still good for days at a time without recharging - Alaska last year I took both D3 bodies and didn't have the facility to recharge at all for 3 weeks - only went down to half full. I shot over 3000 frames between them and it was only around 4oC - 6oC the whole time. Brilliant cameras, tough as old boots. They are old friends now!

My D3 is still going strong from the outset - first one in public hands! I haven't a clue how you get the shutter number - anyone know? The battery is still good for days at a time without recharging - Alaska last year I took both D3 bodies and didn't have the facility to recharge at all for 3 weeks - only went down to half full. I shot over 3000 frames between them and it was only around 4oC - 6oC the whole time. Brilliant cameras, tough as old boots. They are old friends now!
upload an untouched jpeg to www.myshuttercount.com

Or, if you've got a Mac. Open an image in Preview and look in the inspector. Check out the Nikon tab.

WoOt. Just got a D3 to go with my D700. Took a bit of time. Got there in the end.

Just wanted to bump this thread. Still so very happy with my D3.
It still does it all for me.
Of course I'd have D4s if money was no object, but I'd take the same pictures !!

I just swapped my D3 for a D4s. The image quality really is night and day above 800, but below, they're very similar. The bigger buffer, 11fps and overall ergonomics though are a huge improvement.

I sold my D3s a few months ago and regretted it soon after it was gone. Been saving to get another low mileage one (circa £2.5k) then found a brand new (no shutter clicks - I checked) D4 for sale at a steal of a price of £2800 so snapped it up. Arrived yesterday, and I'm now the proud owner of a D4. Coming from the D3s, in the little time I've had with it, I certainly don't think high ISO is any better, but certainly seems no worse. However the ergonomics are vastly improved.

A happy bunny again and I will not be letting this one go.

I sold my D3s a few months ago and regretted it soon after it was gone. Been saving to get another low mileage one (circa £2.5k) then found a brand new (no shutter clicks - I checked) D4 for sale at a steal of a price of £2800 so snapped it up. Arrived yesterday, and I'm now the proud owner of a D4. Coming from the D3s, in the little time I've had with it, I certainly don't think high ISO is any better, but certainly seems no worse. However the ergonomics are vastly improved.

A happy bunny again and I will not be letting this one go.
Got my D4 a few weeks ago with 800 actuations for £2700, still miss my D3S's though

Back