D300 - D700 Third Party Grips

Edit My Images
Yes
Received my grip for the D700 from Linkdelight yesterday.

This is the Meike model that is sold by them. I must say I am rather impressed with it, not Nikon impressed but near enough.

Considering this kit cost me a 1/5 of Nikon I am impressed.

The Grip is slightly different and has a thumb recess that has been moulded in to it, which makes it very comfortable in portrait mode.

So for £66.99 what was included in the kit.

One MK-D300 Grip with normal battery tray and AA battery tray.

One BL3 Battery chamber door for those that want to purchase and use the D3 Battery.

Also one EN-EL3E Battery.

NOt bad for the money and really improves the balance of the camera and operation when in portrait mode.

Thumbs up from me...

Nigel

I've got the same one from the same seller (I've used them a few times now - also got a remote from them).

Only problem for me (and reasing else where it sounds like it's a common problem on the after market grips) is that the grip trigger button does not like being half pressed for view finder information (I can't remember if it has problems with auto-focusing).

A really grippng thread Nigel!!!

Must admit have been thinking about a grip for my D300 but have been concerned about the extra weight it would mean. Also I always carry a spare battery so is there enough justification for a grip?

I am a self confessed grip hated, but for laughs I tried the Link Delight MK-D10 as it seems identical to the Nikon version. No daft LCDs, or switches. Identical molding to the Nikon version, tbh if I didn't know it wasn't the Nikon I would have thought it was.

Still hate grips though!

-Andy

I have had stuff from China before and not had to pay any extras .. we will see when it arrives

If anyone fancies mine as I like my D700 to remain "proudly grip free!" I will be listing mine up in the Classified shortly.

Factor in £8 Royal Mail Custom's collection fee + another 15% on top.... (although these are marked at $50)

strange, I've NEVER had that...

I've got a linkdelight MB-D200 from the same series, and having played with a mate's official nikon grip, which just doesn't have good build quality (in comparison to the build of their cameras etc), the build quality must be pretty damn similar of the unofficial. If it wasn't for the different sticker on the bottom I couldn't tell the difference really.

It's not so much that the chinese ones are well built for the money, but more the case that the nikon ones are very badly built for the truly extortionate money.

I'm definitely buying another for my other body...

Whats the weight of the grip like? Obviously I know that the "proper Nikon" one weighs a ton! :LOL: especially when you factor in a flash gun, a lens, and the D300...

I however have a dodgy wrist, so shooting for weddings, if this one is a little bit lighter, I may consider purchasing one.

Whats the weight of the grip like? Obviously I know that the "proper Nikon" one weighs a ton! :LOL: especially when you factor in a flash gun, a lens, and the D300...

I however have a dodgy wrist, so shooting for weddings, if this one is a little bit lighter, I may consider purchasing one.

Weight wise especially with 8 AA's in it, it gets heavy. I seems identical to the Nikon verson, so no weight savings to be had.

Too heavy for me, I hate grips :LOL:

Weight wise especially with 8 AA's in it, it gets heavy. I seems identical to the Nikon verson, so no weight savings to be had.

Too heavy for me, I hate grips :LOL:

Since when?

I was always under the impression you liked them!

Serious question: Do you hate add-on grips only? Or is it all grips (i.e. D3/1D etc)?

Also, I have a Phottix bg for my 40d, works spot on and feels like the real deal. (y)

Since when?

I was always under the impression you liked them!

Serious question: Do you hate add-on grips only? Or is it all grips (i.e. D3/1D etc)?

Also, I have a Phottix bg for my 40d, works spot on and feels like the real deal. (y)

I think you must be mistaking me for some sort of rabid grip lover - I'm a rabid grip hater :LOL:

Its add-on's I hate, built into something like Fuji S3 Pro, or the D2X they are OK..

I think you must be mistaking me for some sort of rabid grip lover - I'm a rabid grip hater :LOL:

Its add-on's I hate, built into something like Fuji S3 Pro, or the D2X they are OK..

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on tinternets :p

Ahhh okay :)

Don't understand your hatred of them though :( Is it because you feel they're gimmicky? Ruin an otherwise perfectly sized and weighted body?

Ruin an otherwise perfectly sized and weighted body?

That sums is up very well. If Lord Nikon (bless the Creator!) has intended us to have grips, they'd be built in, and much more pleasurable to use (see D2X)

A D700 with a grip + 8 AA batteries moves from a delight to use to a millstone (literally) around the neck. Its bigger than the D3 which is just a brick in itself.

Did I say I hate grips :LOL:

The main criticism of the third party grips seems to be a hair trigger on the grip based shutter release...

Any comment on that?

The main criticism of the third party grips seems to be a hair trigger on the grip based shutter release...

Any comment on that?

I have one of these on my D700, great for the money and with 24-70 and 70-200 attached certainly makes the camera feel more balanced to me. No issue's with hair trigger at all...

I have one of these on my D700, great for the money and with 24-70 and 70-200 attached certainly makes the camera feel more balanced to me. No issue's with hair trigger at all...

Ditto.

I've heard complaints about this on the original MD-D10 too.

I'll probably go for the third party one then when I get my D700... or maybe not if I buy a D3 instead :D

Yup, as I mentioned before, mine suffers from that.

To be honest my official Nikon MB-D10 is pretty trigger happy. Wouldn't say hair trigger, but it's not far off.

Have to admit that my grip will being staying at home on my NYC visit tomorrow as the whole shebang just weighs too much for a full day lugging around a city.

Back