D300 Live View

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
just found this feature whilst browsing the Menu's

looks alittle geeky but may come in handy for others

can be set for hand held or tripod use, i need to fully understand it but its there and seems to work even though it looks complcated

anyone else use it?

Its great for macro shots.

if you adjust the exposure whilst in live view does it show the change on the screen ?

if you adjust the exposure whilst in live view does it show the change on the screen ?

no

and lol at Andy

i cant see me using it when out with motorsports but it may come in handy for other shots. first time i have heard it mentioned on here

No. Adjusting exposure will adjust either your shutter speed, aperture or iso, whilst live view will try and keep the screen at an average brightness, regardless of whether you are pointing at a light or a black wall, and regardless of your settings.

No. Adjusting exposure will adjust either your shutter speed, aperture or iso, whilst live view will try and keep the screen at an average brightness, regardless of whether you are pointing at a light or a black wall, and regardless of your settings.

Not sure about the Nikon but the Canon 40d has 2 settings... one of which can show you the exposure change on the screen like was stated above. It goes lighter or darker.

But doesn't use of liveview drain the battery quicker?

Not sure about the Nikon but the Canon 40d has 2 settings... one of which can show you the exposure change on the screen like was stated above. It goes lighter or darker.

you can manually change lighter or darker but not sure about others.

no idea on that one

Probably Clive.. but its not something I use other than macros. Its brilliant for close manual focusing at 5X or 10X the view to make sure its spot on.

Probably Clive.. but its not something I use other than macros. Its brilliant for close manual focusing at 5X or 10X the view to make sure its spot on.

This is very interesting, may be it is not all too gimicky as I had thought :thinking:

I think it deserves a try.

It's not gimicky............For macro it's great and the other day I was behind a six foot wall and wanted a shot on't other side,just switched to live view and held camera above head while I composed from the screen.

It got me the shot I would have missed otherwise.........;)

And yes,it will take more juice,but you don't use it on most shots ,unless shooting macro....

my old point and shoot sony dscp 71 did well a representation i think was very handy

It comes in handy for over-the-head paparazzi type shots, but apart from that I haven't used it in the year I've had the camera. Might try it for some macro shots though....

Live view on the Sony a300 is something I'll miss. Only a little!

Great for macro, mainly on a close focusing lens like a 50mm.
If you had say a 105mm macro, I think live view may even then be redundant......

Oh and the low level shots.
Must admit, it was handy for that too!

LV is great on the D300 but be warned there are safety cut-offs because of the heat it causes. After using it for a minute or so constantly the D300 may shut it off. If this happens then don't push it, just let it cool off a bit.

One use is if you can be bothered to fine tune your lenses.

Take a few shots with normal AF, then another set with contrast detect AF.

If contrast detect AF shots are sharper / better focused normal AF, it might be worth messing with fine tune (I think life's too short to bother with this personally...)

Back