D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

Hi guys..just bought a D300 to go alongside my D500,so on occasions I have both equipped with different lens.as my D500 uses SD and QXD cards,I had to purchase a CF card for the D300.i opted for one of my memory’s own branded cards,which arrived today.on inserting it,and firing off a few shots in continuous high,and the frame rate was about 2-3 FPS.the card has a write speed of 45mb/s and a read speed of 45mb/s..is this card fast enough to attain the 7fps the D300 is capable of...
TIA
Mark

Hi guys..just bought a D300 to go alongside my D500,so on occasions I have both equipped with different lens.as my D500 uses SD and QXD cards,I had to purchase a CF card for the D300.i opted for one of my memory’s own branded cards,which arrived today.on inserting it,and firing off a few shots in continuous high,and the frame rate was about 2-3 FPS.the card has a write speed of 45mb/s and a read speed of 45mb/s..is this card fast enough to attain the 7fps the D300 is capable of...
TIA
Mark
That card should be fast enough, in fact any card should be fast enough for 7fps, the card speed should only affect the depth of the buffer before it drops from 7fps.

Do you have the camera set to continuous CL? There are settings which you can say how many fps the CL setting is, but I am not sure whether you can limit the fps in CH too.

Do you have it set to 14bit RAW, as this can sometimes affect fps.

There is an AF setting where the camera can be set to prioritize shooting speed or focus, or vice versa, being set to focus can slow done the camera too.

If it is none of them, I can't think of anything else of the top of my head. :thinking:

That card should be fast enough, in fact any card should be fast enough for 7fps, the card speed should only affect the depth of the buffer before it drops from 7fps.

Do you have the camera set to continuous CL? There are settings which you can say how many fps the CL setting is, but I am not sure whether you can limit the fps in CH too.

Do you have it set to 14bit RAW, as this can sometimes affect fps.

There is an AF setting where the camera can be set to prioritize shooting speed or focus, or vice versa, being set to focus can slow done the camera too.

If it is none of them, I can't think of anything else of the top of my head. :thinking:

Thanks very much.i can’t see where CH can be altered,and have set CL to 7fps.i do have the camera set to RAW,but never had any issues with continuous shooting because of that..can look into the AF thing...one more thing...if I remove the card from camera,the camera shoots at 7fps no problem...

Sounds like it is the RAW setting then, check whether it is set to 14bit uncompressed. I always had my D300/S set to 12bit lossless compressed, same with the D500, unless I remember to set to 14bit in high dynamic range situations, which is hardly ever. :rolleyes: ;)

Btw, I never bothered with the CL setting, I always wanted single shot, or max fps. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like it is the RAW setting then, check whether is set to 14bit uncompressed. I always had my D300/S set to 12bit lossless compressed, same with the D500, unless I remember to set to 14bit in high dynamic range situations, which is hardly ever. :rolleyes: ;)

Btw, I never bothered with the CL setting, I always wanted single shot, or max fps. ;)

I only set CL to 7fps,as I couldn’t see how to,if possible,change CH.how do I change from 14 bit uncompressed to 12 bit lossless compressed?

In the menu, go to the Shooting Menu (green camera icon).

Go to Image Quality, and press right on the pad.

On the RAW setting, press right on the pad.

There is an option for Type, press right on the pad. There are options for Lossless Compressed, Compressed or Uncompressed, choose Lossless Compressed.

And there is also the option to choose between 12bit and 14bit, press right on the pad and choose 12bit.

Hope that makes sense. :)

In the menu, go to the Shooting Menu (green camera icon).

Go to Image Quality, and press right on the pad.

On the RAW setting, press right on the pad.

There is an option for Type, press right on the pad. There are options for Lossless Compressed, Compressed or Uncompressed, choose Lossless Compressed.

And there is also the option to choose between 12bit and 14bit, press right on the pad and choose 12bit.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Unfortunately,that doesn’t work,when I select raw and press right on the multi selected/pad,it just goes back to the previous selection of image quality...hmmmm!

my D300 does the same just selects RAW, is the feature discussed on the D300s only?

Unfortunately,that doesn’t work,when I select raw and press right on the multi selected/pad,it just goes back to the previous selection of image quality...hmmmm!
Have a look at this vid from a bout 2:40, and see if yours is the same.
I got my D300 stolen not long after I had it and replaced it with a D300S, so can't check that everything is exactly the same as I described. I have Thom Hogan's guide to the D300 which show's the steps very clearly, but that is copyrighted, so I couldn't show excerpts of that. Hopefully your D300 works as in the video.

Excellent,changed the raw settings as you suggested,and 7fps is there...many,many thanks,I would be stuffed without your help [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Have a look at this vid from a bout 2:40, and see if yours is the same.
I got my D300 stolen not long after I had it and replaced it with a D300S, so can't check that everything is exactly the same as I described. I have Thom Hogan's guide to the D300 which show's the steps very clearly, but that is copyrighted, so I couldn't show excerpts of that. Hopefully your D300 works as in the video.

Last edited:
Back