D300 walkabout lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,
It's been a while since I last posted.
I still shoot with a trust d300 which I don't plan to replace. Unfortunately, my also trusty 18-70 bit the dust recently so I need a replacement. I haven't really kept up with all the latest tech/kit over the past few years, so thought I'd ask you guys what I should be considering.

I've been thinking of the 18-140 as the front runner at the moment, but would probably rather have more lower end than top end and as fast as possible for the money. I also have a siggy 70-200/2.8 for the longer stuff.

I shoot a wide variety of stuff but mostly people, family, a bit of sports, etc. My budget is around 250-400gbp. Happy with used kit, in fact I'd probably prefer a used lens.

Many thanks.

Baz

check out the classifieds there is more than one suitable offerings in there :)
I still shoot with a D300 DX camera to name but one but I have the 18-200mm VR virtually stuck on the front.
I spotted a 16-80mm f2.8 VR & dx17-55mm f2.8 in Nikon classifieds.

Last edited:
the nikon 18-200mm is a good lens for the d300 or for more reach the 18-300mm
the siggy"s can have quality issues

Thanks all
Anyone had experience of both the 16-85 and the 18-140? Would be good to hear about the IQ differences.

Cheers

Sigma 17-70 I have is very good but I did have some stinker sigma and tamron in the past.

I'd stick with Nikon - I've got a prehistoric belief that the quality control is better.

'Family .. people' - think about a bigger aperture than a common zoom. An f/1.4 prime? A 50mm on your DX?

For me the Nikon 16-85mm is the best option for quality, size, weight, zoom range and cost. I've had two of them (one got stolen) on a D300/D300S and D500 and have been very happy. It has only recently been replaced by the 16-80mm.

I'd stick with Nikon - I've got a prehistoric belief that the quality control is better.

'Family .. people' - think about a bigger aperture than a common zoom. An f/1.4 prime? A 50mm on your DX?

Yeah, I’ve been down that route in the past but I find it too restrictive. I had the siggy 50/1.4. Good lens for static stuff though. Thanks.

I do prefer primes, but you could look at Tamron 17-50 or 28-75, both 2.8 and around £200.

Back in the day I had my D300 the 16-85mm was the lens that was attached to my camera 90% of the time.

Back