D3100/flash help?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Right guys I know my wife has brought me a Yongnuo YN-565EX Flash for me Xmas (as it's all I've asked for). It's an upgrade for the sb400 I've got but I'm also thinking bout getting a trigger to use the 565 off camera. But I'm not sure if I need one, will the d3100 trigger this flash/anyone got this set up??

Pretty sure yout going to need triggers,
I have a d3100 and use a yn560

Best trigger is the yn622N you can use two or more and you dont need the 622TX unless you desire it . The TX does not let you put a flash on top of the camera at thesame time as the trigger. I use SB400 on top of the 622N and a 565 on the remote trigger ..works perfect all automaic in ittl mode

dubn 83 ...yes thats what I do. The SB 400 lights up the bride and the yn lights up the altar etc 50 ft behind her....

SB 400 does not do high speed sync It seems to limit the shutter to 1/320 (in FP320 mode) .Under the same conditions the Meike went to 1/1250 so I use the meike 300 and the wife the SB400 because she can remember to turn it off.

Get two triggers - one for your YN and one for SB. In that case you will be able to shoot with two remote flashes and this will give you a lot more options and versatility to your pictures.
There are loads of options for triggers from YN. I suggest you get one that will support your new flash's TTL. In this case you will be able to use your new YN off camera as a key for the subject and your old SB as a fill/backlight/spot.
If you are getting new piece of equipment, make sure you can take everything that it offers. IMHO

because mesl7 said two remote flashs so that one for each and one on the camera . Personally I would start with two 622n and then see how you go ..they are not expensive at £25 each

TX - tranmistter
You will defo need a trigger - I have a D3100 and there is no way to trigger OCF
If you want to use TTL (ie the camera tells the flash how much to flash) then you will need smart triggers like the yn622N

Alternativly you can use manual and simpler flash triggers

And the D3100 cant do HSS even if the flash could ;)

Back