Beginner D3300 - Lens comparisons (before purchasing!)

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to purchase an everyday/all rounder lens until I get more into photography. I've managed to borrow a Nikon 18-200 VR lens, and it seems to fit the bill. But google being a dangerous thing, I've found that other options are the Sigma 18-250 and the Tamron 18-270. I'm sure all have pros/cons - and being all rounders I'm not expecting perfection - and not with my limited skills. Just want to be happy in my purchase, until such times where I move into better lenes.

So the question I have is, do I stick with what I've been trialling, and buy one, or do any of the other lenses fit the bill, or have benefits over the Nikon?

Thanks

(and apologies - probably sick of all the "what lens questions")

I'm not a fan of super zooms (and all you have mentioned are super zooms) The super bit refers to the zoom range and not it's IQ btw. However the Nikon 18-300 seems to get ok reviews so that may be worth considering, only concerns may be the weight/size and cost.

ETA: My light weight kit when I had a DX body was the 18-55 and 55-200 MkII (and the 35mm f1.8DX lens) - light, cheap and acceptable IQ imo, so may be worth considering those two lenses as well. Most new D3300 are sold as kits with at least the 18-55 lens.

Last edited:
Hi Paul - completely agree, I have moved over from Canon where I had the 1000D, 18-55, and 55-250mm lenses. I should have probably mentioned on the first post, off to Florida in the summer, one of the reasons I'd prefer the one lens rather than swapping and changing around..

Had my nikon 18-200mm VR since they were first on the market paid over £800 at the time as they were harder to get hold of than Hens teeth as top pro Nikon camers were DX and demand far outstripped supply!
I would never sell it TBH as a general do almost everything it's a Great lens smaller and lighter than the already Nikon 18-300mm VR. I don't think you will be disappointed TBH.

I have a Sigma 18-250 HSM for the Sony system. It's useful in a pinch, but the 18-55 kit lens has better image quality, and after reviewing pics half way through a holiday I ended up reverting to the kit lens, only using the superzoom where I would have used a 55-200. Having said that, if you're only using the images for web work or don't print above 8X12 then it won't matter either way.

Back