D3500 vs D5600

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at buying a DSLR for the first time and would prefer to avoid used because I'm not confident I'd be able to check the condition properly and with the current lockdown procedures it could be tricky.

I did some research and the D3500 looked like good value, and I could currently get one with a AF-P DX 18-55 VR lens for £419 through Nikon directly. This camera seems to be sold out on a lot of places, and I found it on some grey market places for great deals but I am wary of buying through those places.

I have also seen that I could get a D5600 with the same lens for £549 on Amazon.

I am wondering if this £130 difference is worth it? The Wi-Fi connectivity sounds useful, I'm not too fussed over the touchscreen I don't think, and the extra auto-focus points sounds useful from my research but I don't know how practically beneficial that would be. However, part of me thinks I could save that £130 and buy a new lens or, if I really get into photography, a better camera later on.

In summary, D3500 + lens for £419 or D5600 + lens for £549?

Unlike the D7xxx series, both these cameras have only the one control dial. The D5600's fully articulated touch screen provides the functionality of a second control dial and obviates the necessity of continually diving through the menus. I use a D5500 which also has a touch screen and really missed it when I borrowed a D5300.
The D5600 also has some more features over the D3500, including exposure bracketing, I believe both cameras use the same sensor, so either would give great results

The cameras seem to be the same size, so both quite compact. The Sensors are pretty much the same. The frames per second are the same at 5fps. The differences are more focus points, 39 v 11, fully articulated touch screen v fixed non touch screen. The 5600 screen is slightly larger at 3.2" v 3", and slightly higher resolution. The D5600 has WiFi, and the D3500 doesn't.

For me out of all that I would value the extra focus points, as for more sporty/wildlife subjects more focus points enable better tracking of subjects, but even if sport or wildlife is not an interest, having more focus points allows you to have to focus and recompose less often. The articulated screen is good for taking pics when the camera may be in awkward positions, the you don't want to be. ;) A touch screen lets you take more control of the camera, which can sometimes be a problem with less controls compared to cameras higher in the Nikon range. The touch screen will also make it easier and quicker to focus when the camera is in Liveview, touching the screen v moving a focus point with the multi direction pad. The WiFi is a bit meh for me, as Nikon have been quite poor with their use of WiFi imho.

I would buy the D5600 if it were a choice between those two, but then I have always wanted more control and more features. Only potential buyers can say what is important to them.

Back