D40 lens.

Edit My Images
No
Had me D40 for a while now.
recently got really interested in Sport photography.
And well as no surprise a bigger lenses is required.
I have been searching for a while and well i have the basic idea.
It has to be either AF-I Or AF-S as far as im aware due to the auto focus being in the lenses.
But the numbers confuse me.
All of them at the end, does it mean really much?
Would just like to know as i don't want to get the wrong lenses.
Been looking at this

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

But would any AF-S/AF-I fit a D40?

Cheers.
:]

Look for AF-S, AF-I (pretty rare), Sigma's HSM or a Tamron lens with a built in motor (these are noted with a red logo on the box)

Unless you see any of the above, assume they will not autofocus. This rules out all Tokina lenses for example.

Right will do that also.
But aslong as its AF-I/AF-S It'll fit my D-40 right and worth correctly.
All the other numbers etc dont matter much?

It will definitely fit your D40.

The numbers are the most important part.

I assume you understand that 70-300mm is the focal length or zoom.

f4.5-5.6 is the maximum aperture, 4.5 is at 70mm focal length and 5.6 is the maximum at 300mm. With aperture, the lower the number the larger the aperture, so it's has more at 70mm than at 300mm. These numbers will dictate how your camera and lens will perform in various lighting conditions and how much 'depth of field' you can obtain i.e. how blurred the background will be versus the subject in the photograph.

As a general rule of thumb, the larger the maximum aperture, the more expensive the lens. It's not always the case, but is a lot of the time.

I would suggest you find a good local camera shop, ideally and independent rather than Jessops and talk to them face to face about what you want to do, what you want to spend etc and ask them to explain everything about each lens.

The 70-300 VR is a cracking lens, but it does make a D40 a bit nose heavy :LOL:

Have you considered the 55-200 VR?, it's almost a third of the price (and was designed especially for use with the D40) but it's it's not a third of the quality and can produce excellent images when coupled to a D40.

Back