D4x this year

If that is true... I just may be tempted.... maybe.

Almost as much as the current price for a D3X!

If there is a D4x my guess is it'll be over 50MP.

Hadn't thought of the D4x leap-frogging the D800. The problem is getting/keeping a high speed shutter while shifting high megapixel counts. I suppose a colossal buffer could be the solution but reeeeally fast flash memory is verrrry expensive.

Hadn't thought of the D4x leap-frogging the D800. The problem is getting/keeping a high speed shutter while shifting high megapixel counts. I suppose a colossal buffer could be the solution but reeeeally fast flash memory is verrrry expensive.

It doesn't need to be fast, it's a studio / landscape camera. 4fps is way faster than most flashes can recycle.

NR is giving the new D4 the "x" in lieu of knowing what it will actually be. Could be an "x", "h" or an "s" given their history. We don't know yet whether they've cleared another noise, pixel or framerate/bandwidth hurdle.

As the flagship Nikon, I'd imagine that whatever it is they have planned will be intended to break some new ground. The D4 vs 1DX, and D4 vs D3s, are all too close, IMO, for Nikon's comfort. Surely they'll be looking to knock one out of the park again.

A D800/E in a pro body? I'm having difficulty imagining the need for such ruggedness in the relatively low-risk environment of a studio. The D800/E already delivers everything for the studio at significantly less than the D4 price point.

It's fun to speculate :)

That would be pointless. The D800 is limited by lenses now. You'd gain nothing.

If it's a noise hurdle, that would be great. The power of a D800E with supreme noise performance on top while maintaining the high frame rate . . . Who'd need more mp? It would be a beast of an all rounder. The camera to suit all.

Why?

Steve.

Because many lenses already can't even make a full use of D800's 36MP even at their optimum settings

Why do high MP starts to make sense? Think about 4k screens, retina resolutions and a bit of cropping. The bayer filter may have to give way to something more creative during the transition, but that is only the means to the end

This is starting to get a bit silly. At the risk of sounding like Bill Gates with his infamous "640kb is enough memory for anyone" quote, 20mp is already better resolution than the finest-grained 35mm film available. When the resolution of the sensor is such that lenses are struggling to do it justice, perhaps it's time to concentrate on improving high ISO performance and video rather than cramming more pixels in.

Apart from this, the enormous file sizes created by the D800 are a real problem. If you're shooting thousands of frames in full-res raw mode at 50+ mb a pop, how are you going to store them? Even a 2tb hard disk will fill up pretty fast.

A.

What do MF photographers do? If they can afford to shoot MF, they can afford plenty of back up and the latest hardware to run large files with ease.

I think the main thing they do is not shoot 1000's of files, rather keep the numbers down and only keep the best.

I would say 50+mp would be tasty in a D4 shell

A modified version of the D800 sensor sounds quite plausable.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a rumour floating around that it may have a 52mp sensor?? Seems a tad extreme to me.

PaulButler said:
Wasn't there a rumour floating around that it may have a 52mp sensor?? Seems a tad extreme to me.

The way technology has evolved over the last 5 years, sensor advancements etc I would say 60-70+mp bodies aren't far off

Because many lenses already can't even make a full use of D800's 36MP even at their optimum settings

If you use a 50MP or even a 36MP camera hand held you have already introduced a loss of sharpness greater than any inaccuracy inherent in the lens.

However, how many people really need any more than about 12MP for what they do?

Steve.

Tsk! Don't you all know, the future has been foretold!?...
[YOUTUBE]qHepKd38pr0[/YOUTUBE]
:D

I thought the "megapixel race" was a thing of the past.
I would rather see them concentrate on less noise, better dynamic range etc.
Is there really any need for 50, 60, 70 Mpix, unless you are printing the size of a house? I don't think so. And for those printing that big, then MF or Larger would be what they use wouldn't it?

Isn't that foveon sensor type more a combined 46mp, rather than just one sensor it's like 3 combined or something?

Also, I'd imagine a full frame sensor is harder push on the fps front.

Wouln't concern me, I never use fast fps.

Back