D500 settings for birding

Thanks @Mike.P Think f5.6 is my minimum requirement. Cracking photo though.

@Gil Bev Yeah, I think there seems to be an awful lot of sample variation. Just read through this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikkor-200-500.599619/ All who have bought the lens seem pleased, but there is an obvious variation in quality when looking at fur and feather detail. If I could get a copy like @tom24 seems to be making very good use of, then I'd be happy.

As it is I'm not sure what my next step should be. Its doing my head in !!!
I think one point you could be missing is user error it's not always the lens some users are not as good as others and ability plays a large part in getting the shot when I first got a super telephoto lens I thought it was crap.....then I learned how to use it properly hth mike

I think one point you could be missing is user error it's not always the lens some users are not as good as others and ability plays a large part in getting the shot when I first got a super telephoto lens I thought it was crap.....then I learned how to use it properly hth mike

I think one point you could have missed is that Ian uses a 560mm prime on Pentax which is a good deal bulkier than the 200-500mm ;)

The biggest problem was using potential user error as an excuse for the poor quality of the lens Mike. Should have sent it back after the first weekend.

2 shots. 1 when i first got my lens 2 after a few months of practice.;) these 2 pics were taken about 3 months apart note the second one is actually at a slower shutter speed!!! and i openly admit it was user error (lack of knowledge)

shot 1

Weaver bird by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

shot 2

Blue Tit by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

2 shots. 1 when i first got my lens 2 after a few months of practice.;) these 2 pics were taken about 3 months apart note the second one is actually at a slower shutter speed!!! and i openly admit it was user error (lack of knowledge)

My improvement was much more rapid Mike. I sent the lens back and got a new copy which was delivered today. See my blue tit on the bottom of the previous page. Just to try the lens out while half hanging out of the bedroom window this afternoon ;)

Love the combo
DSC_8623 by Thomas Reid, on Flickr

How did you get so much light, and how did you manage to shoot at 1/100 without it getting really blurred. Do you use a remote to trigger the shutter? I've been experimenting with a flash, but I get blur from movement when shooting at 1/250th

Last edited:
How did you get so much light, and how did you manage to shoot at 1/100 without it getting really blurred. Do you use a remote to trigger the shutter? I've been experimenting with a flash, but I get blur from movement when shooting at 1/250th
Just natural light Gil, i use a tripod 90% of the time though.

Back