D500

After a long absence from the forum, I'm back now. Having sold my few bits of Canon gear I have taken the plunge and bought a used D500. In due course and with a limited budget I need to buy suitable lenses. What will the D500 owners recommend. Wildlife I'm thinking either Nikon 200 - 500 or a Sigma 160 - 600 sport. Again either a Nikon 70 - 200 vrii (used) or Sigma 70 - 200 sport or Tamron g2. What macro lens and what all round lens. The lenses will not be bought all at once, any advice will be great fully received. Thanks
For me the D500 + 200-500 were great, I had a 160-600 Sport but it was lacking the same IQ.

After a long absence from the forum, I'm back now. Having sold my few bits of Canon gear I have taken the plunge and bought a used D500. In due course and with a limited budget I need to buy suitable lenses. What will the D500 owners recommend. Wildlife I'm thinking either Nikon 200 - 500 or a Sigma 160 - 600 sport. Again either a Nikon 70 - 200 vrii (used) or Sigma 70 - 200 sport or Tamron g2. What macro lens and what all round lens. The lenses will not be bought all at once, any advice will be great fully received. Thanks
I know a couple of folk that use/used the D500 and 200-500 and achieved great results....

Hi,

I have a D500 as my primary body. I have a Sigma 150-600 C (IMHO The Sport is too heavy and expensive for 1/2 stop) and found it to be a very capable lens for the money.
Some Friends have the Nikon 200-500 and it performs slightly better, but it is more expensive.
I now have a Nikon 500 PF and it out performs both as you would expect, however, it is not cheap.
I have the Sigma 70-200 2.8 Sport and IMHO it out performs the more expensive Nikon version (check independent reviews), I also use it with the Sigma Matched 1.4 TC.
I have the Sigma 105 macro and again IMHO it is a cracking good lens for the money - again check independent reviews. Upgraded from Nikon 85mm which was to short for my needs
For general walkaround I have a Nikon nifty fifty 'pancake' lens (MF) or my Nikon 24-120 f4

All my lenses (apart form the PF due to availability) are 2nd hand from MPB, LCE and this forum (the 50mm was a speculative buy from ebay - I am not disappointed)

I hope this helps.... enjoy the journey !

PS I use the Sigma USB Dock to setup my lenses for my camera !

Thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it, I'm starting to form an idea. I've seen some recommendations for the original kit lens 16-80 any views on that? I don't mind going the used route.

I have the Nikon AF-S 16-80mm f2.8-4E VR ED DX as general purpose walk around lens, and I've been very happy with it. :) For me it is the best compromise for size, weight, range and cost. The 16mm, equivalent to 24mm full frame, is very useful.

I've been very happy with the Nikon AF-P 70-300mm f4.5-5.6E ED VR too wide open, which could be a more affordable route for short to medium range in the short term.

Last edited:

Another option is the 80-400/4-5.6G Nikkor. Used on my D810/D850 over the past 3 weeks. Bit more expensive than the 200-500. I have both lenses and find them equally capable. The reach on the D500 is great. I find D500 & 200-500 to be a great combination.

Nikkor 70-200 Mk2 is an excellent lens. I think I picked up an excellent copy (from Grays). I don't use it enough.

As for the Sigmas. One word - marmite. I have no anti-Sigma snobbery but last F-mount Sigma lens I had stopped working when I updated my D810 software. My OH bought the contemporary 150-600 for her 7D2 Canon 3 years ago for a Costa Rica birding trip. Felt right in the shop, ticked all the boxes after shooting all the pigeons and gulls in Colwyn Bay (nothing else to photograph there...), got to our hotel in San Jose and OH just couldn't click with it.... even I struggled. Could not be explained. Lens got swapped for and XT-3.... Once upon a time I did have a 150-500 lens in Pentax fit, sold to fund the 80-400 and eventual 150-450 DFA acquisition, it was a great lens but not the easiest to handle, perfect for social distancing. Advice is to borrow one before buying.

Thanks to all the advice I have decided that I will definitely buy a Nikon 70 - 200 /2.8 ii and in about a months time the Nikon 200 - 500. I am still a bit undecided about a Nikon 24 - 120 f4 and /or a Nikon 16 - 80.
Thanks to all that have replied.

Thanks to all the advice I have decided that I will definitely buy a Nikon 70 - 200 /2.8 ii and in about a months time the Nikon 200 - 500. I am still a bit undecided about a Nikon 24 - 120 f4 and /or a Nikon 16 - 80.
I have that 70- 200 nikon lens and it is quite heavy 1610g (3.55lb)
Nikon D810 jpeg photo @200mm lens on AM=fULL= VR on= ACTIVE

as taken HAND HELD

_DSC5849.JPG

cropped only otherwise unedited

_DSC5849a.jpg

RAW

_DSC5849r.jpg

Yes this is a good lens to get in my opinion.
can I point you towards the Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2 LENS ? It has better VR than the nikon version and has an 82mm front lens

Last edited:

I use my 24-120/4 on the D810 and D850, superb lens. Don't think it's been attached to my D500.

Thanks again to each and everyone for your responses and advice. My boss gave me a lens 18 200 f 3.5 - 4 vrii to try, he's thinking of selling it , I am undecided about it. I have managed to buy the following lenses, all used and in good to excellent condition from Wex: 16-80mm vr, 50mm f1.8 and a 70 -200mm f.2.8 vrii, this lens will arrive today. Once Wex have credited my account I will look at getting a used 200-500mm. Really looking forward to the weekend to have a proper go.

I believe the 200-500mm is quite a heavy lens, and it takes a lot of rotation to go through the range, an alternative may be the 300mm F/4E PF ED VR lens with a 1.4 convertor, giving you a reach of around 420mm, Its a lot lighter, of course this depends on whether you prefer to shoot wildlife whilst walking, or you primarily use a tripod, or whether you're fit and agile, or an old git like me.

I believe the 200-500mm is quite a heavy lens, and it takes a lot of rotation to go through the range, an alternative may be the 300mm F/4E PF ED VR lens with a 1.4 convertor, giving you a reach of around 420mm, Its a lot lighter, of course this depends on whether you prefer to shoot wildlife whilst walking, or you primarily use a tripod, or whether you're fit and agile, or an old git like me.
Thanks for your reply, I have bought the 200-500mm and yes its fairly heavy. I guess I can be classed as an old git, but luckily I am fit and agile, I think more than most gits my age. I hope to make the time in the next 2 weeks to use both the 70-200mm, and the 200-500mm.

Back