D500

People keep harping on about XQD cards being hideously expensive, but in my experience they are anywhere between just a bit more or a bit less than the equivalent SDXC units price when compared with branded 300mb/sec SD cards.

From Camera price buster today

Sony TOUGH 128GB 299MB/s SDHC Card Cheapest £239.00

Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MBs SDXC Card Cheapest £173.00

Sony 120GB G Series XQD Memory Card Cheapest £209.00

Also from E-Infinity -

SONY 120GB XQD G Series Memory Card £149.90
I think it's more of a case that you don't have a choice, it's either fast expensive or nothing (y)

I’d rather get the 64gb XQD as I’m trying to ensure my son is able to achieve the best he can...

Thanks Simon.

He was sat in the boot of my car, with the hatch open

Yep, I’m really pleased with his work - he said this shoot is his best so far. Hopefully it will bring him more work

I've been doing a bit of video and experimenting with the lenses I own.
During isolation i have got closer to our foxes with the aid of some netting and bread.
I've found the 200-500 to big, my 70-200 vr1 too noisey. So I've taken a gamble on a 2nd hand nikon 70-300 af-p to pass the time on lockdown. The reviews look ok. So we will see

Well I must say the af-p 70-300mm no vr dx.
What a bargain lens. Sharp, fast accurate focus most definitely an over looked lens. For photos and video. I think this will be on my d500 for a little while.

What a bargain lens. Sharp, fast accurate focus most definitely an over looked lens. For photos and video. I think this will be on my d500 for a little while.

I’ve got the f/4.5-5.6 VRII version for FX and it’s a great lens. The af-p system is amazing. Pretty much instant and silent! And the VR II is also great with 4 stops of VR.

I’ve got the cheapo dx plastic version. For the money, it’s an absolute steal

I had the previous FX version of the Nikon 70-300mm and the new version was a big improvement for me, particularly wide open. :)
I’ve got the f/4.5-5.6 VRII version for FX and it’s a great lens. The af-p system is amazing. Pretty much instant and silent! And the VR II is also great with 4 stops of VR.
As above, I like the Nikon 70-300mm, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it is focus by wire, which means that when the camera goes to sleep, or is turned off, you lose focus. :rolleyes: If it means the camera focuses the lens quicker then that is a side effect I can put up with, but it is something to keep in mind with lenses that focus by wire, rather than a direct connection between the focus ring and the lens elements.

@redhed17 yeah a totally over looked lens id imagine by many. As its so light, its insane the shutter speeds it can go down to, to get sharp images still.

Very impressed with it on video too.

Keeping the thread alive. One of my first images from my new D500

Just purchased the D850 and now looking to possibly upgrade my D750 to a D500

I see the price is now just over £1400 for a UK Warranty - with a D750 trade plus grip that are boxed and in good nick I’m hoping for a decent trade in value, maybe up to £400, getting me the D500 for a grand

So, is it worth it?

Thank you

What are you going to shoot with it?

I was thinking about getting the Nikon 200-500 for shooting wildlife.

My prime interest has always been landscape. I'm useless at taking photographs of people, catching the right moments; however, I am going to get the Godox Xpro and 2 X1R so I can use my SB-700 and SB-910 for some family and friend portraits once we can all meet again.

I also want to start taking wildlife shots. I have tried previously but was discouraged with the results; using initially D7100 and then D750 with the 70-200 and TC-20E III - combination of poor technique, soft image and lower quality and slower camera focus mechanism. I know the D850 is a huge step forward in quality of picture and focus but I'm wondering whether the cropped sensor of the D500 meaning I don't have to use the TC-20E III and the fact that the focus covers the whole screen makes the D500 a great upgrade choice.

Essentially I end up with one great camera for wildlife and fast moving objects and another for landscape and people.

I have very definitely nailed my colours to the mast and stuck to full frame. I also use film so having one set of lenses to fit both types is the icing for me. I had DX cameras up to the D90 then bought an D700. The quality difference was staggering. I still have the D700 (A tank with a lens on the front) and it was joined with a D600 (twice the pixels, later processor and less weight.) My F4 sits very nicely alongside both. (At least my F4 doesn't need the sensor cleaning, every frame comes with a new sensor!)

Why do I need to spend a fortune on a later cameras than the ones I have? A newer camera does not make me a better photographer does it?.

In crop mode? scrub that, crop mode makes no difference.

Edit: looks like 10fps vs 7 fps unless you use the battery grip with bigger battery on the D850 then you get 9 fps.

I’d love to be able to add the grip to get 9fps but it also requires the more expensive battery and an expensive charger too which makes it too expensive.

I have very definitely nailed my colours to the mast and stuck to full frame. I also use film so having one set of lenses to fit both types is the icing for me. I had DX cameras up to the D90 then bought an D700. The quality difference was staggering. I still have the D700 (A tank with a lens on the front) and it was joined with a D600 (twice the pixels, later processor and less weight.) My F4 sits very nicely alongside both. (At least my F4 doesn't need the sensor cleaning, every frame comes with a new sensor!)

Why do I need to spend a fortune on a later cameras than the ones I have? A newer camera does not make me a better photographer does it?.

I definitely need to improve my technique for wildlife (and portraits), but the professional standard focus in the D500 should make it easier to improve my technique?

It’s not foolproof. I have plenty of OOF shots with mine ( although I do push the boundaries somewhat so that’s physics and not the camera at times )

I definitely need to improve my technique for wildlife (and portraits), but the professional standard focus in the D500 should make it easier to improve my technique?

well it’s very good for wildlife. If you have the budget then 2 cameras is fine, but you could make do with just the 850 and buy more/better lenses.
also, it depends what kind of wildlife. For BIF the D500 is excellent. For slow/static animals then IMO D850 will suffice.

The other point is that an APS-C cameras are noisier. Topaz Denoise is useful.

Best way to improve your technique is to practice.

Just purchased the D850 and now looking to possibly upgrade my D750 to a D500

I see the price is now just over £1400 for a UK Warranty - with a D750 trade plus grip that are boxed and in good nick I’m hoping for a decent trade in value, maybe up to £400, getting me the D500 for a grand

So, is it worth it?

Thank you

There’s a D500 plus grip and batteries in the for sale section for £955.

Help please. We did a photo shoot yesterday for my son’s final a-level piece. Car to car shooting.

When he used live view, not a single shot was in focus - I’m not talking a slight miss, I’m talking not even close. I tested the camera today and it does focus in live view but I’m wondering if there is a setting I’ve missed that causes this.

or if there is a way to set the camera up better to ensure focus is achieved ?

Thanks

I was thinking about getting the Nikon 200-500 for shooting wildlife.

My prime interest has always been landscape. I'm useless at taking photographs of people, catching the right moments; however, I am going to get the Godox Xpro and 2 X1R so I can use my SB-700 and SB-910 for some family and friend portraits once we can all meet again.

I also want to start taking wildlife shots. I have tried previously but was discouraged with the results; using initially D7100 and then D750 with the 70-200 and TC-20E III - combination of poor technique, soft image and lower quality and slower camera focus mechanism. I know the D850 is a huge step forward in quality of picture and focus but I'm wondering whether the cropped sensor of the D500 meaning I don't have to use the TC-20E III and the fact that the focus covers the whole screen makes the D500 a great upgrade choice.

Essentially I end up with one great camera for wildlife and fast moving objects and another for landscape and people.

just remember its not the gear its the idiot behind the viewfinder that makes all the difference
the 2x tc are crap stick with the 1.4tc

Check whether Face focusing is on in Live View. I was testing the D500 for use as webcam out of curiosity, checking out the new(ish) capability, and freaked out a bit :oops: :$ when the camera would not focus at all without a face in the scene. Not helped by using a 'focus by wire' lens too, so trying the manual focus overide had no effect.

Also keep in mind, the D500 is not a mirrorless camera, and so does not have the quick focusing in live view mode, compared to mirrorless focusing. In a fast moving scene Live View is not the option to go to. ;)

Check whether Face focusing is on in Live View. I was testing the D500 for use as webcam out of curiosity, checking out the new(ish) capability, and freaked out a bit :oops: :$ when the camera would not focus at all without a face in the scene. Not helped by using a 'focus by wire' lens too, so trying the manual focus overide had no effect.

Also keep in mind, the D500 is not a mirrorless camera, and so does not have the quick focusing in live view mode, compared to mirrorless focusing. In a fast moving scene Live View is not the option to go to. ;)

I will check this as I think it might be. My son uses LV as it’s the only way he can see the subject

will report back (y)

Help please. We did a photo shoot yesterday for my son’s final a-level piece. Car to car shooting.

When he used live view, not a single shot was in focus - I’m not talking a slight miss, I’m talking not even close. I tested the camera today and it does focus in live view but I’m wondering if there is a setting I’ve missed that causes this.

or if there is a way to set the camera up better to ensure focus is achieved ?

Thanks

Are you mistaking out of focus with camera shake - quite easy if the shake is slight.. For what it is worth, I would never use live view for subjects like this, the viewfinder is far better,

No I’m not, they’re definitely OOF

It’s not possible to get low to the ground from a car and see through the viewfinder, hence the LV

My son is quite experienced at this type of shooting so there must be a setting I need to adjust

After a long absence from the forum, I'm back now. Having sold my few bits of Canon gear I have taken the plunge and bought a used D500. In due course and with a limited budget I need to buy suitable lenses. What will the D500 owners recommend. Wildlife I'm thinking either Nikon 200 - 500 or a Sigma 160 - 600 sport. Again either a Nikon 70 - 200 vrii (used) or Sigma 70 - 200 sport or Tamron g2. What macro lens and what all round lens. The lenses will not be bought all at once, any advice will be great fully received. Thanks

Back