D500

I must admit always found that a bit confusing never really compared a D7200 with D810 in crop mode so not going to disagree, but If you had a crop version of the D810 sensor and compared that to the D810 in dx mode (assuming the same AF) surely they must give the same result?
Yes, the D7000 is/was essentially identical to the D800 DX crop (and the D810 for that matter except for the AA filter difference).

Larger pixels are less demanding of the lens, less demanding of aperture, less demanding of AF, less demanding of SS/stability, and they collect more light per (less noise)... but having more/smaller pixels "combine" to negate a lot of that when displayed at an equivalent size. So at 100% view (different sizes) the larger pixel sensor will often win... but at "same size" the difference is typically negated or the smaller(more) pixels may even do better (color information/etc). However, it is possible for a lens/use to not even come close to the requirements of the small pixels, in which case the results from that sensor/lens/settings may be notably worse.

A larger sensor will win when it comes to printing simply because it has to be enlarged less (physically)... the effect is similar to zooming in on an image on screen. The less it is enlarged the better it will look (that's why different sensor sizes have different COC standards/requirements).

I love the word "technically"

but what are your views using both the FX and DX in the field Steven ....... we all get bogged down with technical information, (I love it), but what does it all translate to in real shooting conditions

Possible new stock delays accodring to Thom Hogan. :(

Nikon to announce soon or at their May 13th year end financials meeting in Tokyo that they have significant issues with shipping cameras due to the recent quake. Not just the 1” sensor cameras, as suspected, but pretty much everything (snip) Nikon is suspending all gray market sales.

More details here.

For once I hope he is wrong. I am waiting for a certain grey importer to get stock in, but they have had no info from their suppliers so far. :rolleyes:

Weird that this news is potentially coming out now, when the story a few days ago on DPReview that Fuji production facilities were getting back online after the earthquake, and hoping to get back to full production by the end of May. :thinking:

I love the word "technically"

but what are your views using both the FX and DX in the field Steven ....... we all get bogged down with technical information, (I love it), but what does it all translate to in real shooting conditions
I use the largest I can come close to filling... I don't actually have a DX body any more, but I will run the D810 in DX mode for the extra FPS w/ grip if the image is going to get cropped hard anyway.

That said, there have been numerous times in less ideal conditions where I have gotten equal or better results from the D4 than I could get from the D810 (even with cropping).
Fact is, everything is a tradeoff... sometimes a TC might be a better choice than crop factor, sometimes larger pixels might be a better choice than higher resolution.

Once I was watching a snowy owl from too far in less than ideal conditions and I compared using a Nikon1 V2 (2.7x 14MP) to a D4 (16MP) and a D800 (36MP) using the same lens in the same situation...
The results for same size display were surprisingly similar... but the D4 was the most manageable and likely to get a good result. http://photographic-academy.com/camera-basics/84-camera-basics/141-mp-s-detail-contrast

Last edited:
You've not seen the side by side comparisons I shared a link to then?

Where in Kent btw? If you're ever round Croydon area you're welcome to come and try mine out.

Thanks for the offer Chris, will definitely bear that in mind. I'm in Tunbridge Wells, so a bit far. I'm going to be sticking with the D810 for a long time though, I think!

I can't wait for you to get your lens back and test that beast out! (y)

I've just heard that I should be receiving mine tomorrow, from Jessops. Beyond excited! Hopefully be able to add something to the conversation soon... then comes the decision - sell or keep the trusty old D7100?!

I've been waiting for a certain grey importer to get stock in, but with what I posted about possible camera shortages, I didn't think they would be having any stock for a number of weeks. :( I just went on their site on the off chance to see if they had anything on there about any delays and noticed they had 30 Nikon cameras for sale rather that the 29 they had yesterday. :thinking: Well it said that they have the D500 in stock :eek: so it has been ordered. :banana: I was within weeks of getting the 7DII around Christmas after waiting so long to update the D300S with no sign from Nikon making what I considered a proper replacement. I got the Lexar 32GB 2000x SD card and the 32GB 2933x XQD cards last week, so am ready to go. :D That's lifted my spirits. My Christmas and Birthday present to myself. ;) Can't wait. :D

I've been waiting for a certain grey importer to get stock in, but with what I posted about possible camera shortages, I didn't think they would be having any stock for a number of weeks. :( I just went on their site on the off chance to see if they had anything on there about any delays and noticed they had 30 Nikon cameras for sale rather that the 29 they had yesterday. :thinking: Well it said that they have the D500 in stock :eek: so it has been ordered. :banana: I was within weeks of getting the 7DII around Christmas after waiting so long to update the D300S with no sign from Nikon making what I considered a proper replacement. I got the Lexar 32GB 2000x SD card and the 32GB 2933x XQD cards last week, so am ready to go. :D That's lifted my spirits. My Christmas and Birthday present to myself. ;) Can't wait. :D

I heard that Nikon had suspended delivery to all grey importers so are you sure it's legit? Hope for your sake it is :D but just don't want you to get your hopes up and be disappointed!

I heard that Nikon had suspended delivery to all grey importers so are you sure it's legit? Hope for your sake it is :D but just don't want you to get your hopes up and be disappointed!
It is a company that many on here have dealt with, so I'm pretty confident, but you never know until you get past the automated part of the sale. I should know for sure when I get up in the morning, as they are a few hours ahead. [emoji4]

Should be okay but surprised they are not a bit cheaper :)

Well I haven't heard anything yet which is a bit worrying, but hopefully they are just packing it up before they send it.

The price is not as cheap as I had hoped, but paid for the two memory cards I got with a few quid to spare. If they actually have it in stock of course.

The grey price is bit of a joke. It looks like they are trying to make some money off the lack of supply/high demand issue. Does make me wonder if there is any point going grey if you are only going to save 7% on the uk price, less they do have stock and you have to have one now.

Are Nikon saying that they have actively supported the "grey" market in the past?

If so and it is proved what the "grey" suppliers maybe doing is "illegal" or at best semi-legal, are they knowingly supporting this practice?
If this is true I do not think that they have a "leg to stand upon" if they do not honour any warranty claims

I always buy at the best "deal" I can get, so would not want the market to be controlled any more than it is, but it does seem strange that Nikon are support "grey" retailers directly

Last edited:
£17 cheaper than an 810. Decisions decisions

I guess that's why they bumped the 810 up by 100 last week

Last edited:
Are Nikon saying that they have actively supported the "grey" market in the past?

If so and it is proved what the "grey" suppliers maybe doing is "illegal" or at best semi-legal, are they knowingly supporting this practice?
If this is true I do not think that they have a "leg to stand upon" if they do not honour any warranty claims

I always buy at the best "deal" I can get, so would not want the market to be controlled any more than it is, but it does seem strange that Nikon are support "grey" retailers directly

I don't know, I read it here: http://bythom.com/

"And a quick word: I expect Nikon to announce soon or at their May 13th year end financials meeting in Tokyo that they have significant issues with shipping cameras due to the recent quake. Not just the 1” sensor cameras, as suspected, but pretty much everything. Subsidiaries have been notified of a near term short supply of all cameras, and I’ve even gotten reports out of SE Asia that Nikon is suspending all gray market sales. I’ve received multiple reports that some dealers have been told something similar. The free grip promotion I wrote about earlier today will continue, however it will now terminate on May 14th."

I only ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, but I phoned up today to pay it off and was told they got stock in yesterday so I could have one of them.
Thank you GoW :banana:

I wish someone would post some images with the D500 and a long lens

When mine arrives it will be paired with the Sigma 150-600 C so Ill be happy to post some

Would love to if I had it :/ some threads on DPR with 400mm f2.8s, 500 f4 FL and 600 f4 FL though
Any difference in IQ over the D7200?
Consensus where I've looked says AF and 'feel' are the noticeable differences.

Last edited:
Just for you Bill.

600mm f4 VR & 1.4 TC type III

larger images avail on Flickr

Bittern : Botaurus stellaris
by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

Pied flycatcher : Ficedula hypoleuca

White throat : Sylvia communis

Coot : Fulica atra

Thanks Jerry

#2 and #3 - really good ..especially the ISO 1600 ........ any bg NR .. presumably a little on #2

Bittern looks better on Flickr

Dragonfly very good with the 200 500 ........ surprised?

impressed

Last edited:
Anybody saying this camera produces pictures less sharp than the d7200 should look at those photos!

@gramps my d7200 is with Nikon so can't compare but I've been doing some studio work today with flash and a sigma 18-35 1.8 and the results are as sharp as I'd expect and with ACR default sharpening are fantastically sharp, so I can't imagine the d7200 will be better. Will do some tests when I get my d7200 back though.

Reactions: xmh
@BillN_33 I use Neat Image for noise reduction, there is and option to remove only half the weaker noise and preserve detail and it was only on the background not the bird for that image.

I've been really impressed with the 200-500mm. The Dragonfly was about 3 - 4m away.

Last edited:
Anybody saying this camera produces pictures less sharp than the d7200 should look at those photos!

@gramps my d7200 is with Nikon so can't compare but I've been doing some studio work today with flash and a sigma 18-35 1.8 and the results are as sharp as I'd expect and with ACR default sharpening are fantastically sharp, so I can't imagine the d7200 will be better. Will do some tests when I get my d7200 back though.

Will be interested to read your findings Chris but especially with the 500 when you get it back :)

Will be interested to read your findings Chris but especially with the 500 when you get it back :)

I have a week in dawlish in June so hoping to get a lot of pics with the 500 and well, the 500! FYI it was the DC/DC circuit that's causing the problem with the lens and Nikon are replacing it (as well as doing a full service) but refuse to admit it's a problem. Ffordes are covering it under their warranty so hopefully I'll get it back in good working order for no cost.

I have a week in dawlish in June so hoping to get a lot of pics with the 500 and well, the 500! FYI it was the DC/DC circuit that's causing the problem with the lens and Nikon are replacing it (as well as doing a full service) but refuse to admit it's a problem. Ffordes are covering it under their warranty so hopefully I'll get it back in good working order for no cost.

Glad that Ffordes are covering it for you, they seem like a good supplier :)

Just for you Bill.

600mm f4 VR & 1.4 TC type III

larger images avail on Flickr

Bittern : Botaurus stellaris

Pied flycatcher : Ficedula hypoleuca

White throat : Sylvia communis

Coot : Fulica atra
These are really really nice. How far away from the white throat and flycatcher were you, and how much (if any) cropping was there? I'm assuming with crop factor you're getting the effective focal length of over 1200mm?

Last edited:
Managed to see one first hand yesterday the guy was using a 200/500 lens on it and I had the 80/400 on my D7100 with the 80/400and if I am truly honest I can't really
see me spending the money, I don't need/use loads of FPS, focusing seems on a par as does picture quality so will wait and see how things pan out with those that have them.
Might just settle for a new/used D7200 or see what Nikon does next

Managed to see one first hand yesterday the guy was using a 200/500 lens on it and I had the 80/400 on my D7100 with the 80/400and if I am truly honest I can't really see me spending the money, I don't need/use loads of FPS, focusing seems on a par as does picture quality so will wait and see how things pan out with those that have them.

These are more or less my thoughts, I am yet to see a reason that justifies over £1k above the D7200 I already have :thinking:

Managed to see one first hand yesterday the guy was using a 200/500 lens on it and I had the 80/400 on my D7100 with the 80/400and if I am truly honest I can't really
see me spending the money, I don't need/use loads of FPS, focusing seems on a par as does picture quality so will wait and see how things pan out with those that have them.
Might just settle for a new/used D7200 or see what Nikon does next
These are more or less my thoughts, I am yet to see a reason that justifies over £1k above the D7200 I already have :thinking:

Well, it definitely has better AF than the d7200 as lots of people have attested to. This is mainly in low light though, so may not have shown if you were shooting in good light. High ISO is definitely better, I've seen lots of examples showing this and fps, well, it depends if you want that. Either way, I agree it's not £1000 better than the D7200 but it's certainly better in many ways. @gramps at what price would you consider it, just out of curiosity?

Looking at the controls, Nikon has added the tilting and touch screen and the toggle to move the focus point which I am sure will be well appreciated

The technical side of it seems to add marginal improvements on the D7200 ..... which again will be appreciated

One of the areas that has always slightly worried me slightly is if "good glass" is really used to it's best on DX sensors ......... I just wonder is say the expensive Nikon lens perform differently, (slightly worse) than they do on the FX sensor bodies ..... there must be some technical test around to compare this......... or if DX designed lens will perform better than non DX designed glass ..........

Nikon now seem to be ahead of Canon in many areas

Last edited:
Back