D500

Well I got the camera back today. :)The screen looks perfect. No physical sign of the repair on any of the metal work of the body. Nikon seem to have done a very good job. :)

I bought a screen protector which I will fit later. Hopefully that will stop any damage to the LCD screen again. ;)

Glad to hear you've got it back. Now look forward to seeing some of your pics in this thread :)

Btw, where did you buy the screen protector from?

Well I got the camera back today. :)The screen looks perfect. No physical sign of the repair on any of the metal work of the body. Nikon seem to have done a very good job. :)

I bought a screen protector which I will fit later. Hopefully that will stop any damage to the LCD screen again. ;)

How did you damage the LCD screen?

Glad to hear you've got it back. Now look forward to seeing some of your pics in this thread :)

Thanks. :)

Btw, where did you buy the screen protector from?

I got this from Amazon. I virtually doubled the cost to get next day delivery. I thought I was going to have longer to get it, but because the camera was done quicker than expected, I wanted it when the camera came back. The cover for the shoulder LCD wasn't too good, though I may have put it on wrong. That's why I used that to practise. The cover for the rear LCD seems very good.

How did you damage the LCD screen?

I had my camera in a backpack, which fell off a table. Something else in the bag must had caught the LCD. Similar things have happened with previous cameras with no problems, so hopefully just unlucky, as I haven't heard of anyone else's screen getting damaged. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A pic from a visit to Martin Mere with the D500. A Coot running along the water to take off.
16059-1470265464-8c6c36546a34faca4f39a54221650676.jpg

Trying out the jpeg option and seems to work quite well, though still needed some PP so will check the in-camera profile adjustments ... lovely little juvenile Kestrel dropped down into the grass way in front of the hide.

Kestrel2.jpg

What are your jpeg profile settings?

On the top LCD I have ADL highlighted.
This does not appear in the manual on the LCD description picture.
The only reference I can see to it are on page 146 and 155 where it mentions bracketing. I've changed the bracketing to all 4 options and the ADL is still there (It's also highlighted on a friends D500)
The camera works fine but wondering if anyone else has this highlighted or have found what it applies to.

The only reference I can see to it are on page 146 and 155 where it mentions bracketing. I've changed the bracketing to all 4 options and the ADL is still there (It's also highlighted on a friends D500)
The camera works fine but wondering if anyone else has this highlighted or have found what it applies to.

You have active d-lighting turned on. Press menu and go into the photo shooting menu. Scroll the active d-lighting and turn it off and the icon will go from the top LCD :)

As above it's active d-lighting, some like it some don't. However, if you shoot RAW and don't use Nikon Capture NX to process your images you will find that your RAW files look different to what you're seeing on your camera as other programs do not apply ADL settings to the RAW files (although some will argue that it does affect RAW files a teeny tiny amount).

This helps to explain ADL

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-an...exposures-with-nikon-s-active-d-lighting.html

Thank you for your replies. Yes that was exactly what happened, I had d lighting on and turning it off, as I shoot raw, got rid of the icon. Not sure why that icon is not in the menu pic showing all the lcd icons. Thanks again.

So what's all this fuss about the AF and tracking on the D500 then???

During a quiet moment in the hide and looking way across the water I spotted some Dragonflies strutting their stuff! :D

Dragonfly.jpg

I'm sure I would never have got this on any of my other cameras, at least I've never caught one in flight before!

D500
Nikon 500 f4 VR + TC 1.4E-II

During a quiet moment in the hide and looking way across the water I spotted some Dragonflies strutting their stuff! :D

View attachment 70822

I'm sure I would never have got this on any of my other cameras, at least I've never caught one in flight before!

D500

You've done well there!:)

View attachment 70822

D500

Good grab, Roger. At 700mm too (or 1050mm with the crop sensor taken into account) it would've still been tricky to keep it in the viewfinder :)

I got some BiF shots of a Juve BH Gull and I like the fact that the 10 fps gives you a different wing shape in the whole of the sequence.

Heard a few using the Meike one though haven't tried it myself.

Mine is on order prior to the price increase with the genuine Nikon grip..

I just hope it answers all my prayers regarding buffer, it looks awesome on paper

Another example of the focusing on the D500 - there is no way I would have got this with the D810.

Heard a clatter of wings quickly followed by the young Sparrowhawk chasing something out of the trees. The prey turned and headed back into the tree line.

The whole sequence must have lasted around 5 seconds and it was high speed action.

This is also posted in the bird forum - just not sure if everyone looks in there :)

Hot Pursuit by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Another example of the focusing on the D500 - there is no way I would have got this with the D810.

Heard a clatter of wings quickly followed by the young Sparrowhawk chasing something out of the trees. The prey turned and headed back into the tree line.

The whole sequence must have lasted around 5 seconds and it was high speed action.

This is also posted in the bird forum - just not sure if everyone looks in there :)

Dave.

Fabulous Dave, no never venture into the bird forum. Went once, got burned..

Dave.

Great shot Dave. What focus mode were you in?

Any birders here identify this Heron for me ?
It only made one pass all day, best I've got.

Which Heron ? by Trevor, on Flickr

Any birders here identify this Heron for me ?
It only made one pass all day, best I've got.

Which Heron ? by Trevor, on Flickr

Looks like a Grey Heron to me.

The image is quite under exposed - can you lift the shadows at all?

Under exposing is a problem with BIF when they are over either a bright sky or bright water :(

There are ways to combat it though :)

Looks like a Grey Heron to me.

The image is quite under exposed - can you lift the shadows at all?

Under exposing is a problem with BIF when they are over either a bright sky or bright water :(

There are ways to combat it though :)

Thanks Dave, here's another shot with better exposure. It's the black feet that are confusing me.

ID Please by Trevor, on Flickr

Nice shot

It isn't a little owl though (unless you mean it is small :) )

The eyes and tufts say Long Eared Owl or Eagle Owl to my untrained eye, but I am by no means an expert

Yes, it was me trying to be a bit ironic! It is indeed an Eagle Owl, huge thing it was too!

They probably aren't black though, it's still very under-exposed :)

Ok. But most Herons I've seen have Orange/Yellow feet. No matter how I ramp up the exposure I can't get them to be anything but Black. Same with the head, no white bits.

Ok. But most Herons I've seen have Orange/Yellow feet. No matter how I ramp up the exposure I can't get them to be anything but Black. Same with the head, no white bits.
Feet will be grey/yellow, sometimes appearing almost green. :)

I think it is a Grey Heron and as the upper wing pattern matches. The black head might just be the angle of the shot. The feet can be black(ish) depending on what they've been in.

Here's one I prepared earlier with black head and feet, taken last year.
DSC_0287.jpg

Here's a set that I couldn't have got with the D300S because the 10fps was not there. Now I'm not saying any of them are great pics, but 10fps gives me more chances of getting 'a' good shot in a situation like this. I found it interesting how the stumps moved back and forth after being hit.

16110-1470681176-02d2958e68be24df342e352f36c2fed8.jpg

16111-1470681188-d01da4f7239f4408eb43b64315e54501.jpg

16112-1470681200-11662e19f39a92bbde9757eb0b5bff53.jpg

16113-1470681210-f9eb9a26f3fd3369d114ecdc59d0a994.jpg

16114-1470681219-f7ec38a1e76dcc6d9164829a9d37724c.jpg

Dave.

"Cracking" shot Dave, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Back