D500

Thats good news, i missed the reason for the return was it just poor battery performance.
It was Mike, yes ... it's been repaired so hopefully it will perform as it should. :)

Well it's finally back, 43 days after Nikon Service UK received it ... looks clean anyway, need to get rid of this persistent cold man-flu in order to get out and test it. :)

Mine’s “delayed” in Germany..

Well haven't been out with the camera yet due to man-flu ( :D ) but it's been back now over 24 hours and there has been no battery leakage with it left off, so it looks as though whatever has been done may well have fixed the problem ... it'll be Monday before I get the opportunity to test how it performs 'in the field'.

I'm using mine in Tenerife just now for the grey back gorillas and killer whales what a bit of kit
the 10fps is brilliant at capturing the whales as the breech on the water
would only sell mine if the new d850 is as good as all the hype

Well haven't been out with the camera yet due to man-flu ( :D ) but it's been back now over 24 hours and there has been no battery leakage with it left off, so it looks as though whatever has been done may well have fixed the problem ... it'll be Monday before I get the opportunity to test how it performs 'in the field'.
Great news Roger, I know I can leave mine in a bag for weeks at a time and never seems to move much so hopefully yours is all good now :)

Great news Roger, I know I can leave mine in a bag for weeks at a time and never seems to move much so hopefully yours is all good now :)

Thanks Adam, I hope it's okay ... nothing expressly detailing what was done to directly address the issue, more like a general check/service but maybe some mumbo-jumbo 'under the bonnet'. :D

tell you i miss the pop up flash especially in this bright sunshine taking face shots with nasty shadows from the sun !!

Sooo....:mad: open the box, take out the 16-80 and see this inside the lens ( the bright spot at about 7 o'clock )

16-80 by damianmkv, on Flickr

Dust ? Or something else ? It's brand new - should I send this photo to Panamoz ?

Annoying, assume you are sure it's on the inside ... possibly dislodged in transit.
Panamoz will see you okay.

You're right, Trevor - it's bloody annoying but worse things happen at sea. We'll see how they respond.

On a more positive note, Snapbridge worked out of the box :eek: but boy does it use the battery - 9% in 14 shots which is more than Olympus. Turned it off, airplane mode on, everything else off. Hopefully..

Last edited:
You're right, Trevor - it's bloody annoying but worse things happen at sea. We'll see how they respond.

On a more positive note, Snapbridge worked out of the box :eek: but boy does it use the battery - 9% in 14 shots which is more than Olympus. Turned it off, airplane mode on, everything else off. Hopefully..

You will need to go through 3 or 4 battery charge cycles before you get an accurate estimate of battery life.

Panamoz emailed this morning, apologising and giving me the option of returning the lens for replacement or getting it serviced at Nikon at their cost. I'll go for the latter I think, I'm working abroad in 10 days for the week so won't need the lens then

Panamoz emailed this morning, apologising and giving me the option of returning the lens for replacement or getting it serviced at Nikon at their cost. I'll go for the latter I think, I'm working abroad in 10 days for the week so won't need the lens then
Just a reminder, my D500 spent 43 days at Nikon Service ... Panamoz will send you all the paperwork and arrange collection if you do decide to send it for replacement.

Hopefully they have a department for camera repairs and one for lenses :thinking: ( yeah...right ). I've picked up the 35 f1.8 so I can use that and I still have the e-m1 if they take too long. I guess it should be a quick fix so provided they're not toooo snowed under.. we'll see

Hopefully they have a department for camera repairs and one for lenses :thinking: ( yeah...right ). I've picked up the 35 f1.8 so I can use that and I still have the e-m1 if they take too long. I guess it should be a quick fix so provided they're not toooo snowed under.. we'll see

I'd definitely get it replaced. Bet it'll be quicker than a repair at Nikon.

I am with the others I’d be having a replacement for sure

Enjoy it Damian...

In other news, I did a half day Nikon Masterclass on the D500 with Simon Stafford today, and whilst the content could be a little dry, some very interesing little hints and tips that the pro's have came to surface. Happy wnought he the price of the class and will look at other offeriings from the Nikon owner group.

Enjoyed today - still trying to teach my brain that Nikon zooms zoom the "wrong" way...I'm sure it will happen

What have you learnt today, Mark ?

Enjoyed today - still trying to teach my brain that Nikon zooms zoom the "wrong" way...I'm sure it will happen

What have you learnt today, Mark ?

Hard to actually fixate overall I think, but a few things stand out...

Dont use AWB, use 5500k subject to conditions, Group AF is great for BIF bur not Motogp, whereas D25 is the opposite....

BTW, I think you'll find its Canon that zoom incorrectly... ;)

lens collected before 10am this morning, emailed Panamoz to tell them..they replied in 2 minutes thanking me for my patience and saying that they'll send the tracking details for the replacement soon ( i don't expect it this week )

so..i've been thinking about needing more length ( :LOL: ) and had a brief play on Sunday with a d810 and Sigma 70-200 OS HSM thingy. Asking the owner, he said it does 95% of the stuff Nikon's 70-200 does but for around £550 used. That got me thinking..is it any good ? or should i just get a VR1 ? Then, as my ( cough ) budget was going up, i looked at the Tamron g2 which is around £900 grey and is supposed to be excellent and their TC doesn't appear to degrade IQ...

Negatives- f2.8s are big and heavy, need large filters, don't need f2.8 all the time, cost ( ? )
Pros - love the ability to separate the subject and the background, can add a TC and still have a relatively quick lens

or am i mad and i should just go for the 70-200 f4 ? But its a bit short so if i add a TC it turns into f5.6 at 200mm, then i start thinking about the considerably cheaper 70-300VR again.

( m43 was much easier, i had 1 "choice" for f 2.8 with this FL )

:thinking:

lens collected before 10am this morning, emailed Panamoz to tell them..they replied in 2 minutes thanking me for my patience and saying that they'll send the tracking details for the replacement soon ( i don't expect it this week )

so..i've been thinking about needing more length ( :LOL: ) and had a brief play on Sunday with a d810 and Sigma 70-200 OS HSM thingy. Asking the owner, he said it does 95% of the stuff Nikon's 70-200 does but for around £550 used. That got me thinking..is it any good ? or should i just get a VR1 ? Then, as my ( cough ) budget was going up, i looked at the Tamron g2 which is around £900 grey and is supposed to be excellent and their TC doesn't appear to degrade IQ...

Negatives- f2.8s are big and heavy, need large filters, don't need f2.8 all the time, cost ( ? )
Pros - love the ability to separate the subject and the background, can add a TC and still have a relatively quick lens

or am i mad and i should just go for the 70-200 f4 ? But its a bit short so if i add a TC it turns into f5.6 at 200mm, then i start thinking about the considerably cheaper 70-300VR again.

( m43 was much easier, i had 1 "choice" for f 2.8 with this FL )

:thinking:

Whatever you decide. Make sure it's F2.8...

Ime sure i have read reports about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 being soft at the long end

Back