D500

Thought I'd post in here as a just got my D500 a couple of days ago, previous Nikon which I'm keeping for diving trips is a D7000. I hummed and ha'ed about buying it for a couple of weeks and wondered if I would feel remorse after buying, but I've had none at all! :) Already taken 300 odd pictures, but many of those are just testing out the settings. Even though I'd read about half of this thread picking up ideas and helping me to make sure I was making the right decision I am still astounded at the AF speed and the low light capability compared to the 7k. Also loving the ergonomics so far, all the controls feel like they fall into just the right place. Though the 'OK' button I'm needing to get used to. The other revelation is the shooting speed and how quickly the buffer clears, even using my older 60mb/s SD card. With the 7k I'd often get missed shots because the buffer was trying to clear sufficiently for more pictures to be taken. Debated not buying an XQD card after all, but have bought one anyway! :LOL: I'm guessing this speed is due to the expeed processor and improved bus architecture speed?

Currently working my way through Thom Hogans book and setting it up how I want. I even managed to get snapbridge working, but looking at its limitations (2mb non-raw files, having to disconnect from one network to directly connect to the camera) and the fact you can't really do much with it, I've now turned airplane mode on!

One thing I can't work out (Thoms book doesn't say much about snapbridge), is how do you get GPS data onto the pictures, are any jpegs downloaded from the camera to device stamped with this at the device? That is one thing I would like to be able to do with snapbridge, as to what else it could do I guess I'll have to wait to see if Nikon manage to turn it into something decent (not holding my breath there). I regard it as a nice 'extra' so if Nikon don't sort it I won't be that bothered.

One thing I can't work out (Thoms book doesn't say much about snapbridge), is how do you get GPS data onto the pictures, are any jpegs downloaded from the camera to device stamped with this at the device? That is one thing I would like to be able to do with snapbridge, as to what else it could do I guess I'll have to wait to see if Nikon manage to turn it into something decent (not holding my breath there). I regard it as a nice 'extra' so if Nikon don't sort it I won't be that bothered.

You need to run SnapBridge on a Phone or Tablet with GPS and connect it to the D500 via Bluetooth. Set Upload Location on in SnapBridge. In the camera you make sure that 'Download from smart device' is on in the camera. I use it occasionally, though it is very hit and miss as regards of connecting, and staying connected. When it works it is great, but it needs a lot of work, which I don't think Nikon are up to.

ok thanks. That confirms what I have set. When you say GPS on phone or tablet, do you mean you need a separate GPS logging program or just the phones built in ability to know where it is?

ok thanks. That confirms what I have set. When you say GPS on phone or tablet, do you mean you need a separate GPS logging program or just the phones built in ability to know where it is?
No, you just have to have a device that has a GPS receiver, and that it is switched on. ;) I use my tablet, and when I start SnapBridge it also prompts me to turn on the Bluetooth too.

So, I was managing to get photo info, but not gps data on the photos. I went looking for a solution online, but everything I came up against was people saying snapbridge is no good for this use. So I think I'll stop wasting time on it and get a third party solution if I feel I really need it. Never mind, would have been a nice extra to have.

So, I was managing to get photo info, but not gps data on the photos. I went looking for a solution online, but everything I came up against was people saying snapbridge is no good for this use. So I think I'll stop wasting time on it and get a third party solution if I feel I really need it. Never mind, would have been a nice extra to have.
The connection between GPS device (tablet or phone) is temperamental. I make sure I turn on the 'Location' part of the tablet on for a minute or two before I start SnapBridge. And then I try and connect the camera and SnapBridge. I then check whether the location is found on the camera. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is not very good software imho, but it is a feature I sometimes want to use, especially tavelling, so I'll continue to use it.

The connection between GPS device (tablet or phone) is temperamental. I make sure I turn on the 'Location' part of the tablet on for a minute or two before I start SnapBridge. And then I try and connect the camera and SnapBridge. I then check whether the location is found on the camera. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is not very good software imho, but it is a feature I sometimes want to use, especially tavelling, so I'll continue to use it.

I've played with it a bit more now and it will fit what I need I think. I can view photo locations in the map module of LR and also found an LR plugin which adds some functionality too. So far I've found Snapbridge OK to setup, if not intuitive, (one of my backgrounds is IT work) it is limited by its lack of features, the 2mb, no-raw file transfer and the fact you have to change network connections to connect directly to the camera which is a faff. I also found the app has to be active for the camera and phone to connect, but that's not a big issue. The thing seems a great idea that is woefully short of its potential.

I wonder who does software development for Nikon? Do they do it in-house? If so maybe it's time to get someone decent outside on the job.

But, at the end of the day for me 'it's a nice to have' so I'm not too bothered.

Last edited:
I went out today and got some pictures with snap bridge connected to the camera. I got locations for the photos OK. But for a number of them the location data was somewhat out, however I was only walking over a couple of kilometres. Seems snapbridge may not update its location data very often, it cannot differentiate small distances, or I am doing something wrong! (probably the latter)

I had the app running all the time although the phone did go into sleep mode as it normally does when not used. Does the phone need to be in a permanent on state? i.e with the screen on, for it to work more accurately.

Well D500 is all packed up and on it's way back to Nikon UK for them to look at the power related issues. Fingers crossed, and hope that when I get the estimate that Panamoz honour their promise to pay straight away.

Gramps, out of interest, what did they change on yours when you sent it in and what sort of price did it cost (if you don't mind me asking), as you said that Panamoz paid you immediately ?

Gramps, out of interest, what did they change on yours when you sent it in and what sort of price did it cost (if you don't mind me asking), as you said that Panamoz paid you immediately ?

PM sent. :)

Thanks Gramps.

My D810 is away for a service - so the D500 has been my go to landscape camera.

Up early and into the Peaks at the weekend - the sunrise was a bit pants, but the light 30 minutes later was worth capturing.

This is a 7 shot pano (also posted in the landscapes section)

Hope by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.
That’s a cracking shot, very nice

Anyone using the Siggy 150-600 with Sigma 1.4 TC ?
How’s the focus acquisition?

Just a quick update from Nikon UK re my returned D500 that had the battery draining issue. I sent just the body back with one of my 3 EN-EL15 batteries. They said they have been able to reproduce the fault using the battery I supplied with the camera, but it doesn't exhibit the same fault with their own workshop batteries ?

Now one of the 3 is the original unit that came with the camera, and the other 2 were purchased as a present by my wife though Amazon UK (although fulfilled though Amazon but not by them directly). They have asked me to also send in my MB-D17 battery grip as well as the spare batteries for testing.

I'm now starting to wonder if these spares ones I purchased were fakes (or certainly non genuine). Problem is, it's well over a year ago I purchased them so doubt if that is the problem that I'll get any comeback after this much elapsed time. Guess I won't know for sure until they are inspected and tested by Nikon. Will be a real bummer if the problem all this time was due to having dud batteries !

Last edited:
Just a quick update from Nikon UK re my returned D500 that had the battery draining issue. I sent just the body back with one of my 3 EN-EL15 batteries. They said they have been able to reproduce the fault using the battery I supplied with the camera, but it doesn't exhibit the same fault with their own workshop batteries ?

Now one of the 3 is the original unit that came with the camera, and the other 2 were purchased as a present by my wife though Amazon UK (although fulfilled though Amazon but not by them directly). They have asked me to also send in my MB-D17 battery grip as well as the spare batteries for testing.

I'm now starting to wonder if these spares ones I purchased were fakes (or certainly non genuine). Problem is, it's well over a year ago I purchased them so doubt if that is the problem that I'll get any comeback after this much elapsed time. Guess I won't know for sure until they are inspected and tested by Nikon. Will be a real bummer if the problem all this time was due to having dud batteries !

I really doubt that it will be down to dud batteries, there are too many reports out there ... do you know which battery came with the camera?

I'm pretty sure it's the one I sent with the camera, but to be honest Gramps, I can't be 100% sure I'm afraid (as I didn't label them at the beginning).

There is an updated version of SnapBridge available, which you should have been notified about if you have it installed. Unless you are like me, and your device is no longer compatible. :-(

Hopefully it is much improved. It needs to be imho.

Pity I can't try it for myself.

Last edited:
There is an updated version of SnapBridge available, which you should have been notified about if you have it installed. Unless you are like me, and your device is no longer compatible. :-(

Hopefully it is much improved. It needs to be imho.

Pity I can't try it for myself.

Thanks for letting us know ... looks like a much overdue concession to battery conservation in there! :)

Grrr - had to delete and reinstall the app as well as delete the phone from the camera and re-pair it. Why can't Nikon just update an app that continues to work without having to start from the beginning ?

Grrr - had to delete and reinstall the app as well as delete the phone from the camera and re-pair it. Why can't Nikon just update an app that continues to work without having to start from the beginning ?

My Snapbridge is just 'searching', can't seem to find the camera that is showing the camera on the 'Connect to remote device' procedure.
What did you have to do? (Easy steps please.)

That’s exactly what mine did so I went to Bluetooth on my phone, found the camera and clicked “forget this device”.

On the camera, I went to paired devices and deleted the phone.

Uninstalled the app from my phone, downloaded again and reinstalled. Then started the process of pairing again and it worked straight away.

Oddly, even though I have the same phone, the camera has it as a different name than previous.

What a pain!
Well it's connected now (thanks :) ) who knows whether it will be tomorrow. :(

neither of these are winning photos but my youngest went donutting on Friday night and it was real dark..

so i upped the ISO

ISO32000 by damianmkv, on Flickr

like i say, its fine for a memory but i was really impressed with IS032000 ! 51200 was not so good as you'd expect

a shot of where he was, looking to Heathrow

sandown ski centre
by damianmkv, on Flickr

I've decided to take advantage of the lensesforhire Xmas deal and hire a super tele..they don't have a sigma c, only a sigma sport which is nigh on 3kg so I've gone for a tamron 150-600 g2 for £55 from 20/12 - 2/1. Bargain.

I know it's not the Sigma C but the weight is similar and that's my concern at this stage...here hoping I find something to shoot

I've decided to take advantage of the lensesforhire Xmas deal and hire a super tele..they don't have a sigma c, only a sigma sport which is nigh on 3kg so I've gone for a tamron 150-600 g2 for £55 from 20/12 - 2/1. Bargain.

I know it's not the Sigma C but the weight is similar and that's my concern at this stage...here hoping I find something to shoot

I have the 70-200 Tamron G2 and it is superb - I would expect the 150-600 to be the same :)

Have you had the Nikon 70-200 to compare Dave?
I have owned the mk2 Nikon lens but I didn't really use it that much.

I ended up selling it on as it never came out of my bag. I was asked to photograph a wedding for a family friend a few months ago and decided to treat myself to another 70-200. Looked around and saw the new Tamron - it was well reviewed and I could get a new one from Panamoz for the same price as a used Nikon Mk2.

I still don't use it much - I mainly shoot landscapes and a bit of wildlife. The focal length is a bit too mid ground for either of those but useful on occassion :)

Image quality and stabilisation are superb - the arca swiss foot is also a great addition.

There are plenty of side by side reviews on Youtube

Dave.

Last edited:
I have owned the mk2 Nikon lens but I didn't really use it that much.

I ended up selling it on as it never came out of my bag. I was asked to photograph a wedding for a family friend a few months ago and decided to treat myself to another 70-200. Looked around and saw the new Tamron - it was well reviewed and I could get a new one from Panamoz for the same price as a used Nikon Mk2.

I still don't use it much - I mainly shoot landscapes and a bit of wildlife. The focal length is a bit too mid ground for either of those but useful on occassion :)

Image quality and stabilisation are superb - the arca swiss foot is also a great addition.

There are plenty of side by side reviews on Youtube

Dave.
Thanks Dave

150-600 g2 has arrived..typically, its overcast today :mad: Its not too heavy but ( state the bleedin' obvious coming up ), it doesn't half move around at the long end. Does everyone use a monopod or is it technique / good light required ?

Back