D500

Well I went out, it was very dark ( in the camera's eyes ) so the metering was all over the place. A bird, light grey skies, trees, iso4000... got lots of poorly exposed shots as I was in shutter mode and wanted the speed up to counteract wobbly hands.

Need more time / practice / less schoolboy errors...

Last edited:
I've decided to take advantage of the lensesforhire Xmas deal and hire a super tele..they don't have a sigma c, only a sigma sport which is nigh on 3kg so I've gone for a tamron 150-600 g2 for £55 from 20/12 - 2/1. Bargain.

I know it's not the Sigma C but the weight is similar and that's my concern at this stage...here hoping I find something to shoot
I brought the first version of the Tamron 150-600mm as a stop gap when my Nikkor 200-500mm was in for repair (10 months don't ask), I found it very capable, a good honest lens for the money, I must admit though I do prefer the 200-500 :)

PS. I'd better put an example for you, D500 body BTW :)
PPS the processing isn't the lens fault lol :)

Last edited:
The 200-500 is too long at the wide end for me, hence the testing of a 150-xxx

I brought the first version of the Tamron 150-600mm as a stop gap when my Nikkor 200-500mm was in for repair (10 months don't ask), I found it very capable, a good honest lens for the money, I must admit though I do prefer the 200-500 :)

PS. I'd better put an example for you, D500 body BTW :)
PPS the processing isn't the lens fault lol :)

Thanks Ian, spot metering or ... ?

I'm actually in the process of selling my Tamron 150-600 G1 which I'll be putting up in the classified section shortly. Good lens, had some cracking shots with it with the D500 - just keen to try something new now and will have some Christmas money to spend :)

Thanks Ian, spot metering or ... ?
It was spot metering, all the exif is on Flickr if you click on the picture, I still have the Tamron btw :)

Thanks - I haven’t had a chance to use the one I’m borrowing much really as the weather is so gloomy..

looking to buy aftermarket grip for the d500
what do you recommend ?
what don't you buy ?

I'm actually in the process of selling my Tamron 150-600 G1 which I'll be putting up in the classified section shortly. Good lens, had some cracking shots with it with the D500 - just keen to try something new now and will have some Christmas money to spend :)

get the nikon 200-500 superb

looking to buy aftermarket grip for the d500
what do you recommend ?
what don't you buy ?
I got a Neewer MB-D17 off the 'bay' and though I haven't used it a lot, it has worked as expected when I have used it. :) At about £32 it was cheap enough to be something to buy that will get occasional use.

Does anybody know if it's possible to set a button on the D500 so you can toggle backwards and forwards between single point AF and dynamic 25 point. At the moment I have set my fn1 button for single point with BBF button set to 25 dynamic point. It's quite a stretch with the old hand holding down fn1 button at the front as well as the BBF button and the shutter to take the shot. What would be better would be if I could toggle backwards and forwards by just pressing the fn1 button once, rather than holding it down. Not sure if that's possible?

Also, what do you guys use for BIF - dynamic 25 72 point?

Last edited:
first sunny day of the holidays yesterday so popped to the coast to use the 150-600 g2

d25 for this - i found d72 too large ( couldn't be bothered to edit the building out )

i've got my eye on you
by damianmkv, on Flickr

when i grow up, i want to be a flamingo
by damianmkv, on Flickr

and ..of course..

long lens = shoot the moon
by damianmkv, on Flickr

there's now a huuggge wind farm on the horizon

sunset over the turbines
by damianmkv, on Flickr

and with the 16-80

pretty in pink
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely - have been looking at that lens recently. It would mean I’d have to sell my 35

Lovely - have been looking at that lens recently. It would mean I’d have to sell my 35

The Sigma Art lens is fantastic lens it really is nice one.. I got it for it 1.8

I did have a 50-100 art just for a day but found it too short of a focal and wasn't worth having in the bag even though that was a sharp lens too

What lens you got so far?

16-80 f2.8-f4 and 35mm f1.8. I also have the 70-300 af-p but might have sold that tonight ( oops ). Need something longer really as discussed (y)

I’ve though about the 16-80 as a good walk about. But trying stuck with FX lens I know the sigma isn’t but I got that for 1.8. Reason I like try stay FX so if I move back to FF I’ve the correct lens.

how do you find the 16-80 on the d500? im using a 17-55 as a walk around and feel the 16-80 with its larger focal range would be more suited. im only hesitant because i would loose the 2.8.

For what I use it for, it's fine - ok it might be nice to have a constant 2.8 but f4 isn't really slow. I find it pretty sharp and accurate

Been using a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 from Lenses4Hire for a few days and it's been working well on the D500.
One of my fears in reading some of the reviews was that the AF was slow and not so good, but it certainly isn't for me ... here is a test shot showing a distant starling coming in to join the flock.

1/3200sec
f5.6
ISO1000

Small amount of noise reduction and a little sharpening and could be improved with a little more work.

Full frame view.

Test-1.jpg

100% crop

Test-2.jpg

Been using a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 from Lenses4Hire for a few days and it's been working well on the D500.
One of my fears in reading some of the reviews was that the AF was slow and not so good, but it certainly isn't for me ... here is a test shot showing a distant starling coming in to join the flock.

1/3200sec
f5.6
ISO1000

Small amount of noise reduction and a little sharpening and could be improved with a little more work.

Full frame view.

View attachment 117408

100% crop

View attachment 117409

Looks like you're making good use of the lens, and performance is good too. Quick question - how do you apply sharpening? :) Another question - if the subject is further away is it required to use an even faster shutter speed, 1/3200 is really fast!!

Looks like you're making good use of the lens, and performance is good too. Quick question - how do you apply sharpening? :) Another question - if the subject is further away is it required to use an even faster shutter speed, 1/3200 is really fast!!

I haven't had as many days as I would have liked, nor the light when I have been out but the lens has generally impressed me.
There are various ways of sharpening, dedicated software or using the provision within Lightroom or Photoshop, I mainly use Photoshop.
I wanted to test the lens at all sorts of different settings and 1/3200 was just one such test ... with BIF a higher shutter count is always going to give better results but it should be at least equivalent to the focal length (DX body + 500mm lens = 750 therefore 1/750th or above).
Distance from the subject doesn't require a faster shutter speed but movement of the subject does.
In general terms the closer you can get to the subject the better the image will be (all other things being equal!) a distant shot can be affected by many factors including lens quality, thermal activity etc.

anyone ever used the focus only setting for the shutter {A1} with afc for birds in flight or for an airshow?

looking to try and get a higher hit rate of shots in focus when using a high fps

We met up with a few dozen friends and went for a drive via the Hindhead Tunnel. Of course, with fast cars = police presence as they assume everyone is going to drive like a lunatic ( I didn't see any ). A tunnel run = acceleration, brake, repeat which lead to the tunnel's safety system thinking there was a crash so it dropped the limit to 40. Residents complained of the noise in the tunnel, the police took to twitter moaning about " middle aged men" in supercars and how they'd impound cars blah blah blah.

One guy complained it had woken him up ( we didn't leave the start point on the m25 until 2.45pm )

Worse things happen at sea. For us, it gave an opportunity for my 14 year old to use my d500 ( he took the above shots ). I can't wait for him to be old enough to drive..

Cant believe how dead it is in this D500 thread.... That D750 thread is still alive ha ha

D500 delivered today and quite like it, slightly heavier and bigger than the XT2 but nicer to hold, though yet to carry t all day. Thinking of getting one of these cheap:eek: XQD cards. Any consensus on which to buy, thinking 32gb/maybe 64.
TIA

D500 delivered today and quite like it, slightly heavier and bigger than the XT2 but nicer to hold, though yet to carry t all day. Thinking of getting one of these cheap:eek: XQD cards. Any consensus on which to buy, thinking 32gb/maybe 64.
TIA

32 GB is fine and for what it's worth you don't need the fastest card on the planet, the M Series cards are perfectly fast enough unless you really are going to be gunning fast action motorsport or something like that ... and they are around half the price and available.

Reactions: nog
32 GB is fine and for what it's worth you don't need the fastest card on the planet, the M Series cards are perfectly fast enough unless you really are going to be gunning fast action motorsport or something like that ... and they are around half the price and available.

Thanks, ordered a 32gb Sony M, guess I`d better look for a reader now- prefer them to using a cable after having a close call a while ago.

TIA

Congratulations. Great camera.

Back