D500

It’s a brilliant camera...

Just got a D500, have fitted anti scratch type screen protector, but does anyone know or have a cover (for transport/when not in use) like a plastic screen cover/protector ?

Just got a D500, have fitted anti scratch type screen protector, but does anyone know or have a cover (for transport/when not in use) like a plastic screen cover/protector ?
Afaik know there isn't one. The old plastic covers Nikon had were nice, :) but a screen protector should be fine unless you have solid things in your bag knocking into it. But then that is the same with most cameras. ;)

Afaik know there isn't one. The old plastic covers Nikon had were nice, :) but a screen protector should be fine unless you have solid things in your bag knocking into it. But then that is the same with most cameras. ;)
Cheers, I only put the thin anti scratch type ones on, maybe should have gone with tempered glass, but coming from D5100 with rotating screen, the D500 just looks like it’s asking to be broke :(

Cheers, I only put the thin anti scratch type ones on, maybe should have gone with tempered glass, but coming from D5100 with rotating screen, the D500 just looks like it’s asking to be broke :(
I put a tempered glass one on mine. Not sure I would have anything too thin. [emoji6]

No flash allowed, not too disappointed with the D500 at ISO6400:

44559143381_bfd12c7841_b.jpg

Shot at the World Museum, Liverpool.

GC

aghhhhh :(
just gone to do my usual rotational charge of my 3 batteries and 1 is just flashing like mad in the charger :(
tried unplugging etc and put it in the camera but nothing.
guessing it's time to buy a new battery or 2 any recommendations ?
my 3 are all genuine (only one has failed)
not adverse to buying 3rd party if anyone knows of a good one.

aghhhhh :(
just gone to do my usual rotational charge of my 3 batteries and 1 is just flashing like mad in the charger :(
tried unplugging etc and put it in the camera but nothing.
guessing it's time to buy a new battery or 2 any recommendations ?
my 3 are all genuine (only one has failed)
not adverse to buying 3rd party if anyone knows of a good one.

I find EXpro very satisfactory.

I've owned a D750 since the beginning of 2015 and can't fault it apart from losing the silly eye cap early on. I was thinking selling, saving for a D850 next but have talked myself out of it and have just ordered a D500 from Panamoz instead . I shoot local karting meetings each month, which really should be ideal events for testing the D500's Pro attributes. I could use the extra gain in reach too for aircraft/car circuits and wildlife action, so am looking forward to testing it on arrival. I will also now have the time to send the D750 off for it's shutter replacement, as I didn't want to be without it while covering events and can also sell on my D7100 that just hasn't been used since I've owned the FX bodied camera.
I've read many pages of posts on here and have been impressed with the images posted, so I'm sure it won't disappoint.

have just ordered a D500 from Panamoz instead . I shoot local karting meetings each month, which really should be ideal events for testing the D500's Pro attributes.
I also got my D500 from Panamoz. You should have it in a couple of days. ;) Let us know how you get on. :)

I also got my D500 from Panamoz. You should have it in a couple of days. ;) Let us know how you get on. :)

Yes will do, they said 4-5 business days, so I will be very pleased it if arrives in time for the weekend. I have an event the following weekend to give it a good try out, I'd best order up a spare battery too.

Yes will do, they said 4-5 business days, so I will be very pleased it if arrives in time for the weekend. I have an event the following weekend to give it a good try out, I'd best order up a spare battery too.
Got mine from there too, ordered Sunday night,(normal decision 11pm on a Sunday, wife went to bed early, she won’t do that again :D) arrived Wednesday, I thought they were epic, emailed me, texted me every step of the way.

I ordered mine from panamoz too.
Ordered on the Monday night and delivered Thursday by ups.

Also I ordered my 200-500 from there. Same thing delivered in 3 days via ups.

You will love the d500. It's a great bit of kit.
I still love my d750 thou.

I'd order a couple of batteries depending on the event. My Nikon original battery took a few charges to be consistent with its performance. I have two compatible battery's from Amazon, an ExPro and a Maximafoto, and they have worked as well as the Nikon original. I got one of each as they were the first D500 compatibles I found, and I wanted to lay off the risk of one or the other not working. And they were half the price of the Nikon original. :) If you buy some compatibles make sure they say they work with the D500.

I would also buy some glass LCD covers too while you wait. Not saying the D500 LCD's are delicate, but the rear one is a tilting touch screen and may be manhandled a bit more than on other cameras. ;)

That said, I did have to have my rear LCD replaced because the camera was in a bag that fell off a table and cracked the screen. :( Before I got the screen protector. :rolleyes: I don't think the protector would have helped, but you never know.

Just looked at the price of the D500 on Panamoz. :eek: Can't believe how much it has come down when the UK price has stayed pretty close to the price at release. :confused:

When I got it it was quite soon after release and it was about £100 cheaper, when there weren't any for at least a month or more in the UK. That saving pretty much paid for 32Gb Lexar XQD and UHS-II SD cards.

Just looked at the price of the D500 on Panamoz. :eek: Can't believe how much it has come down when the UK price has stayed pretty close to the price at release. :confused:

When I got it it was quite soon after release and it was about £100 cheaper, when there weren't any for at least a month or more in the UK. That saving pretty much paid for 32Gb Lexar XQD and UHS-II SD cards.

Scary isn't it, I think I paid around the same for my D750 back in Jan 2015 from Panamoz. I did ask if they could match E-Infinity's even lower price of £995, they couldn't but did drop it £30, which was good I thought. I think I will stick with my regular SD cards for now and see how things go, I really don't use burst mode that much for karting, I just have CL set and shoot when needed, even when there are spills on track that covers the action ok.

This was shot last month in dreadful conditions trackside with my 70-200 VRII, the lad did soak me ! Perhaps with the DX body I can shoot from a drier distance.

Out of control. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Even a pretty fast SD card (around 95Mb/s) should give around a 70 shot buffer.

The fastest cards are seriously impressive though. I have never hit the buffer with either of the fastest XQD and SD card as the buffer is 200. And then you just have to take your finger off the shutter and go again, or so I have seen in review videos. ;) I have no need to prove it for myself, and wear out the shutter. This camera is going to last me a long time, maybe even be my last camera. :)

Forgot to add, nice pic. It does look a touch wet. At least the D500 is good in the wet if you ever have to get so close again. ;)

Last edited:
70 buffer shot is pretty impressive ! I did see one of those review videos last night and I'll probably watch most of them over the coming days. Over the years I have found myself next to Canon shooters at circuits and Airshows that machine gun away like crazy, I just cringe at the thought of sorting through all of those shots ! I'm sure the D500 will last me too and will help to keep the shutter count down on the D750 ;)

I've had two wet race events in a row now, so am hoping for some Autumn sunshine at the next one.....

70 buffer shot is pretty impressive ! I did see one of those review videos last night and I'll probably watch most of them over the coming days. Over the years I have found myself next to Canon shooters at circuits and Airshows that machine gun away like crazy, I just cringe at the thought of sorting through all of those shots ! I'm sure the D500 will last me too and will help to keep the shutter count down on the D750 ;)

I've had two wet race events in a row now, so am hoping for some Autumn sunshine at the next one.....
The 70 shot buffer is pretty impressive, and something some of these new FF mirrorless cameras can only dream of. And that is RAW, AF and exposure at the same time. ;) :LOL: That is why the 200 shot buffer with the fastest cards is still impressive (to me at least) after a couple of years.

As for going through a lot of images, in a sequence there are normally (hopefully ;)) one or two that capture the moment for whatever reason, and so images can just be looked through and marked as keepers quickly, and then the keepers are looked at a bit closely for technical things like being in focus. ;) :LOL:

Great stuff, I'm looking forward to testing that out. thanks also or the heads up on the batteries and screen protector by the way, I missed some replies last night as I was at work.

af is grease lightning
10fps is yehaaaaaa when tracking the red arrows you can pan and do a long burst of say 50 shots and pick the exact moment your after
where your mates are green with envy as they missed the critical moment ;)

I ordered mine from panamoz too.
Ordered on the Monday night and delivered Thursday by ups.

Also I ordered my 200-500 from there. Same thing delivered in 3 days via ups.

You will love the d500. It's a great bit of kit.
I still love my d750 thou.

I’m missing my D750. Not sure the Sony is for me. Have a couple more weeks with it though.

If it doesn’t work out I will be having to choose from another D750 or D500!!

What don’t you like about the Sony ? Or is it just a not gelling thing ?

What don’t you like about the Sony ? Or is it just a not gelling thing ?

Few things, couple of which that can be addressed but at the end of the day - needs to fit with my shooting.

Sometimes when doing a lot of equestrian shooting I use jpeg for ease of editing. Nikon jpegs are just really good, great colours, nice pop. Sony seems quite flat, don't like the colours. I know RAW shooting gets around this - but I don't always want to use RAW.

EVF - IMO it just takes a bit too long to wake up - I missed a shot or 2 the other day as the EVF was just not awake in time. In low light its quality is not great.

Grip is ok, but not quite big enough for all my fingers! Grip would solve this but I shouldn't need to be the solution.

Sometimes rubbing fingers on bigger lenses - gap between grip and lens is not big. Would never be able to wear any sort of gloves.

Miss having a top screen.

And yes - not just gelling yet!

Few things, couple of which that can be addressed but at the end of the day - needs to fit with my shooting.

Sometimes when doing a lot of equestrian shooting I use jpeg for ease of editing. Nikon jpegs are just really good, great colours, nice pop. Sony seems quite flat, don't like the colours. I know RAW shooting gets around this - but I don't always want to use RAW.

EVF - IMO it just takes a bit too long to wake up - I missed a shot or 2 the other day as the EVF was just not awake in time. In low light its quality is not great.

Grip is ok, but not quite big enough for all my fingers! Grip would solve this but I shouldn't need to be the solution.

Sometimes rubbing fingers on bigger lenses - gap between grip and lens is not big. Would never be able to wear any sort of gloves.

Mmmm...D750/500 is calling...

I know someone who does the same as you i.e. equestrian shooting. He also sells prints and he says a lot of times he needs jpgs to produce quick prints to sell. There is just no time to process.

He shoots canon and fuji for this reason i.e. for jpg output. He tried my A7RIII and wasn't sure how well it would work.
Think if you need good out of camera results things are still in favour of canikon and fuji. if you are willing to work with RAWs sony is great.

I know someone who does the same as you i.e. equestrian shooting. He also sells prints and he says a lot of times he needs jpgs to produce quick prints to sell. There is just no time to process.

He shoots canon and fuji for this reason i.e. for jpg output. He tried my A7RIII and wasn't sure how well it would work.
Think if you need good out of camera results things are still in favour of canikon and fuji. if you are willing to work with RAWs sony is great.

I'm going to work with the Sony for a bit and maybe try out a D500 side by side if I can - although for indoor equestrian I think Full Frame is still a better option!

Back