D60 Help!

G

geckogirlxx

Well, I'm off to buy my first DSLR today. I'm just looking at the Jessops site and I've got myself a little confused.

I was at first deciding between the Nikon D40 and the D60, and was advised to get the D60. I found the bundle for what I thought was £379.99 at Jessops but I've just looked again and that appears to be without the VR lens. So, with the VR lens it's now upto £409.99.

Now, is it worth paying the extra for the VR lens or would it be worth totally dropping the D60 idea and 'downsizing' to a D40? Or is the VR lens that important, should I just get the £379 package? I originally planned to get the D40 before changing my mind!

Hope you can help! (y)

VR isn't the be all and end all.. I've got one lens with VR on it, and I hardly ever use it to be honest..

Why not get the D60 body only and get a faster lens from somewhere else?

Have a look at www.camerapricebuster.com for the best prices.

Lens wise, you're slightly restricted by the fact the D60 has no Autofocus motor in the body, so you need a nikon AFS lens, or a Sigma HSM lens to retain autofocus. :)

EDIT: The Nikon D60 + non VR lens: http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon_D60_Lens_Kit_AF-S_18-55mm_pc.html
The Nikon D60 + VR lens: http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Nikon_D60_VR_Lens_Kit_AF-S_18-55mm_VR_pc.html

The VR kit is generally cheaper.

Its not a bad lens, and for near enough the same price, you could buy it, and sell it for something better if its not to your liking.

I've seen the D60 + 18-55 VR kit for under £400 from a few places,with another £60 cashback.

Is it definitely worth going with the D60 over the D40 though? Will it make that much of a difference, I mean if I don't get the VR lens?

See if it's a much better lens (& camera) I'll pay for it, but if there's no real difference I don't want to fork out the extra money :thinking:

Put simply, yes ;)

The D40 has a lower resolution sensor (which is older than the one in the D60), a slightly slower frame rate (2.5fps compared to 3fps on the d60), although a lot of the other features are quite similar.. same amount of AF points etc.

Have you considered a second hand D80? They're going for around the same sort of money with a lens.. more camera, same money :shrug:

Yeah I thought about it, but I'd rather buy new, get the cashback and have a warranty on it, I'd be knackered if I bought it second hand and it broke lol. I'm definitely wanting the D60 I think but just not sure which lens to go for!! Arghh!

The 18-55 VR has improved immensely since the original non-VR ones anyhow.

I am in the EXACT same boat as you!

I graduated on Friday and got a bit of cash so I can put that toward my first D-SLR :).

I am going to be buying the D60 with VR lens today as it works out to be £340 all in from Jessops and that includes a bag. Will be even better if they can price match to warehouse express as it will come down to £320 :D

Thanks people! Ok my mind is officially made up, I will get the D60 with VR lens :D

And Doug that's awesome lol, it's good to know I'm not alone in this confusion!! Can you PM me and let me know if they price match or not please? Congratulations on graduating by the way! (y)

^^ Some Jessops will, some won't, don't take it as Gospel that they will/won't, ask anyway :D

I got £100 off a battery grip a while ago, but another store told me they couldn't offer any discount what so ever ;)

Oooo haha ok I will ask! I hate haggling though... so at least if Doug is successful I could go in tomorrow and say how someone I know got a price match :LOL:

Oh no!! This is just getting too confusing now :( I spoke to Jessops about price matching, they said they can't match internet prices.

But anyway, as you know I'd decided on the D60, I'd been totally won over and my decision was made - now the Jessops guy has advised me that I'd be better off to get a D40 with an extra lens, as it'd still come to around the same price, I'd have an extra lens and he described the D60's extra features as being nothing more than just 'gimmicky'.

I'm getting concerned about the conflicting advice now, I really don't want to get the D40 and be totally disappointed with it and wishing I'd got the better model... but then I don't want to get the D60 and think 'I'm sure the D40 was just as good'.

:shake: STRESS! :shake:

The D60 is very nice, I shot this whole series with one:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=164709

You could have done that with a D40 too. The D40 is an excellent camera and its got EXCELLENT high ISO performance. Do you plan to shoot in low light? In that case the D40 might be a better choice, although I would always dis-trust a sales mens motivations tbh!

D60 gimmicky? Well in a way a lot of the features are. All you need on any camera is "A" mode and a shutter button. How the the picture comes out is down to the light, the composition and the photographer. The camera doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Personally I would still persue the D60 because with the cashback deal and the excellent little 18-55 VR lens, I think you will be very happy.

HTH

If you crop a lot and don't care about performance at ISO 1600 much, go for the D60
If you don't crop at all or occasionally and you'd appreciate better ISO 1600, grab the D40.

The D60 "Features automatic defeat via Eye Sensor", meaning the LCD should turn off if you put your eye to the viewfinder, which some could appreciate.

I'd go with the VR lenses, if you can.

Personally I would still persue the D60 because with the cashback deal and the excellent little 18-55 VR lens, I think you will be very happy.

Thankyou very much, you've put me back on track :D

Stunning pictures by the way, I love them!

I am in the EXACT same boat as you!

I graduated on Friday and got a bit of cash so I can put that toward my first D-SLR :).

I am going to be buying the D60 with VR lens today as it works out to be £340 all in from Jessops and that includes a bag. Will be even better if they can price match to warehouse express as it will come down to £320 :D

Man with a spade - up for a little meet then buddy with the good old Motor cars? (y)

If you crop a lot and don't care about performance at ISO 1600 much, go for the D60
If you don't crop at all or occasionally and you'd appreciate better ISO 1600, grab the D40.

The D60 "Features automatic defeat via Eye Sensor", meaning the LCD should turn off if you put your eye to the viewfinder, which some could appreciate.

I'd go with the VR lenses, if you can.

Thanks! I'm thinking D60 again now. About the ISO 1600 - I assume this relates to low light after what puddleduck said... the only times I can think that I will be shooting in low light is if my boyfriend's band are playing a gig in a venue with rubbish lighting (and most of the venues do have rubbish lighting lol). I think I could overcome that with a D60 though, couldn't I?

I bought my first DSLR a little while back, and had the same dilema. I went for the D40 and used the price difference to put towards lenses. I haven't regretted it at all.

There are a few things I would consider changing about the D40 spec:

Exposure bracketing - neither the D40 or D60 offers this though. Good in a way as it forces you to pay attention to your exposures rather than taking the easy option. I believe the D60 has white balence bracketing though - but I doubt I would use it much, if at all.

No body-mounted AF motor - same for the D60 though! Restricted to AF-S and AF-I lenses with both cameras.

More autofocus points - both only have 3 anyway.

More mega-pixels - to be honest, the biggest my pictures are ever going to get is when viewed on my monitor, and the D40's resolution is fine.

I'd be interested in what people specifically believe justifies the price difference between the two. Personally I decided that I'd get far more lens for the £100 difference than I would camera.

Also, if you haven't seen this page yet, it's worth a read. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm I know opinions on the chap vary wildly, but it's at least a viewpoint to consider.

Man with a spade - up for a little meet then buddy with the good old Motor cars? (y)

I think it would be rude not too....

:D

Im actually just about to head off to Jessops now to see what they can do, if they dont price match to warehouse express then its not the end of the world as its only £20 and im getting a free bag anyway. If they wont price match then I will see about them throwing in a memory card with the bundle to even it up abit.

If I am shooting in RAW with Jpeg aswell what sort of size card should I be looking to get?

Ahhhhh bugger just thought I would check opening times on the site and they close at 5:30.....

I shall try again tomorrow :D

I think I could overcome that with a D60 though, couldn't I?

Maybe, you'll see. It can also be important for sport shots or any fast shutter speed photography where flash can't be used.

If you haven't looked into my 'Camera bag', I have a D50, which has similar high ISO capabilities than the D40. I'm a raw shooter, though.
If you'll convert your shots in Nikon ViewNX (I'm already presuming you'll become a raw shooter), ISO 1600 shots should look at least acceptable.

Can i ask why you would go for the D60 over the D80 :shrug:, you can get a brand new D80 body HERE for £450 new with a free 3 year warranty or HERE for £400, a much better camera i reckon, and as i mentioned before works with lenses without built in motors.

I think it would be rude not too....

If I am shooting in RAW with Jpeg aswell what sort of size card should I be looking to get?

Try for a 4gb one, something like a Sandisk Extreme III would be a good move, but if you dont get it thrown in, it would be cheaper just about anywhere else.
Allan

Can i ask why you would go for the D60 over the D80 :shrug:, you can get a brand new D80 body HERE for £450 new with a free 3 year warranty or HERE for £400, a much better camera i reckon, and as i mentioned before works with lenses without built in motors.

Because I've just finished university, I'm short of money and I want to be able to get everything I need to get going with the money I have. A body alone is no use for me, I want a lens, bag, memory cards etc. However if you're offering to pay... ;)

Because I've just finished university, I'm short of money and I want to be able to get everything I need to get going with the money I have. A body alone is no use for me, I want a lens, bag, memory cards etc. However if you're offering to pay... ;)

OK point taken, i actually thought the D60 was more expensive than what it is, sorry not offering to pay either, saving for a new lens :p

OK point taken, i actually thought the D60 was more expensive than what it is, sorry not offering to pay either, saving for a new lens :p

You mean you'd pay if you weren't saving yourself?

This thread is getting better by the hour ;)

check the jessops website before going into a store and buying, when I bought my D300 it was £1299 in the shop, but £1045 online......

I picked mine up today and the Jessops branch in Wrexham DID price match to Warehouse express.

After rebate it cost me £320 and that included a camera bag and £10 worth of free developing :D

I also bought a UV Filter to protect the lens.

Big mate – ive a 2gb card – 1000 jpeg shots or 250 RAW from memory

D80 with 2Gb sd card RAW+JPEG fine, large file size = 109 photos

D300 with 4Gb card RAW+JPEG fine, large file size = 145 photos

I picked mine up today and the Jessops branch in Wrexham DID price match to Warehouse express.

After rebate it cost me £320 and that included a camera bag and £10 worth of free developing :D

I also bought a UV Filter to protect the lens.

good buy

front-view-low_~273401SDC.jpg

(man with a spade - Doug) (y)

let me know when your free ;)

But anyway, as you know I'd decided on the D60, I'd been totally won over and my decision was made - now the Jessops guy has advised me that I'd be better off to get a D40 with an extra lens, as it'd still come to around the same price, I'd have an extra lens and he described the D60's extra features as being nothing more than just 'gimmicky'.

:shake: STRESS! :shake:

Sounds like that branch of Jessops is stuck with an old stock D40 that they're desperate to shift.

To be honest, if they're giving you that sort of advice, I would go to a different branch (or even chain...)

Back