D600 - £2000!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Massively disappointed. All the rumours were this was due to come in at around £1000. It's been announced this morning with a price of £1995. Surely for that you'd get a D800?

So much for me taking the plunge for full frame and switching to Nikon. May as well get a 2nd hand 5D mk2 and not have the hassle of selling glass. Or if I do switch, the D700 for me.

£1000?? That was always wishful thinking..
People were hoping more for like £1500.
D700 was priced aroumd£1900 at start as well.

Where did you get the uk price from? Dollar ($2100) to pound makes this around £1300 (probably plus VAT). Wasn't the D200 and D300 around this price when new? Sounds cheap to me.

Where did you get the uk price from? Dollar ($2100) to pound makes this around £1300 (probably plus VAT). Wasn't the D200 and D300 around this price when new? Sounds cheap to me.

Every were is quoting around 2k WEX have it at £1955 for pre-order. 5.5 fps is to slow for me I will be keeping my D700.

Last edited:

If you look on Amazon UK and the equivalent USA site you will see than the Dollar price and the Sterling price are almost the same, at around 2000. With an exchange rate of $1.6 to £1 it seems to be the case that we in the UK have to pay a lot more for this product (roughly 50% more) than our transatlantic cousins, even allowing for VAT in the equation :crying:
At £1500 I was interested but not willing to pay £2000 for what is obviously a £1300 camera.

You have to assume it will drop fairly quickly to the 'true' price of around £1500.

If its launch 2k it'll soon drop to 1.5k, 1k is wishful thinking, it's not APSC.

gunther1966 said:
If you look on Amazon UK and the equivalent USA site you will see than the Dollar price and the Sterling price are almost the same, at around 2000. With an exchange rate of $1.6 to £1 it seems to be the case that we in the UK have to pay a lot more for this product (roughly 50% more) than our transatlantic cousins, even allowing for VAT in the equation :crying:
At £1500 I was interested but not willing to pay £2000 for what is obviously a £1300 camera.

£1499 at introduction and £1299 soon after, is a much more reasonable price. Meh, Im not about to change my camera just yet but ey Nikon, you are playing games the people that buy your stuff.

ernesto said:
You have to assume it will drop fairly quickly to the 'true' price of around £1500.

Plus 1, far too many options right now when looking at cameras and systems. I was asked to shoot two weddings this summer and It's still a hobby for me so no intention of doing so. But next summer if I have to drop some serious money I will be checking all available options.

Who else offers a brand new full frame camera for even 1.5k. I think it's a pretty good deal.

Looks like a good camera on Nikon UK site but glad I didn't hold off buying a replacement for my D300 if its approx £2k at launch.

I was going to buy one of these as a second camera but that price is nuts! The D700 I bought was a bargain at 1200.looks like the hunt for a different camera is on lol

It's an old camera now with even older af system, this is current generation ;)

Raymond Lin said:
Canon has been selling the 5Dmk2 new for that much over 6 months now :p

Exactly, milking time was one year ago before even the D800 launch. Now they are playing with everyone else as well as the older models.

ian-83 said:
Looks like a good camera on Nikon UK site but glad I didn't hold off buying a replacement for my D300 if its approx £2k at launch.

Nudge, nudge. ;)

Well, whatever it is, they've either killed it off at the start or killed off the D800 in the long run.

At the launch price it's not going to sell many with the D800 10% more.

If it settles down to £700 less than the D800 then the D800 will take a hit. Unless you really want that 36mp sensor, why would ou buy it?

I don't really get the D600.

I can see there would be a market for a cheaper, lighter full frame body and this will drop like a stone in price but it has too many negatives for me.

It's slow only 5.5 fps and It has the same dodgy focus system from the d7k.

Everything about this body apart from the resolution and the extra card slot appears to be a major downgrade from the D700. I guess the D800 was the D700 replacement after all.

If they had doubled up the resolution on the D700, added an extra card slot and added the option to switch to auto ISO from the control wheel and I would have bought one.

I think I made the right decision in not holding of to get one of these and am glad I got my D700 while I still could. Nikon have really limited the range if you need a fast body with the D4 really being the only new option.

People will buy it, simply because some people must have the latest gear.

OH NOES @ the D7k's 2,016 pixel metering system on board!

Raymond Lin said:
Well, whatever it is, they've either killed it off at the start or killed off the D800 in the long run.

At the launch price it's not going to sell many with the D800 10% more.

If it settles down to £700 less than the D800 then the D800 will take a hit. Unless you really want that 36mp sensor, why would ou buy it?

Yeah I'm waiting for Nikons marketing message too.

They would have been far better making this a pro sized D300 upgrade.

5.5fps is slow now?

The only faster FF camera is the D4, 1Dx and 5Dmk3 and that's at 6fps.

Discounting the D4 and 1Dx (not exactly fair), 5.5fps is bang on the money.

Think 36mp at 4fps for D800
Think 23mp at 6fps for 5dmk3

24mp at 5.5fps sounds spot on?

Who else offers a brand new full frame camera for even 1.5k. I think it's a pretty good deal.

I think it's just people have been building their hopes up as it was billed on rumour sites (key is the word 'rumour') as an 'entry level FX' (lol) so a lot might have been under the impression they were getting a cheap entry into the world of FX (well, cheaper than it currently is anyway)....and read it as a sub 1k body:D

For me, i'll stick with DX for a bit yet and maybe pick up a D700 for my next camera once the prices change now....will look again when the time comes and weigh it up.

The23rdman said:
They would have been far better making this a pro sized D300 upgrade.

Yep, I would have loved an excuse to buy the Sigma 50-150 OS lens and perish the thought of FX for a while longer. I'm glad I've been on holiday for 5 months with my D7000 instead. 5000 plus shots and counting. Still at a minus 5% satisfaction rate though, don't think FX will make me any better.

If anything I'd imagine d700 prices will stay the same for quite a while as they are such excellent value and only really dropped because of the d600 rumours, people who know will just buy a good used d700 instead.

5.5fps is slow now?

If they want to justify 2k for a d7k with an fx sensor and a bump in resolution they really needed to offer more even the d300 will do 8 fps with a grip as will the d700.

5.5fps is slow now?

I was thinking the same?

twist said:
If anything I'd imagine d700 prices will stay the same for quite a while as they are such excellent value and only really dropped because of the d600 rumours, people who know will just buy a good used d700 instead.

Which is a shame because I sold mine expecting to buy another in a few months at a killing.

The23rdman said:
Which is a shame because I sold mine expecting to buy another in a few months at a killing.

I bought my D700 for 1199 brand new! Looking back I'm very happy I decided to buy it as the D600 was what I was initially holding out for.

5.5fps is slow now?

was thinking the same myself, my D300s i would consider to be a fast camera @ 6fps, i doubt i would notice the 0.5 fps difference...

Has anybody seen a picture of the rear controls, does it have an af-on button?

Has anybody seen a picture of the rear controls, does it have an af-on button?

There is a rolling advert on Nikon's homepage, one part of which has a rear view of the camera. It moves realtively quickly if you want to have a look!

Anyone know which sensor this is and what it's high ISO performance is likely to be like ?

Back