D700 Focusing

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
I just switched to Nikon, and have been using my new D700 for a couple days now...

My main question is what it means when the focusing blinks with black squares vs red squares. I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

I just switched to Nikon, and have been using my new D700 for a couple days now...

My main question is what it means when the focusing blinks with black squares vs red squares. I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

Do you mean that one of/some of the focus point(s) in the viewfinder are showing red but all the others are black?

Do you mean that one of/some of the focus point(s) in the viewfinder are showing red but all the others are black?

No, sometimes the focus points show up as black squares, and other times red squares (when I'm trying to focus on something).

I'm just curious as to what the difference is between them... does black mean it's not focusing as clearly as it can? And red maybe means that it's getting perfect focus? *shrug*

They come up red generally in low-light or when you have a low contrast object in the scene near your focus point.

Its just a visual cue, and nothing to do with focus accuracy.

No, sometimes the focus points show up as black squares, and other times red squares (when I'm trying to focus on something).

I'm just curious as to what the difference is between them... does black mean it's not focusing as clearly as it can? And red maybe means that it's getting perfect focus? *shrug*

No - it displays as red or black depending on which it thinks will be easier for you to see. Its a setting you can change in the camera - on the D300 its A6 : AF Point Illumination. Have a looksie in the manual and should tell you in there :)

I noticed this today. I thought the thing wasn't working. "Flash red damn it! Is it focused?" Kinda clever but coming from Canon where it flashes red on focus lock I was confused.

Back