D700 - hands up who has pre-ordered?

Name
Andy Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
I have - should be shipping this week (if not today...)

Anyone else?

I have - should be shipping this week (if not today...)

Anyone else?

Hope you've got some good glass to go with it :naughty:

Seriously, I hope it's as good as it promises to be. Let us know how it performs!

I'm sorted for lenses. Apparently in the USA some retailers are bundling it with the 24-120 VR. :puke:

Thats like putting tractor tyres on a Ferrari :bang:

Can't wait to try my 14-24 its its full glory :)

What are the prices like in the UK?

I casually asked a shop yesterday outta curiosity, they quoted me £1900 :cautious:

UK prices are insane as usual, with Nikon's currency converter broken (again).

Ive just got a ten grand loan to start my new business-but I wouldnt waste my money on it. Gets a bit silly if you buy the latest camera every year-nice if your rich-but maybe a bit over zealous. I mean I just had to have the d300 when it came out and within about 5 months it was £300 cheaper.

Mine only has about 2000 or so frames used so im gonna keep it until the d3 is about 2000 or something and then have it as a backup-myd300 i mean lol

My order is confirmed and I've just paid for it.

UK retailers will be sending them out Friday for a Monday delivery :)

(saturday delivery if you are lucky!)

I will offer to swap for TWO, yes TWO, victoria sponges and a nice cup of coffee and I'll even come and pick it up from you to save you having to bother. Can't say fairer than that now can I? (y)

Andy

LOL, you are appealing to my sweet tooth! Its getting tempting :)

Mine's being sent by Parcelforce and I gave my work address thinking it would arrive Monday.

But Parcelforce often delivery saturday, so if I'd given my Home address I'd have it tomorrow..

Aargh... I'm tempted to cycle over to work Saturday to intercept the driver...!:LOL::D:nuts:

I will offer to swap for TWO, yes TWO, victoria sponges and a nice cup of coffee and I'll even come and pick it up from you to save you having to bother. Can't say fairer than that now can I? (y)

Andy

Don't you just hate it when someone swoops in at the last minute and outbids you! :LOL:(y)

Not a bad deal, could sell the grip for £150, and the lens for £200.

The camera market is getting as ridiculus as every other market,i mean come on,their ripping us off left right and center ,new models out within a year of each other.I bought my camera not even a year ago for nigh on £400 now it's worthless . Example ... Pentax K100D to (K200D bar a few tweeks it's a K10))= RIP OFF!!!!! thats just one of many examples.Yeh i'm a sucker for shinny and new, no more!! .Rant over :D

i mean come on,their ripping us off left right and center ,new models out within a year of each other.

Well I didn't like the D300 that much and the D3 was too big.

So, I skipped that "upgrade" cycle, and I waited for a smaller FF and its just what I wanted. Only had to wait 7 months too :)

I don't feel "ripped off" at all - and remember no one forces you to "upgrade" a camera.

I'd be peed off if I'd bought a D300 or D3 mind :)

.I bought my camera not even a year ago for nigh on £400 now it's worthless

How it is worthless? It still takes pictures. It still does the job you bought it for.

You only lose money if you sell it. Answer - don't sell it, and don't get caught up in "upgrade" hype :)

Do you also go and buy a new car when they facelift the model you have, or buy a new washing machine because they've changed the shape of the buttons?

I think people need to take stock of why they bought their camera in the first place...

I'll be upgrading my D300 to a D700 soon enough, it means I then have 2 full frame high ISO cameras. But I have considered a second D3 instead since the price difference isn't huge.

Well I didn't like the D300 much due to its low ISO quality (or lack off!) and the D3 was too big.

Your reasons for not liking the D300 are probably the same as mine, the images look digital when compared to the D3.

I'd be peed off if I'd bought a D300 or D3 mind :)

I have one of each, and I'm not peed off. I needed a second camera, so I bought a tool for the job that was available at the time. Technology moves on and new versions that are better are always released in the cycles we are seeing. It's a fact of the digital world.

Your reasons for not liking the D300 are probably the same as mine, the images look digital when compared to the D3.

I just don't like the results. Low ISO is noisey, I'm not keen on the look (CMOS?), metering is worse than the D200, ISO100 is worse than the D200.

I shot most of November 2007 with an S5 Pro and a D2X and D300.. and the D300 just didn't float my boat.

I know a few of us feel the same way. You need to shoot a couple of bodies side by side to see it I think. I might pick up a used D300 to see if I still feel the same way vs the D700?

Ditto. I reckon the D2X AF is better too, more "snappy" and the cross hairs throughout the VF are superb.

Wish the newer Nikon's still had this more distributed AF layout.

Not so sure about the AF. I've never had much of an issue with it, although in low light I think it would be a close call between the D3 and D2x, with the D2x maybe having a tiny edge, but then the image in the very low light I'm talking about would have been crap on the D2x. But the D300 isn't as good in lowlight imo.

What's making me consider another D3 over a D700 is the size. I like having the grip as I find the camera more comfortable. But even the D300 is larger than the D3 with the grip attached, and the D700 is slightly bigger.

Mine's being sent by Parcelforce and I gave my work address thinking it would arrive Monday.

But Parcelforce often delivery saturday, so if I'd given my Home address I'd have it tomorrow..

Aargh... I'm tempted to cycle over to work Saturday to intercept the driver...!:LOL::D:nuts:

Did you get the camera today?

Just seen Warehouse Express have already taken £60 off the D700. Will be interest also in the reviews from both TP members and mags.

Got mine today.

Well had a quick pootle around Cambridge in fading light - Bit of a shock coming from the S5 Pro. Where's my DR gone? Easily a stop worse. Got used to not having to worry about highlights!

Very pleased with the camera - although right now I do prefer what the S5 Pro puts out OOC for DR (especially) and colours. Will roll my own picture control no doubt.

Back