D700 or D600

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Following on from the thread where I asked about whether I should upgrade. I don't want to spend more than 1000 euro on the camera body. I can't afford to. I see D700 for as little as 700 euro. The D600 is a bit more. Not sure about the D610. I am inclined towards the D700. What do you guys think? Again I shoot mostly outdoor and natural light portraiture.

I also realise that the D7100 would be cheaper again, I see ones for around 650, and I hear it is a really good camera so if I do decide not to go with ff it is the obvious choice.

Hi

Following on from the thread where I asked about whether I should upgrade. I don't want to spend more than 1000 euro on the camera body. I can't afford to. I see D700 for as little as 700 euro. The D600 is a bit more. Not sure about the D610. I am inclined towards the D700. What do you guys think? Again I shoot mostly outdoor and natural light portraiture.

I also realise that the D7100 would be cheaper again, I see ones for around 650, and I hear it is a really good camera so if I do decide not to go with ff it is the obvious choice.

i'd look at the d610 over the d600 as there was a problem with oil spots leaking on the sensor of the d600.

the d700 is a great camera - big and heavy though compared to the d610. the d610 has twice the resolution. d610 takes 2 sd cards, the d700 takes a cf card.
both cameras will be excellent for portraiture and i doubt you would be unhappy with either. a friend of mine has a d700 and the images it renders are lovely. i myself had a d610 and really enjoyed it.

if it we me id probably get the d610 -smaller with more resolution. id look at spec of both and decide on what features are more important to you.

D700 is a very capable camera, D3 in miniature and in its day possibly the most popular pro FX body.
Don't get a D7100 at 650 when you can get a D7200 at or near that ... D600/D610 seems to me to be a bit of a Nikon compromise :)

Do you need a camera body now, if now save up or keep an eye out for a used D750 if you want to go FF or as suggested above d610/D7200. Don't get the d600 due to the oil on the sensor issue.

I had the same conundrum, I ended up with 2 D700s. The two were so closely matched in my mind that in the end it pretty much just came down to the fact that I had just spent a couple of hundred pounds on EN-EL3E batteries and compact flash cards for my D300 that i went with D700. There were plus and negatives to both, but both will serve your purposes well I should think :)

What camera/system are you coming from? Which lenses do you currently have or looking at buying?

I had the same conundrum, I ended up with 2 D700s. The two were so closely matched in my mind that in the end it pretty much just came down to the fact that I had just spent a couple of hundred pounds on EN-EL3E batteries and compact flash cards for my D300 that i went with D700. There were plus and negatives to both, but both will serve your purposes well I should think :)

What camera/system are you coming from? Which lenses do you currently have or looking at buying?

I wonder what percentage of the D600s have oil issues. since i am buying it secondhand and it will be over a certain point in its shutter life, anyway. Not a huge fan of CF cards. Maybe it is irrational :) I have a D90, 50mm and 85mm lenses. I also have a siggy 17-50 dx lens. I am now leaning towards a D7100 again. maybe that first and then after a while get a d700 or d600....

I am still a fan of the D700, super camera though sensor wise the D600+ will be superior . All depends what you want though the D700 has superior controls and build (and AF)

Forget the D7100, I had one and it was the worst Nikon I ever bought. Beyond ISO 400 things start to get soft, become overly brown/orange - the DR was still better than D700 below ISO 800 but the IQ and sharpness certainly wasn't unless you want pics that are the size of a beer mat. I found the D7100 AF was very hit and miss with moving subjects and D700 destroys it in every department apart from image sizes and rear LCD screen display.

I have a D750 and D700 - I rarely use the D700 nowadays because of the weight, but IQ wise it's still top notch and produces a lovely WB and nice contrasts that even D750 cannot match. For portraits the D700 is still my favourite cam as it still produces the nicest looking skin tones and doesn't seem to over saturate yellows and oranges like D750 does.

I've tried a D600 but the AF put me off as I found it hunted far more easily than I liked. D600 will likely beat the D700 in sensor IQ but for overall performance and reliability the D700 is still the winner. Handling wise D700 is heavy, shutter is noisy (but feels solid), all the buttons are where you want them and it has the nicer pro rounded eye piece for the viewfinder.

Most importantly the thing I like about the D700 is it's bullet proof reliability - never had any card issues at all (unlike D7100 & D750), camera has never locked up (unlike D7100, D750 & even D4) and it just delivers. It's a cam I know I can always revert to when my D750 and even D4 let me down which is why I will never part with the mine.

For me the D700 is the best bargain second Nikon FF camera and given the choice over D600 I'd pick D700.

Last edited:
Got a D700 recently and am very pleased with the build, switchery/UI and, especially, the IQ. The images look terrific - I've only shot people - and, dare I say it, special.
But it is heavy and bulky. Then again I couldn't get a D7000 in my pocket either!

Back