D700 quick first impression

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
It's lush! :D

Came home to a D700 and 70-200mm VRII to play with and having figured out that the thread is reversed managed to attach the lens without any mucking about!

First impression is that it feels like a little lump of granite in the hand. It's solid and even a little weighty in comparison to the 5D but it has a solidity about it that is reassuring.

It's certainly going to be a little while before I get used to the controls! ISO and quality seem quite logical and it's great having the focus button on the back as well as the half press shutter. It's a little bit of a stretch with the left thumb onto this control but I should be fine with it given a little practice :)

WB seems to be logically grouped with the ISO and Quality buttons and it's taking a little time to remap the brain on that one, probably because the 5D and 1Ds are both different too so this is the third incarnation for me on the location of that function. Loving the custom white balance from an existing pic, that's going to be so useful especially in a church. Set it up and just shoot and they should all be spot on and little or no PP. Perfect.

Metering and AF controls all on those little toggle switches means no diving around in menus although the Canons are not bad for that at all, usually one button press and a wheel spin was all it took to change. The Nikon is easier to see on picking it up though, it's all obvious.

The screen is a delight and I need to dive into the books to find out how to activate the rear button 100% zoom that Simon showed me, that's useful.

The viewfinder is not quite 100% but it's not at all obvious and certainly won't prove to be a problem at all.

The only glitch thus far has been in trying to use the command dials. The rear one is fine and I'm even getting used to it being the shutter speed! Unfortunately on trying to use the front sub command dial I managed to switch the camera off.............twice :help:

Just been playing around the house shooting lamps and bits of the TV because that's all the light there is right now but you can bet I'll be bouncing out of bed in the morning to get some practice in!

Once I get to grips with the basics I'll be starting to delve into some of the things like shooting banks. Now that's a really useful feature. If you think of a typical wedding I can set banks for indoors in a church, outdoor group shots and first dance so all I should need to do is a bit of fine tuning :)

Overall, so far, it's a winner and that 70-200mm is the dogs danglies! :D

For the 100% zoom you need custom setting menu - F. controls - multi selector center button - playback mode - zoom on/off then chose you level of magnification. I prefer medium.

Good to hear you are getting on well with it. I will be looking forward to your future use with it, as I'm using Canon at the moment and couldn't even think about changing but so many people are doing it and it's looking more reassuring

The only glitch thus far has been in trying to use the command dials. The rear one is fine and I'm even getting used to it being the shutter speed! Unfortunately on trying to use the front sub command dial I managed to switch the camera off.............twice :help:

I find that I leave index finger over the shutter button all the time and use my middle finger for that command wheel. Doing so gives me more control and avoids making that mistake.

Very jealous of the D700, not sure the budget would stretch at the moment though!

Hmm, she's not been online since the post hmmm I wonder why :p

agree on the command wheels, they're not quite in the right position, I do think canon has that worked out better with the rear command dial :) On the D3 you can change the main and sub dials by using one of the custom functions. :)

The rest of the buttons are okay, just remembering which one does what sometimes, the AF area and metering options look too similar.

Got to agree about the 70-200 as well, absolutely awesome glass, as is the 24-70 ;)

lol, sorry been taking more pics of lamps! :)

Thanks for the instruction on how to set the centre button :)

I bought the book "Mastering the D700" so now I have one I can start working my way through it. It will take a while but I have found from previous experience that you can't beat working through a book like that and considering every little detail. That way I should get the camera I want out of it :)

I did briefly try the 14-24 but the whippet stuck her snout in it and got dog slobber all over it! :puke:

For the 100% zoom you need custom setting menu - F. controls - multi selector center button - playback mode - zoom on/off then chose you level of magnification. I prefer medium.

Spot on - medium is certaily best :)

Two things I didn't like.

1. The exposure meter is totally the wrong way round - fortunately this can be changed.

2. The ISO button is on the wrong side of the cam and can't be changed without taking the cam from your face. Fortunately auto ISO is so good that it's rarely a problem.

Glad all's going well Ali. Just get your dog off my lens :D

Job number two will have to be that exposure meter then! It's doing my head in! ;)

And sorry about the dog! They got a bit nosey because it's new stuff in the house but I could have done without dog slobber as I squealed "That's got nanocrystals and everything!" ;)

Two things I didn't like.

1. The exposure meter is totally the wrong way round - fortunately this can be changed.

2. The ISO button is on the wrong side of the cam and can't be changed without taking the cam from your face. Fortunately auto ISO is so good that it's rarely a problem.

Glad all's going well Ali. Just get your dog off my lens :D

Isn't it like the D300? Left hand, press ISO button, and look at the ISO counter in the VF?

Ryan, how do I switch the exposure meter round? I've had a look at my book and it's not for telling. I can live with it but I much prefer +ve to be to the right.

:woot: sounds like someone is having fun!!! Also sounds like you are going to have no trouble adapting to th enew equipment Ali, have fun.

so, now having got my hands on mine too, a quick review from an existing Nikon user to see how they compare to a newbie darksider ;)

I have stuck the sigma 24-70 on it, [yes that'd be sigma, not Nikon] and the speed of autofocus is shockingly quick compared to the D300 with same lens. :eek: It is noticably heavier but not significantly larger, so unlike those 'incomers' that are still adapting, all the dials and buttons are still perfectly located for my small, Nikon trained hands.

I am amused by the very cute addition of built-in view finder cover, reminds me of those early P&S digital cameras where you had to open the lens cover manually.

Ryan, as much as I would prefer the ISO and WB buttons to be swapped, I can still adjust iso using my left forefinger without taking camera from face....so I have to assume you are a typical fella and cant find anything in the dark :whistle: :p

Sorry mate, couldnt resist that one ;)

Anyway, so far, so massively impressed, and I too have several shots of lamps, wooden furniture, jackrussels and even the TV :D

Anyway, so far, so massively impressed, and I too have several shots of lamps, wooden furniture, jackrussels and even the TV :D

lol sounds scarily similar, my Jack Russell was upside down having consumed his bodyweight in curry! :D

Glad to hear you are liking it too Yv, bring on daylight! (y)

My head hurts :eek: and it's not just the Shiraz !!! I've been reading like a man possessed since I got in from the gym.

I am following Uncle Ken's suggestions for now until Mastering the D700 arrives tomorrow. (Thanks Ali, you've cost me a few quid this week :LOL:)

Have changed the exposure meter so that increase in exposure goes to the right, which makes much more sense. I don't think I could change this on the D90 but I would need to check to be 100% certain.

Loving the four shooting banks (A,B,C & D) so that you can make specific settings for given situations, tripod / landscape work, walkabout, interior hand held & studio (just four example I've made up). The only (well not the only) one so far that seems strange is that within the Custom setting menu there are also four customisable banks, and guess what, they are Called A,B,C & D which could get confusing. :help:

It's so customisable it's truly nuts and I can now see why it is three times the price of the D90 ... Still :love: the dinky D90 though.

Final think, full size viewfinder .... Sweeeeeeeet :banana::banana::banana:

Exposure meter ... Menu F12 . reverse indicators !!! I'm such a geek !!!

Edited to say D90 does allow reversible exposure indicator, doesn't matter I think it may now gather dust until i sell it !!!

lol sounds scarily similar, my Jack Russell was upside down having consumed his bodyweight in curry! :D

Glad to hear you are liking it too Yv, bring on daylight! (y)

Oh YES... we might have to have a drive to the Midlands tomorrow so Yves Geza can get a special new toy of his own, so a few travel shots and ful frame goodness landscapes are in the offing if all goes to plan :D

Simon, welcome to big Nikon world too. I dont generally use the custom menu banks for preset shooting situations, but I do find using 'My Menu' for favourite stuff brilliant. Commander mode for Off camera flash settings is already on there, and a couple more will be going on shortly. (y)

lol, sorry been taking more pics of lamps! :)

Thanks for the instruction on how to set the centre button :)

I bought the book "Mastering the D700" so now I have one I can start working my way through it. It will take a while but I have found from previous experience that you can't beat working through a book like that and considering every little detail. That way I should get the camera I want out of it :)

I did briefly try the 14-24 but the whippet stuck her snout in it and got dog slobber all over it! :puke:

Who is the author of that book please, Alison?

Exposure meter ... Menu F12 . reverse indicators !!! I'm such a geek !!!

Edited to say D90 does allow reversible exposure indicator, doesn't matter I think it may now gather dust until i sell it !!!

Well done Simon - you beat me to it.

Hope that helps Ali (sorry for being so slow)

Ryan, as much as I would prefer the ISO and WB buttons to be swapped, I can still adjust iso using my left forefinger without taking camera from face....so I have to assume you are a typical fella and cant find anything in the dark :whistle: :p

Sorry mate, couldnt resist that one ;):D

spot on Yv - you got me in one :D. In fact it's not just the dark that causes problems :LOL:

Glad to see my two cohorts in temporary insanity are doing well :)

Thanks Ryan, no worries mate, people do have a life I know! lol

The book is by Darrell Young and James Johnson Dougie. Now it's daylight (and a lovely day too) I've popped the battery back on to top up but just been taking pics of the dogs in the front room. What a difference!

I always felt that there was an inherent softness about my natural lighting shots.....not this morning. Taking pics of my whippet and simply increased the ISO till I got 1/100 sec and it absolutely tack sharp. Having that ability to raise the ISO to get to those speeds was what I wanted from this rather large exercise and so far I have to say I am delighted that it appears to be everything I wanted :)

i used ken rockwells online guide as a start to settings
i change iso very quickly in my menus
in the dark i had adjusted quality rather than iso so dont use those buttons unless its clear to see
same with live view i assingned the front button as its easier than the dial and quicker

Morning straycat, I was reading uncle Ken last week too :)

Thanks for the link too, it actually shows up well just how versatile this camera is that it will do everything from the wedding/portrait stuff that I shoot most of and yet is still capable of a decent performance for sports. Truly amazing! :)

Now it's daylight (and a lovely day too) I've popped the battery back on to top up but just been taking pics of the dogs in the front room. What a difference!

:)

awwww... come on... don't tell me you didn't get on TP till 9.30.. you must have been up since 5am chomping at the bit!!

did you read that about nikon recalling all their D700's due to a fault in the layout of the buttons? :naughty:

Leigh, I didn't get up till 9! :)

Managed to turn the exposure meter round now so thanks Simon :) That does look much better!

Also loving the fact that I can copy all the settings off one D700 to another and somehow I think that's going to be pretty handy :)

Sounds like you're all enjoying your lush new toys!! (y)

One tip I found really useful, was to enable playback control on the scroll wheels. This way you can scroll quickly through the images on your card using the rear wheel, and the front wheel toggles the different views: "full screen, full screen with blinkies, and thumbnail with histogram" etc. I found it much easier than using the pad on the rear when reviewing images on the card.

Easy to turn on too: Custom setting f9, "Customise command dials", then set "Menus and playback" to "ON". :D

Have fun!

Sounds like you're all enjoying your lush new toys!! (y)

One tip I found really useful, was to enable playback control on the scroll wheels. This way you can scroll quickly through the images on your card using the rear wheel, and the front wheel toggles the different views: "full screen, full screen with blinkies, and thumbnail with histogram" etc. I found it much easier than using the pad on the rear when reviewing images on the card.

Easy to turn on too: Custom setting f9, "Customise command dials", then set "Menus and playback" to "ON". :D

Have fun!

Now THAT is a tip I may well use because so far the only thing I don't like is the rear pad button thing, it feels horrible compared to those on the D70s/D300, but not sure if its an unfamiliarity thing or not. :thinking:

I was just about to add a post saying, "I don't use custom menus" as I'm quite happy with the way Nikon made it. Everything seems to suit me perfectly, (which either means I'm odd, or in fact perfect:)), but having just read:

Now that is a good idea! Cheers Ian(y)

Now THAT is a tip I may well use because so far the only thing I don't like is the rear pad button thing, it feels horrible compared to those on the D70s/D300, but not sure if its an unfamiliarity thing or not. :thinking:

I've never been a big fan of the rear pad thing either Yv - the scroll wheel mod was a revelation to me! :love:

I was just about to add a post saying, "I don't use custom menus" as I'm quite happy with the way Nikon made it. Everything seems to suit me perfectly, (which either means I'm odd, or in fact perfect:)), but having just read:

Now that is a good idea! Cheers Ian(y)

Pleasure mate. ;)

:wave: Have fun! :D

First shots out of mine. Ok not the best pics I've ever taken but somewhat lacking in opportunity to go out and shoot. (Will get out this afternoon!)

One of yesterday's delivery taken on the 5D

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

And one of the whippety type dog :)
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Been shooting everything manually up till now because that's the way I want to be shooting period so trying to get into good habits early on. Actually that was part of the decision to change is that i want to develop better shooting habits and sometimes that is easier on a new platform where you have to change anyway and stops me falling into old (bad) habits!

Grips makes it heaaavvy! Great for action to get that 8fps though, only reason I'm keeping mine.

Congrats on the New d700's! Another great thing to do is customise one of the front buttons (near lens) to spot meter, so you can just press that down and get instant spot metering. Let go and you're back to your preferred.

Yv, the little viewfinder cover switch (if you don't already know) is for long exposures to stop light getting into the prism and ending up with a sort of haze in the final image.

Glad to see my two cohorts in temporary insanity are doing well :)

Thanks Ryan, no worries mate, people do have a life I know! lol

The book is by Darrell Young and James Johnson Dougie. Now it's daylight (and a lovely day too) I've popped the battery back on to top up but just been taking pics of the dogs in the front room. What a difference!

I always felt that there was an inherent softness about my natural lighting shots.....not this morning. Taking pics of my whippet and simply increased the ISO till I got 1/100 sec and it absolutely tack sharp. Having that ability to raise the ISO to get to those speeds was what I wanted from this rather large exercise and so far I have to say I am delighted that it appears to be everything I wanted :)

Thanks, Alison (and pablob).
I got my D700 just before Christmas and am delighted with it. Still learning to use it, of course.
I don't get the best from cameras until the controls become instinctive.

Back