D7100 for sports...(?)

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Looking advice please from youse sports shooters.

I've recently bought a D810 along with an older Nikkor 300mm f2.8 AI-S lens (manual focus).
Would I benefit from using a D7100 body over the D810 for sports photography...? Can a Nikon converter be used on my manual focus 300mm lens/and if so what's the one to aim for please...?

Appreciate any advice/knowledge/experience. Thank you.

Peter

I am not a 'sports shooter' but I have a D7100 and have shot sports with it, the autofocus is good but one thing that is very annoying at times of the buffer is small only 7-8 shots at 6FPS before the buffer is full then you can carry on shooting but at about half the FPS, I am using fast cards and shooting RAW, so if doing JPEG only things are quicker. If only doing second long bursts all is fine.

I don't know about lens adaptors, is the lens not an F mount? Also you'll obviously get a field of view equivelent to 450mm with your 300mm lens, this may be a benefit in some sports.

I have the d7100 and 1.4 tc, in crop mode whats the focal length or should I say field of view?

I have D7100 and I shoot different sport events. I never had problem with it, just make sure you put a proper lens on it. I have mine about 2 years now and the only annoying thing is the ISO button :D but part from that now issue, never let me down.

I use a 300mm f4 for wildlife, superb lens (older afs) agree the iso button is a pain sometimes but it's a superb camera

I use a 7100 for motor sports (bikes) the extra reach of the croped sensor and 24mp is a plus as is the fast auto focus system and ability to use older "screw drive" lenses.......yes the iso button is a pain but the smaller buffer is easily worked around Not to noisy when you have to bump up the iso also. Lens adapters work fine, I use a lot of manual M42 lenses and the light meter and focus indicator works fine plus the camera allows you to store many non cpu lens settings in the menu system. I have used the D7100 on a few commercial shoots for magazines and in print you'd be pushed to tell any difference. For the price it's a lot of camera :)

Got plenty of decent shots using a D70 at Castle Combe and Dawlish airshow. Got good results using a D3100 as well. Mainly use a 70-300 VR for this sort of shooting. The D7100 should perform far better than the D70!

Back