D750 shutter malfunction - again

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Bought from Currys in December 2015, having been assured by them that their stock was not affected by the shutter problem, the shutter jammed within 1000 actions.
Currys returned the camera to Nikon and it was returned 'fixed' three weeks later.
Now, after approx. another 500 actions it's stuck again, fortunately I have a two year warranty on it.
I wish I'd never bought the thing :(

Bought from Currys in December 2015, having been assured by them that their stock was not affected by the shutter problem, the shutter jammed within 1000 actions.
Currys returned the camera to Nikon and it was returned 'fixed' three weeks later.
Now, after approx. another 500 actions it's stuck again, fortunately I have a two year warranty on it.

I feel your pain, they should send you a brand new one or even free upgrade. That is ridiculous

TBH I wouldnt be very confident in anything Currys says, the serial check is on Nikons site. Did you get any form of evidence that Nikon did the work?

Shutter issue on the 750 has to do with hot spots on the sensor not shutter getting stuck, if memory serves me well.

Either way, it is unacceptable and they should solve the problem ideally by a replacement. Good luck.

TBH I wouldnt be very confident in anything Currys says, the serial check is on Nikons site. Did you get any form of evidence that Nikon did the work?
^^^ this. Did you register your camera with Nikon when you bought it because if you did they should have emailed you to say that your camera was affected. Whilst I completely understand your frustration unfortunately any camera can develop a fault, so the second one may or may not be related to the recall. It could just be bad luck, or that it was never fixed.

TBH though I lost faith in Nikon with my D750 fiasco, they totally fubarred it after the recall and it went back and forth to Nikon. Eventually it was replaced and I have to say that this D750 has been flawless (touch wood) and it has restored my faith in them. Whilst no product should have recalls it does happen (not just cameras) and I have to say I think that Nikon have actually handled it well this time.

Shutter issue on the 750 has to do with hot spots on the sensor not shutter getting stuck, if memory serves me well.

Either way, it is unacceptable and they should solve the problem ideally by a replacement. Good luck.
Nikon's official release was shading from the shutter in certain situations (different to the shadowing from the original flare recall). However, this shading issue has also seen a number of shutter failures for which people have had a replacement. Now whether the two are linked, the same problem, or just that Nikon are replacing said broken shutters under warranty/for those whose shutters are part of the recall I don't know.

Is it unacceptable though? I don't think so personally, they've identified a fault and done everything they can to rectify it (although can't be sure what was done by currys/nikon on the OP's camera)

Last edited:

How would hot spots on a sensor make a shutter fail? The flare issue also had nothing to with the sensor. AFAIK no D750 has been recalled for the sensor neither are sensors being replaced. I think youre mistaken and by hot spot, do you mean hot pixels, if so pretty much every digital camera has these and they show up during (very) long exposures.

Last edited:
https://petapixel.com/2016/03/01/nikon-recalls-d750-shutter-issue/

I should have said flares instead of hot spot. I was not aware there was a recall for shutter sticking problems; is there one?

What I mean by unacceptable is that one as a consumer should not be stuck with that problem. If I buy a new camera I would not want to have it serviced after a few weeks.

The sensor does does not cause the issue. It's the shutter.... and the issue is not current (stock wise). Do some research.

So then you shoot it for 100k actuations and get a free shutter. It's highly unlikely you'd ever see the flare issue anyway.

Last edited:
https://petapixel.com/2016/03/01/nikon-recalls-d750-shutter-issue/

I should have said flares instead of hot spot. I was not aware there was a recall for shutter sticking problems; is there one?

What I mean by unacceptable is that one as a consumer should not be stuck with that problem. If I buy a new camera I would not want to have it serviced after a few weeks.
Frustrating yes, but unacceptable? Not imo, it's not the only product in the world to have had a recall. At least it's no dangerous like a safety recall on a car, or a charger that might explode.

I want to buy one of these but these reports are a real worry.
The D750 is a superb camera, and still punches above the current competition (price/type wise) even though it's now 3 years old. You needn't worry if you buy used that's had the recall or outside the recall period (easy to check on Nikon's site), and if you buy new now (assuming it's not ancient stock). Even then the vast majority of D750 owners haven't experienced any issue, and as Twist says they've then got a new shutter for free as a bonus (y)

Frustrating yes, but unacceptable? Not imo, it's not the only product in the world to have had a recall. At least it's no dangerous like a safety recall on a car, or a charger that might explode.

I understand things may malfunction; what I’m trying to convey is that if I buy a camera new and have to send it in for service within a couple of weeks, particularly for what appears to be a known issue, I would get it replaced, not repaired.

I understand things may malfunction; what I’m trying to convey is that if I buy a camera new and have to send it in for service within a couple of weeks, particularly for what appears to be a known issue, I would get it replaced, not repaired.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. Trouble is in this situation if he/you swapped it for a new one within a couple of weeks that would most likely fall under the batches that had the recall. I'd just keep it for a couple of years and then send it back and have a shiny new shutter ;)

Could be worse you could send your camera in for a recall and comes back more broken :D:D

Hey guys, hope I’ve got the right thread here. After a year of deliberating, this morning I finally bit the bullet and bought a d750 from John Lewis. Was a bit of a rush as I’m now at the airport waiting for a flight. Got the camera out for the first time to take a look and took a couple of test snaps on it, all seemed fine. Then went to take another and the shutter isn’t firing. I’m coming from an oly em10ii so bit of a change for me and I’ll be honest, I’m a bit of a noob with Nikon so have yet to familiarise myself with it. Since it’s new, the battery symbol is flashing to be charged, is that likely to affect the shutter firing? How do I tell if the shutter had jammed and does it sound like that is what has happened? I’ll be fuming if so - this is my honeymoon and I bought it specially [emoji22]

Hey guys, hope I’ve got the right thread here. After a year of deliberating, this morning I finally bit the bullet and bought a d750 from John Lewis. Was a bit of a rush as I’m now at the airport waiting for a flight. Got the camera out for the first time to take a look and took a couple of test snaps on it, all seemed fine. Then went to take another and the shutter isn’t firing. I’m coming from an oly em10ii so bit of a change for me and I’ll be honest, I’m a bit of a noob with Nikon so have yet to familiarise myself with it. Since it’s new, the battery symbol is flashing to be charged, is that likely to affect the shutter firing? How do I tell if the shutter had jammed and does it sound like that is what has happened? I’ll be fuming if so - this is my honeymoon and I bought it specially [emoji22] any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, hope I’ve got the right thread here. After a year of deliberating, this morning I finally bit the bullet and bought a d750 from John Lewis. Was a bit of a rush as I’m now at the airport waiting for a flight. Got the camera out for the first time to take a look and took a couple of test snaps on it, all seemed fine. Then went to take another and the shutter isn’t firing. I’m coming from an oly em10ii so bit of a change for me and I’ll be honest, I’m a bit of a noob with Nikon so have yet to familiarise myself with it. Since it’s new, the battery symbol is flashing to be charged, is that likely to affect the shutter firing? How do I tell if the shutter had jammed and does it sound like that is what has happened? I’ll be fuming if so - this is my honeymoon and I bought it specially [emoji22]

Just sounds like the battery needs charging.

Yea try charging the battery first silly billy

[emoji23] just a bit of a panic - will try and find a socket. Seemed strange to me that the camera could still be on but not work!?

[emoji23] just a bit of a panic - will try and find a socket. Seemed strange to me that the camera could still be on but not work!?
On a Nikon when the battery is really really low the shutter won't always fire, but the menus still work etc. I'm sure a charge will solve all problems.

Happens to mine aswell, low battery stops the camera from taking shots but will stay on for a little while longer. Even less funnier is when my d500 states the battery is dead, i pop it into the d750 and get another 200 frames or so...

I’m sure you’re all dying to hear the outcome of my pathetic issue - it was definitely the low battery! Panic over [emoji16]

When you say shutter jammed did you get an error code? I ask as I once had the camera (D810) lock up and it felt like a shutter failure but after turning on and off, removing the battery etc it started working again. The error code I had was one of the catch all error codes and the issue was solved by cleaning the lens contacts.

I had a D750 before the D810, that was a great camera and I actually sometimes miss it. Really loved that camera, never had any problems so good ones are out there.

Edit: just noticed this thread is 6 months old!!! Epic thread revival.

When you say shutter jammed did you get an error code? I ask as I once had the camera (D810) lock up and it felt like a shutter failure but after turning on and off, removing the battery etc it started working again. The error code I had was one of the catch all error codes and the issue was solved by cleaning the lens contacts.

I had a D750 before the D810, that was a great camera and I actually sometimes miss it. Really loved that camera, never had any problems so good ones are out there.

Edit: just noticed this thread is 6 months old!!! Epic thread revival.

Just a bad memory now, all was sorted and (touching wood) working fine since.
ps. I will not buy from Currys again due to the bad mannered customer 'service' at the Chichester store.

This is why I'm completely torn on if I should buy a D750 or just move over and buy the Sony A7iii. The d750 is expensive and I worry about the shutter issue.

This is why I'm completely torn on if I should buy a D750 or just move over and buy the Sony A7iii. The d750 is expensive and I worry about the shutter issue.
Shutter issue has been resolved, new D750’s shouldn’t be any more prone to shutter issues than any other camera imo.

Shutter issue has been resolved, new D750’s shouldn’t be any more prone to shutter issues than any other camera imo.

That's what everyone thought till they extended the recall. Id hope it's sorted but you can't be 100% sure.

.... It's a fee fix anyway and a free shutter so not the end of the world.

Yeah can't see the issue. Unless your using it for business then it could only be away for max of 10 days. If you badger them nicely it could be back sooner.

That's what everyone thought till they extended the recall. Id hope it's sorted but you can't be 100% sure.
Well no can’t be 100% sure but it’s been a while now and I doubt after a second recall they could afford a third. I think you’ll be 99.999999% safe ;)

I'm just about to sell all our d750s and checked the recall out of curiosity. 1 of our bodies was recalled a year ago but now the other 3 Are on it too. They weren't initially and I've had no problems in over 100k shots. Somebody's gonna get a cheap used camera with 0 actuations

I'm just about to sell all our d750s and checked the recall out of curiosity. 1 of our bodies was recalled a year ago but now the other 3 Are on it too. They weren't initially and I've had no problems in over 100k shots. Somebody's gonna get a cheap used camera with 0 actuations
They don’t reset the shutter count in the UK as they say it’s a sign of the overall age of all the components. Obviously you can make a note of the shutter count prior to sending it in and inform the buyer, or even better take a photo before so that it’s time stamped and then you will also have the ‘invoice’ from Nikon that should have the date on.

They don’t reset the shutter count in the UK as they say it’s a sign of the overall age of all the components. Obviously you can make a note of the shutter count prior to sending it in and inform the buyer, or even better take a photo before so that it’s time stamped and then you will also have the ‘invoice’ from Nikon that should have the date on.

hmm they reset mine :confused:

hmm they reset mine :confused:
Odd. No-one else I’m aware of in the UK has and I even questioned Nikon why mine wasn’t and they gave me the explanation I gave above. I knew they did in the US though, so not sure why yours has been reset. Unless it’s all changed since mine went in.

Odd. No-one else I’m aware of in the UK has and I even questioned Nikon why mine wasn’t and they gave me the explanation I gave above. I knew they did in the US though, so not sure why yours has been reset. Unless it’s all changed since mine went in.

Only think i can think of was when i sent mine in it was not only exhibiting the flare but the curtain was getting mechanically jammed, perhaps they put it through as a different issue? My paperwork states it was dealt with under the normal recall so :confused:

Thought I had major shutter malfunction today. Took me 10 mins to realise I had it set to timer. Doh. Really should use this camera more.

Back