D750 to Z5 or Z6ii ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm finally starting the move to the Z system and can't decide whether the Z5 gives me enough for now.

I shoot mostly events and interiors and don't need high end video or high FPS. I also understand the recent firmware upgrades have improved the AF on the Z5.

Is there any other reason to go Z6ii over the Z5 ? Budget wise there is quite a gap between the two so rather not spend the additional cost unless i need to.

My d750's are great cameras but the loud shutter slap at quieter events seems to be getting worse with age and i like the idea of a lighter body with a lightweight Z lens on long event shoots. In body IS another handy feature.

I'm only planning on swapping one body to Z for now so will retain one D750 but in time will probably swap both if i get on with the mirrorless system.

Thanks for any advice / experience.

Kind Regards,
Mike.

Wouldn’t get a Z6ii now personally. It’s due a replacement and really is dated in AF terms. Z6 will be cheaper than a Z5 so I’d go one of 3 routes.

One go with a cheap Z6 with the intention of upgrading to a Z6iii and build up your glass in the mean time.

Two get a Zf if the ergonomics work for you.

Three, wait for the Z6iii.

Wouldn’t get a Z6ii now personally. It’s due a replacement and really is dated in AF terms. Z6 will be cheaper than a Z5 so I’d go one of 3 routes.

One go with a cheap Z6 with the intention of upgrading to a Z6iii and build up your glass in the mean time.

I have the Z7… which I love. Yes the AF is not the fastest but it does seem pretty dang good to me. The sensor isn’t going to be outdated anytime soon.. might be worth taking a look

I have the Z7… which I love. Yes the AF is not the fastest but it does seem pretty dang good to me. The sensor isn’t going to be outdated anytime soon.. might be worth taking a look
Z7 would be an option if one could be found cheap enough. I just wouldn’t spend too much on a Z body right now as the iii bodies must be around the corner.

Thanks - Z6 not an option as need two card slots. I'll probably start with the Z5 then and go from there.

If you’re dipping your toe into the Z, used Z6 prices are really competitive and considering the AF is on a par with the Z6ii, it’s a cheaper option to start with.

If you’re shooting events and indoors, the Z6 would be my choice as the ISO is a little cleaner than the Z7 in low light.

Personally I love my Z7ii, I don’t shoot much that moves - so AF performance isn’t a major concern for me, but the image quality from that 45MP sensor is fantastic.

I had the 750 and was happy with it, but, times move on and the Z system is the way forward. I got a good trade in for my 750 from LCE so it was a no brainer. In the end I went for the Z6 ii which I have had since June and it is a great camera. Yes there were rumours of the iii upgrade forthcoming but you could wait for evermore for the next incarnation. The z6 ii is very easy to get on with, great functions and I have not had any problems with the AF as it is an improvement over the 750 which I got on with OK.

Z7 would be an option if one could be found cheap enough. I just wouldn’t spend too much on a Z body right now as the iii bodies must be around the corner.
Again need two card slots so sadly Z7 not an option.

Sorry guys should have made it clearer only considering 2 card slot options as do paid work.

Depends on the work. What are you using it for? We shot for years on one roll of film, then one memory card.

If you are doing significantly enough work to worry about dual cards then go straight to the Z8 and you won’t look back.

I went D750 to Z6ii for the reasons that the D750 had seen a lot of mileage, and as OP said, its shutter click was loud! Z7ii was too much, and the Z6ii replaced the 750 function-wise.

Seem to be great on focus, and I am using old lenses and a MK1 FTZ adaptor. Conferences sometimes, and other events.

Think i'm going to wait until Black Friday and see what the Z5 and Z6ii are priced at. I never felt i needed 45megapixels in fact it would probably expose any less than perfect technique so stayed with the D750, at 4 times the cost as great as i'm sure the Z8 is it might be overkill for me.

I'm sure i could get away with a single slot but all it needs is one card to fail at a key event and that's me done reputation wise. Just not worth the risk and insanity Nikon even considering releasing single slot bodies on mid range and above cameras.

Hear you - that you need 2 card slots so yes - I guess z5 or Z6ii - as cheap as you can get a nice one for used: the iii’s may be out soon hopefully with the inners of the ZF.

I swapped my D750 ( and an A7 ) for a Z6 in 2019. I needed to mount Contax lenses hence an MILC - otherwise I would have stuck with the D750 since I’m just a casual photographer- no events - no work etc - didn’t need to bother about shutter noise.

[ an aside: One thing that has dawned on me is that I could probably use a Z7 - not for huge prints but to crop with enough mpx left to bridge gaps between primes and to get more reach from longer lenses. Used Z7s are not too expensive but the 2 slot Z7ii are imo ]

Looking at the Z5 charts on photons to photos, the Z5 sensor looks suspiciously the same as the one on the D750. Nothing wrong with that, it is a great sensor. The Z6 and Z6II sensors don't look quite so good at iso 100 but are better when the extra noise reduction kicks in at higher isos.
The internet says the Z6ii is better at low light focusing and the Z5 only does to -2EV. That is less than your D750, which might matter for you.

When I was looking to replace my D750 I hired a Z6ii for a week and gave it a pretty thorough testing with wildlife, motorsport and general photography. I had read about dodgy AF and maybe compared with some other cameras it is lacking but compared with the D750 it is another world better. It has the best high-ISO/noise handling performance of any current Nikon camera (except for the D780).

On the whole I really liked the Z6ii and enjoyed using it to the point that I nearly pulled the trigger on one but the thought of slowly replacing my lenses with Z versions put me off and I bought the D780 instead. Yes, I know I could have continued to use my F-mount lenses with an adapter but that doesn't appeal either. The D780 and Z6ii share the same sensor and electronics so their high-ISO performance is the same.

Back