D800....85 f1.4g or 85 f1.8g

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Will eventually be looking to upgrade the samyang 85 f1.4 and was all set on the nikkor f1.4.

Has anybody used both on the d800?

I frequently shoot wide open on the samyang f1.4. Is the nikkor f1.4 sharp or does it need stopping down?

My sensible head says get the 1.8g and spend the other money elsewhere. However I think I might miss f1.4!!

Any wise thoughts?

Ta

Shaheed

When i sold a D800 i delivered it in person and the guy who bought it was using the 85mm f/1.4, of course he tested the camera with this lens and WOW, just WOW.

If I get a reasonable amount of portrait bookings, I will think about a backup of a d750 and upgrading the 85 samyang to the nikkor. Panamoz looks to be a great deal!

Shaheed have you considered the Sigma 85? It is a beautiful lens for the £££

If you buy it second hand 450ish regardless if and when they bring out an art version you will still easily get almost exactly what you bought it for. The art will most likely not be in the same price bracket when it comes out. For the money its hard to beat.

I had a Sigma 85mm f1.4 in Canon fit and used it on my 5D, IMVHO it's a very very nice lens, the best AF lens I've ever used. Deffo worth a look for anyone looking at 85mm.

Art will doubtless be good but as said, at a higher price.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading a similar question. A few people stated that they had upgraded to the 1.4 and if they had their chance again they probably wouldn't.

I really like my 1.8, it's the only lens really stopping me from swapping to MFT. The bokeh is amazing and it's really quick to focus.

There are a couple of vids on YT, one comparing the Nikon 1.8g and the Sigma 1.4. And another by Matt Granger comparing both Nikkor G's. He says the 1.8 is 95% of the 1.4 for a considerable amount less.

Hope some of that jibberish helps ya.

Just to throw into the mix, the 85mm 1.4D can be had for similar money to the Sigma second hand. Best of both worlds?

I think the d is the worst choice out if the 3 nikkor 85's available having seen a friend go back to his samyanf on the d800 rather than the d.

Has anybody got experience if the sigma on the d800?

Usually the rule I adhere to when this question is asked if you are asking between the 1.4 or the 1.8 then you don't need the 1.4. I'd get the 1.8G and spend the £600 or £700 you'd save over the 1.4G on something else.

Usually the rule I adhere to when this question is asked if you are asking between the 1.4 or the 1.8 then you don't need the 1.4. I'd get the 1.8G and spend the £600 or £700 you'd save over the 1.4G on something else.

Not sure I follow your logic to be fair?

If you're anything like me Shaheed you'll buy the cheaper one and always hanker after the more expensive one.

I bought the Sigma for my 5d and whilst it was excellent just wanted the 85L which was built like a tank. Since getting my D750 the 85G is in the same league but maybe not quite built so well. The adage, you get what you pay for, is usually right so if you can afford it would get the G.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Shaheed, yes I had it on the D800. From what I remember it performed fine, however I hated the AF of my copy (D800) and just didn't trust it

I loved my Nikon 85 f1.8 so much that I thought the f1.4 would be brilliant ... it didn't match up to the extra cost TBH and I regretted selling the f1.8.

If you're anything like me Shaheed you'll buy the cheaper one and always hanker after the more expensive one.

I bought the Sigma for my 5d and whilst it was excellent just wanted the 85L which was built like a tank. Since getting my D750 the 85G is in the same league but maybe not quite built so well. The adage, you get what you pay for, is usually right so if you can afford it would get the G.

More than likely!!

I decided to be sensible and looked back through Lightroom as to what kind of apertures I shot the samyang 85 f1.4 with.......1.4 for over 90% of the time.

I guess because I'd heard great things about the 1.8, I had to consider it, but given the way I shoot it's almost going to be a 1.4 of some description!!

So the real question is now, who's used both the sigma and nikon on a d800??

S

I loved my Nikon 85 f1.8 so much that I thought the f1.4 would be brilliant ... it didn't match up to the extra cost TBH and I regretted selling the f1.8.

Did you shoot at f1.4 very often or did you stop down a lot. The impression I get is that the extra you pay is for the ability to shoot at f1.4, 9 blades and slightly better contrast/CA. stopped down not a lot between them so I hear.

The long and short of it is if money is no object get the f/1.4G. Seeing you shoot frequently at 1.4 forget about the 1.8G. The wise alternative is the Sigma 85. It's simply a stunning lens. People mistakenly blame lenses like this for having bad AF but as you know owning a manual focus 85 1.4 they're pretty tough to use wide open. I have compared it to the Canon 85 1.2 and personally I think it smokes it, its AF is in another league and pretty much every comparison says the same !

Did you shoot at f1.4 very often or did you stop down a lot. The impression I get is that the extra you pay is for the ability to shoot at f1.4, 9 blades and slightly better contrast/CA. stopped down not a lot between them so I hear.

TBH not regularly at f1.4 ... maybe if you really want that sort of DOF it'll be right for you but it wasn't for me, I actually preferred the bokeh of the Sigma 85 f1.4 :)

What would you say your primary concerns were Shaheed? Sharpness? AF? Bokeh?

I researched this myself very recently and found certain lenses were best for certain things. If i remember correctly, these were my findings completely from trawling through online material, i've only ever personally used the 1.4D and only had it a week so haven't had a massive amount of time with it. If anybody has anything to say to the contrary please interject, these aren't opinions based on real life use but from other users online

The Sigma was sharp with pleasant bokeh, but depending on build variations the AF might not be as good but maybe take that with a pinch of salt? I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 which plenty of people have trouble with AF wise, but after learning to use it properly i find mine to be fine.
The 1.8G was sharpest (out of the Nikons) with good AF and pleasant bokeh but wasn't 1.4.
The 1.4G was sharp to the corners with excellent bokeh (more "clinical" from the reviews i read, but its subjective anyway so you'd have to see for yourself) but not as fast AF wise as some of the others, handled backlit situations better than the D due to lens coatings
The 1.4D had "slight" AF advantages (when used on a decent body, which you have so isn't a problem) and excellent creamy bokeh but not quite as sharp as some of the others, with corners suffering a little.

When i was buying it was all S/H, i discounted the Sigma because of build quality and the pain of having to replace if it wasn't right. I know this may have been shortsighted but I didn't want to get into that debacle (i know i'm contradicting myself a little when i say that as i already own a Sigma lens, but one i could test before buying) I discounted the 1.4G because of the price difference, £3-400 more than the Sigma and the D 1.4s and £600 or so more than a 1.8G. I discounted the 1.8G because like you i wanted a 1.4. The things that turned me on to the 1.4D was it's status as the cream machine and it's supposedly faster AF. Sharpness remained to be seen, but after testing i'm perfectly happy, if the G versions are sharper then they must really be something! I just need more time with it to get used to shooting at such a wide aperture :LOL:

Forgot to mention contrast, contrast was better in the G lenses too :)

If I had the £1000 the 1.4G would have been a much more serious contender, just for me I would rather have taken the 1.4D and a good chunk of cash towards a new 35mm 1.4 :D (which I am also coveting)

Old Sigmas seem to put a doubt in a lot of peoples minds, due to some friday afternoon lenses hitting the market. I have only used the 17-50 & 18-50 f2.8, the 17-50 used to hunt like hell and I sent it back. The 18-50 was an OK lens and bought secondhand.

With the newer ART series they are putting a lot of doubts to bed and I suppose the 85mm wont be long before it hits the shelf. If I was to buy one I would purchase from a company with a good returns policy. If you get a good ones you can nearly have two for the price of the Nikon, one for D800 & D750.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention contrast, contrast was better in the G lenses too :)

If I had the £1000 the 1.4G would have been a much more serious contender, just for me I would rather have taken the 1.4D and a good chunk of cash towards a new 35mm 1.4 :D (which I am also coveting)

This again is something that appeals. I love contrasty images. I think I know what I want but don't want to pat the wedge of cash......I'm also hankering after a sigma 35 eventually.

I had a 70-200 sigma which was great. The vr2 nikkor was better, but at nearly 1k more!!

Hmm. Save money in the next few months (or get some more portrait clients) then get the nikkor 85 f1.4 g (probably from panamoz looking at the prices)

Thanks for all the helpful input

Shaheed

To answer the earlier question, AF of any sort as I've been MF at f1.4. Bokeh and sharpness wide open. And contrast.

@minnnt - cheers for the offer dude, really appreciate it, but if think I know what I want. My logical head needed to explore getting the 1.8 g which would leave money for the 35 f1.4 art!

Thanks all!

Shaheed

I have MTF tested both Nikons and the Sigma. They are all stonkingly sharp lenses. Very little to choose between them on optical performance, though the 1.8 Nikon is sharper around the edges at 1.8.

Agree with Laudrup TBH - if you don't know you need 1.4 (for either super-shallow DoF or low light purposes) then the smart money goes on the 1.8 version. But if you do know, then the 1.8 obviously isn't going to cut it. Sigma is also excellent, its only weakness being edge sharpness at lower f/numbers, but consider how many images shot at low f/numbers have areas towards the edges that are actually in focus anyway?

BTW, peak sharpness in the centre happens at f/4 with all these 85s. That's a giveaway sign of a very sharp lens indeed - lenses that peak at higher f/numbers like 5.6 or 8 will do so at a slightly lower level (it's diffraction).

Last edited:
More than likely!!

I decided to be sensible and looked back through Lightroom as to what kind of apertures I shot the samyang 85 f1.4 with.......1.4 for over 90% of the time.

I guess because I'd heard great things about the 1.8, I had to consider it, but given the way I shoot it's almost going to be a 1.4 of some description!!

So the real question is now, who's used both the sigma and nikon on a d800??

S

What are you shooting 90% of the time at f/1.4?

Shaheed, the 1.8g should be sold at twice the price - it's genuinely the sharpest lens I own. For the money, I don't think you can beat it. I also considered the 1.4g but my wallet whimpered at the difference in price. I read copious reviews that said the 1.8g was the better buy and I got mine on an impulse one afternoon when I found a good deal. It will be a cold day in hell before I part with it...

I own the 1.4G and its my favourite lens, I wouldn't be without it. Had the 1.8G been out when i bought the 1.4G on release, i might have considered it.
For the price the 1.8G can't be beat,but 90% of the things I've read where both were owned they would have gone for the 1.4G if price wasn't an issue.

I love the bokeh and images wide open,its not as sharp as say my sigma 35 ART but sharp enough and I have found the AF on my d800e to be hit and miss,this could be me and my technique.

@ 1.4 d800

Give me a bite by pmac1985, on Flickr

@ 1.4 d700

handfull of leaves by pmac1985, on Flickr

@ 2.5 d700 large crop

pretty eyes by pmac1985, on Flickr

theres loads more on my flickr a lot are not sorted into the album as well.

The problem with Sigma lenses are they are a bit too hit and miss with QA IMO. I've had a couple of issues with some and it has put me off enough to stick with the marques. Makes me wonder whether they would last as long in the long term.

Maybe on some Sigma lenses but the reality is the 85 is 90% of the 1.4G at 40% of the cost. Their new 35 slaps the Nikon silly at half the price. Their 50 art beats every Nikon 50 including the rip off 58mm. Also people are also too keen to palm off their own poor technique to lens issues.

I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4 & the D800e - love it... Excellent boken, fast, sharp no problems

Maybe on some Sigma lenses but the reality is the 85 is 90% of the 1.4G at 40% of the cost. Their new 35 slaps the Nikon silly at half the price. Their 50 art beats every Nikon 50 including the rip off 58mm. Also people are also too keen to palm off their own poor technique to lens issues.

I was really hoping the sigma 85 art would have been out before I wanted to upgrade but sadly not.....

It's not even really a price consideration for me, 85 is my most commonly used lens... I've got the sigma 85 1.4 and it's stunning, and I'll upgrade to the ART the day it's released. Astonishingly good lenses. Don't let a few crappy zooms that they release for £100 convince you that they don't know how to make lenses.

Ive bought a few high end Sigma lenses in the past, 2/4 70-200 2.8 had BF/FF, 3/5 50mm 1.4 (non ART) had BF/FF issues, 2/3 85mm 1.4 had BF/FF issues. Thats a pretty bad ratio. However, once you finally get a good copy of any of these lenses you will be happy. My recommendation would be to buy a used UK lens AFTER youve seen samples OR buy a new UK lens with a good returns policy online. Imports can be a pain doing the whole back and forward thing and adjustments/repairs take up to 8 weeks if they have parts and they usually require the camera to get it right first time. Something to think about.

Some cases may be user error but Ive used a lot of fast lenses and its pretty easy to tell if they are out. All mine were to far out to be MAd.

Back