1. Eyon

Eyon

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi everyone, I have this very annoying issue. Recently, when using the AF, in all modes, my D800 struggles to focus to objects far away or with low contras, or actuslly anything sometimes. All that happens is the lenses zoom to their minimum. No hunting, no going back and forth, just around to the closest focus they can at full speed (quick on the 24-70!)

All lenses seem to be doing this, my most common lenses, the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G and Sigma 150-600 C both do the exact same thing, which makes me think it's body related. The sigma will even bust through its 10m focus limit right down to the closest it'll go even though it's restricted it.

I always assumed if a camera cannot focus, it will go to infinity, but mine seems to go the other way.

Any reason this would happen? There is quite a lot of dust when looking through the viewfinder, but the sensor is clean. Perhaps some dust on the focusing system screwing it around?

Any ideas where to start would be greatly appreciated.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
  3. Eyon

Eyon

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I sure hope it's not that, sounds expensive! I've checked the mount and it seems flat.

Further investigation shows that, if given the central focus point, it focuses to close, if using an off-centre one, it focuses correctly.

4. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you tried resetting the camera? can't remember which but it is either pressing the red or green dot buttons at the same time the manual will say which. Also there is an update to version A1.11- B1.11-L2.017. Also a second landscaped can be added to the menu

Link
    http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/263.html

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  5. Eyon

Eyon

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A small update on this if anyone ever finds themselves in the same situation as me. My D800 was returned to Fixation who re-calibrated the focus system and now it's better than ever :woot:

EightBitTony likes this.