D810 Memory Card choices

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I recently managed to pick up a second hand D810, so am having to upgrade my memory. My Current card is a Kingston 64GB, 90MB/s Read- 45MB/s Write UH1 Card.

I've been doing some research and have read that nikon may not use the buffer if shooting using live view so a fast card is recommended (I can't find if this is completely accurate).
However, my budget aim is £70-80 for a 64GB card. So far I've seen the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 160MB/s Compact Flash and the Lexar 64GB 1066x Professional Compact Flash in this price range. I'm open to an SD alternative if it's a similar or better speed.

I read a review showing the lexar to be a bit faster than the sandisk at writing, and just wanted to find out if this was a real factor, which of these is a more reliable brand or if there are any other cards I should consider.

Thanks

Last edited:
Congratulations… surely not a mistake! (y)
Yeah I am happy with it! It has 100k shutter count, but looks pretty mint in condition. The next step is to get more than a 50mm lens for it, the first will be a 105mm sigma 2.8 macro,just because I love the 100mm focal length. I'm lucky in that my sister has had a d810 for a while and built up a nice lens collection over the last few years so I will be making use of brother borrowing abilities :sneaky:

I will be making use of brother borrowing abilities :sneaky:

Didn't have bros and sis… so I now know
why my first years were so difficult! :D

This is what I used to decide on a CF card.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d810/fastest-sd-cf-card-speed-tests/

I already had the SanDisk pro extreme 95mb/s used on a D750 when I switched to the D810. Decided on Lexar pro 1066x for the CF as the price as great at the time over the SanDisk CF cards (price has increased since on amazon which is a pain but can hold out for second card).

This is what I used to decide on a CF card.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d810/fastest-sd-cf-card-speed-tests/

I already had the SanDisk pro extreme 95mb/s used on a D750 when I switched to the D810. Decided on Lexar pro 1066x for the CF as the price as great at the time over the SanDisk CF cards (price has increased since on amazon which is a pain but can hold out for second card).
As the lexar is slightly faster and slightly cheaper, it might be the best option then! Have you found it to be reliable?

Didn't have bros and sis… so I now know
why my first years were so difficult! :D
It was one of the reasons I made the switch to Nikon, I haven't really invested in much glass for my 60D, only the 100mm 2.8, and I wanted to move to FF, so now I'm selling my 60D gear to invest in a lens or two for the Nikon, I will probably make a thread getting advice about lenses at some point.

As the lexar is slightly faster and slightly cheaper, it might be the best option then! Have you found it to be reliable?
I've not had the D810 long but used Lexar cards before without any problems. I use both SD and CF set as backup, probably restricts the top speed to that of the SD card but if one card fails its not a problem.

Watch where you buy them. Well know now that criminals have done good copies of these memory cards.

Watch where you buy them. Well know now that criminals have done good copies of these memory cards.
I was using camerapricebuster to find the best price, and park cameras is the best for lexar at the moment

Back