D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Having just done a search and not seen a dedicated thread for D810 owners I thought I would make one.

I have just upgraded from a D700 to the D810 and would like to know how much of a difference I will see in IQ and speed as I will be mostly using it for aircraft, BBMF and fast jets.
File size, is it an issue or should I just buy a 128GB card and have a smaller one as a backup (Tesco selling 128 Sandisk cheap)

Having just done a search and not seen a dedicated thread for D810 owners I thought I would make one.

I have just upgraded from a D700 to the D810 and would like to know how much of a difference I will see in IQ and speed as I will be mostly using it for aircraft, BBMF and fast jets.
File size, is it an issue or should I just buy a 128GB card and have a smaller one as a backup (Tesco selling 128 Sandisk cheap)

What write speed is the card

I think it was 80mb/s if I remember, going in to get one today £33 they do a slightly cheaper micro SD at £32 and I think that was 100mb/s so will look at both

Last edited:
Does the fps go up with a grip and EN-EL4 battery Gramps I think the grips take EN-EL4

5fps it is then, do you have a D810 Gramps, could you post a quick shot to see the IQ please

D810 isn't built for speed (5 fps) but gives extremely good IQ - Sandisk 95 mb/s SD and Sandisk Extreme Pro CF would be my min recommendation.

True but at 36mpx can generate RAW files of about 60mb so 90mb/s won’t allow 5fps anyway.

first of all there has been a recent upgrade in the firmware so may pay to check on your version

link

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/176/D810.html

there is an excellent book, far better than the Nikon manual

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...QK-MNYOiWPi7ANqgYDiT0FqdOpH_vMuYaAhYFEALw_wcB

Re the grip can increase FPS slightly but you may well need the en-el18 or18a batteries. This would also mean a different charger and grip end cap. These are not cheap for what they are. I have them for my D300 but don't fit the D810 different shape .
AS for IQ I was blown away with the difference from the D800 ,so from the D700 there is no comparison
The D810 is less forgiving when taking photos so," at least I have had to" take that bit extra care to get it right

What i did find if using the video part of the camera the red button was not easy the get at, so altered in the menu to have the stills button do the job when switched to video live view.

No matter how good beforehand the lens is with the D810 it pays to fine tune it to the camera, I was surprised at the difference it made. Easy enough as i tethered it to the TV so i had a big screen to use for the adjustments,. I have a SpydelensCal which is ideal for he job. There is an electronic version which can do the set up intstead

Last edited:
Just been to Tesco and bought the Sandisk extreme as it was only a few quid more, but has the extra speed over the ultra card

Re the grip can increase FPS slightly but you may well need the en-el18 or18a batteries. This would also mean a different charger and grip end cap. These are not cheap for what they are.

I was afraid you may say that as I have 2 EN-EL4 batteries with the end cap sadly it doesn't look likely it will fit the D810 grip then.

i have the same and no it won't fit the D810 the spring contacts are on the opposite side

Mc1VJ7p.jpg

Last edited:
This will help deciding on memory cards for the d810.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d810/fastest-sd-cf-card-speed-tests/

I use a Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s SD card and a lexar 1066x CF card in aD810. I was looking at the photography show for CF cards now Lexar are gone (I’m looking for a spare set for the times I’m away). They had the Sandisk extreme 120mbs but they are nearly half the speed of the Sandisk 160mbs so its worth looking at write speeds as they can be quite different to the speed advertised on the card (usually read speed).

I use the Sandisk extreme pro 32 GB 160mb/s Cf cards ----and the Sandisk extreme pro 32gb 95mb's SD cards
I did wonder about using the 64gb card but should it fail I will still have another anyway to carry on with..

I also use the CF card as the main and the SD card as the backup. The CF card I have set for RAW files and the SD card for Jpeg fine and the SD card for any video as well, not that I use it as I have a camcorder. Never had any problems with either cards

the video on the D810 needs everything to be in manual settings, ie lens and camera, therefore a tripod is really a must to leave the hands free for focus etc.

Only alternative is a seperate mike well away from the camera but even then in auto mode the frames jump with the focus changing

Far better to not use unless the focus distance doesn't change.

large RAW CF 32GB card takes about 400 shots if that is any help

Last edited:
I also use the CF card as the main and the SD card as the backup. The CF card I have set for RAW files and the SD card for Jpeg fine

There was a very long but interesting thread recently that mentioned shooting RAW and jpeg, it was interesting to note that shooting RAW and jpeg compared to Raw & RAW slowed down the frame rate of a D500 as it had to write RAW to one slot, convert the second image to jpeg and write that to the second slot. As it’s seems to be a sequential write, the processing time to convert to jpeg took longer than just writing RAW to both. Whether it’s the same in the D810 I’m not sure as I haven’t tested it but I can see the reasoning behind it. I haven’t used JPEGs in years since moving to RAWs, personally I don’t see RAW and JPEG as backup as if I lose the RAW the jpeg file isn’t a direct replacement therefor not back up to the RAW file (I don’t change WB between shots so that would be a problem for me with a jpeg).

There was a very long but interesting thread recently that mentioned shooting RAW and jpeg, it was interesting to note that shooting RAW and jpeg compared to Raw & RAW slowed down the frame rate of a D500 as it had to write RAW to one slot, convert the second image to jpeg and write that to the second slot. As it’s seems to be a sequential write, the processing time to convert to jpeg took longer than just writing RAW to both. Whether it’s the same in the D810 I’m not sure as I haven’t tested it but I can see the reasoning behind it. I haven’t used JPEGs in years since moving to RAWs, personally I don’t see RAW and JPEG as backup as if I lose the RAW the jpeg file isn’t a direct replacement therefor not back up to the RAW file (I don’t change WB between shots so that would be a problem for me with a jpeg).

Can't say i have noticed any slow down with RAW and J peg.

here is the full spec.

https://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/slr/professional/d810#tech_specs

battery pack increases FPS to 6

https://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/...battery-packs/multi-power-battery-pack-mb-d12

Last edited:
The 5fps will be adequate for my needs as I rarely shoot in continuous mode anyway, but cheers for all the info on the cards, some good reading, now lets have a look at some D810 IQ

shouldn't be any problems. if you go into setup menu and scroll down to Non CPU data and go to the right, that is where you can set up non CPU lens data for the camera

Last edited:
I use a D810 predominantly for aviation and have done for three years now. Admittedly it’s not as fast as something like a D500 but as long as you don’t ‘spray and prey’ then it’s more than capable. Using as fast a card as possible will obviously help. A few examples of IQ...

18114982008_f9517349cc_o.jpg

37269056246_90e5de0209_o.jpg

Sometimes I am out spoken about photos I don't like but at least they are my own honest opinions. Abstract or over edited photos I just don't understand. These of the aircraft do not fall into that segment by any means, they show what the eye sees but maybe a bit closer,
So having said that when I say I do like them it is not because everyone else says the same. Well done

Theres no doubting, with the right lens, the D810 can capture some stunning shots looking at the few that have gone up already

Theres no doubting, with the right lens, the D810 can capture some stunning shots looking at the few that have gone up already

Should probably have mentioned which lenses mine were taken with. The first one was with a 500 f4 VR and the second with a 200-500.

Just been fine tuning My D810 with the Nikon afs 70-200mm f2.8 G11 ED VR lens. if there is only one lens as a must have it is this one. ok not cheap but well worth getting. On another thread I did mention about fine tuning with a monitor if using a desktop computer which is not needed.
I used a SpyderlensCal set up outside with the camera tethered to the monitor indoors and that lens attached. best if the monitor has an HDMI socket, makes fine tuning so much easier with a live large screen

xWHMn38.jpg

photo with different lens not the 70-200 Live view as shot taken, You can just see the target tripod legs outside
I did it properly this time with VR off - firm tripod- correct aperture- wired remote etc .

Last edited:
I finished work early so decided to pop to the local airfield just to get some quick shots to see how the D810 handles, I must say I am very pleased with it, a few days shooting this beast and I will have it sussed fully, not a lot happening but we did get one Sherburn aircraft in.

_MGG5441_zpsf990ksev.jpg

1/125 f11 iso100 155mm and 30% crop

Pete have you tried the video side of the camera yet? I have and wouldn't bother.I prefer to use my camcorder for that. Suppose it is ok as long as panning is not involved.

Pete have you tried the video side of the camera yet? I have and wouldn't bother.I prefer to use my camcorder for that. Suppose it is ok as long as panning is not involved.

No Baz to be honest I don't think I am bothered about videos, if I do then my S8+ is more than capable and gives decent results

having done test shots around my house and matched lens to camera (calibration) hopefully if the weather is nice it is time to go on a trip out, possibly to Scotney Castle to see how the new camera compares to the D800 I used previously. shown as below

ksLnAYz.jpg

Last edited:
ok just this minute got back tp post an unedited Jpeg straight from the camera. First difference Ii will have to get used to is working at a higher ISO than the D800 or so it seems. Don't forget this is an out and about test for me with a new camera

photos below taken hand held

xb0s9bj.jpg

Comparison shot to previous one totally unedited and from the Jpeg fine setting
yVXnkYa.jpg

Nikon d810 with 24-70 f2,8 lens at 70mm . ISO 1600 @f16 shutter 1/800 sec

aken from same place but lookin it was taken with my panasonic camcorder.

Not looked at the RAW file yet but even with this I am staggered how sharp this one is even if clicking the enlarge bar at the top.
Just goes to show ,in my opinion, how worth while matching camera and lens is together by fine tuning. ust looked at camera settings and didn't set it up to take RAW files. I was fiddling about with getting more light onto the sensor.

Still that was the object of the exercise, getting used to the camera

Last edited:
Back