D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

shutter life is a nominal 100,000 so 20k isnt too bad. My 18 month old D90 has 5,000 clicks, and its used a fair bit for equestrian pics, holidays etc so I would say 20k in a year would indicate pro or semi pro use. But if its cheap enough........

Thanks Dave, the body comes with a grip and wired remote as well as a 2GB card and the sensor has been cleaned and had a full service. Price is £500. Too dear?
Cheers
D

Possibly looking at a used D90 body this time (bought new the last time). Is 20,000 clicks high for a year old body?
Cheers
D

I would think so but I'm no expert, see what others may say !

Is it a good price though ?

Can anybody recomend anywhere i could get this camera with lens for a good price.

The cheapest i can find it at with 18-105 VR Kit lens is 760 pounds!

Are you able to use the D40 lens with this camera, if a conection thing is used?

Hi,
Check the nikon for sale section for good priced used D90's, or as the the person about camera price buster is really good and yes you can use the lens from the D40. Hope that helps?

well a new D90 body is £600, grip and remote are cheap on ebay so I would be looking at more like £450 if it was me........

well a new D90 body is £600, grip and remote are cheap on ebay so I would be looking at more like £450 if it was me........

Was thinking it was too dear myself. I'd need to get a lens too and kit lenses are going for around £150+ so not such a good deal. Just ordered a new one instead - would rather have the comfort of the 2 year warranty

Hi,
Check the nikon for sale section for good priced used D90's, or as the the person about camera price buster is really good and yes you can use the lens from the D40. Hope that helps?

Thanks for that, i shall have a look! :)

do i need a specific piece of equipment to allow me to use the lens on the D90? I'm asuming you do, but i can't think of te appropriate name! :bonk:s

No, you can use any lenses from your D40 straight onto a D90. In fact any Nikon lens from 1959 onwards will fit and work on a D90 although the older lenses will be manual focus only. Thats one of the reasons Nikon beat Canon, Canon have any number of fitments so not all lens work with all cameras.
And I agree with Eye on Me there are lots of good D90's and lenses in the classifieds on here, well worth a look.

Andy

Last edited:
Thought I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread as I reckon you lot will have a lot of knowledge on this kind of thing.

Finally got a lens on my new D90, which means I can take the thing out. Took around 200 practice shots over the last week, nothing great yet but I've been having a bit of problem with the lens. It's a brand new 50mm 1.8, ordered off a british independent seller on amazon, because I wanted it to get here swiftly. The absolute &*^#s didn't tell me on their page that they would be ordering in from Hong Kong so it took way longer than they said it would. Don't order from Electric Universe if you want it quickly.

Anyway, I know the lens is supposed to be really sharp, but I've not really noticed that. It doesn't focus on objects too close to the lens, but I'm not sure whether this is to be expected. The camera has taken one minor bump with the lens attached, but I would think that a little bang wouldn't really affect anything - it was just in a bag which tipped over. It could be that I'm just using the lens in the wrong conditions, but I can't seem to get it to focus on autofocus anything different to how I can on manual, which is ever so slightly soft.

I'm wondering whether this is a consequence of the bump, a factory defect, or the fact that the DOF on 1.8 is so shallow that the autofocus motor (Or me as an amateur) might have a little difficulty with it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Sam.

Should be pin sharp really Sam. The dof can be a bit tricky to get used to but not that hard, not sure if its had a bump on the way to you but it sounds a bit dodgy.

Andy

Now then guys, just wondered if any of you guys had used a sigma 50 - 500mm with your d90 and what your opinions were?

Paul

Thought I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread as I reckon you lot will have a lot of knowledge on this kind of thing.

Finally got a lens on my new D90, which means I can take the thing out. Took around 200 practice shots over the last week, nothing great yet but I've been having a bit of problem with the lens. It's a brand new 50mm 1.8, ordered off a british independent seller on amazon, because I wanted it to get here swiftly. The absolute &*^#s didn't tell me on their page that they would be ordering in from Hong Kong so it took way longer than they said it would. Don't order from Electric Universe if you want it quickly.

Anyway, I know the lens is supposed to be really sharp, but I've not really noticed that. It doesn't focus on objects too close to the lens, but I'm not sure whether this is to be expected. The camera has taken one minor bump with the lens attached, but I would think that a little bang wouldn't really affect anything - it was just in a bag which tipped over. It could be that I'm just using the lens in the wrong conditions, but I can't seem to get it to focus on autofocus anything different to how I can on manual, which is ever so slightly soft.

I'm wondering whether this is a consequence of the bump, a factory defect, or the fact that the DOF on 1.8 is so shallow that the autofocus motor (Or me as an amateur) might have a little difficulty with it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Sam.

The lens is not a macro lens, so it needs certain distance from the lens. I should be at least 1:1 if I remember correctly. As for sharpness, on 1.8, the dof is so shallow that only the focus point is in focus, the rest will be thrown out of focus. If you are looking for sharpness, stop down the aperture and it should be sharp!

The lens is not a macro lens, so it needs certain distance from the lens. I should be at least 1:1 if I remember correctly. As for sharpness, on 1.8, the dof is so shallow that only the focus point is in focus, the rest will be thrown out of focus. If you are looking for sharpness, stop down the aperture and it should be sharp!

What he said. What you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

As for me, I made my second upgrade in less than a year this afternoon, got a D700. I'm not parting with my D90 though, I can't think of a better backup body.

It should come with a screen protector like this:

41EVbse-quL.jpg

I think these are crap - grit etc get's in behind it and scratches the glass

Ive joined the d90 club after much thought i decided to out the d3000 and treat myself to a d90 body.

Arriving tomorrow so will be a good weekend.

J

Ive joined the d90 club after much thought i decided to out the d3000 and treat myself to a d90 body.

Arriving tomorrow so will be a good weekend.

J

Been thinking of doing the same myself, let me know what you think as to whether its worth the upgrade or not. Keep saying to myself hold on to the D3000 for a bit longer and wait to see if a new model comes out to replace the D90 :LOL:

Been thinking of doing the same myself, let me know what you think as to whether its worth the upgrade or not. Keep saying to myself hold on to the D3000 for a bit longer and wait to see if a new model comes out to replace the D90 :LOL:

not sure if the D90 is going to be replaced anytime soon, if you upgrade from the D3000, you won't be disappointed :LOL:

well had it 5 hours now, superb very easy to use screen is a lot better quality too takes a lovely picture and a quick play with the video seems to work well too

so if you get good money for your d3000 body i would say deff go for it.

J

not sure if the D90 is going to be replaced anytime soon, if you upgrade from the D3000, you won't be disappointed :LOL:

Rumour has it there is a D90 replacement next month (august) or sept the latest, google it loads of rumours flying about, and demo D90`s being sent back to nikon, cant wait!!!!

Rumour has it there is a D90 replacement next month (august) or sept the latest, google it loads of rumours flying about, and demo D90`s being sent back to nikon, cant wait!!!!

To be fair, there's been rumours like that flying about for ages. Even if there is, it'll be priced at a fair bit more than the D90, so anyone hoping to pick up a D90x or whatever for less than £750 will be disappointed.

yes , but how much better than the D90 will it be ?

might be a better idea to buy a reduced in price D90

look at the rumours and see then, i`m pretty sure it will be definate step up in spec this time around, the d300s will be updated too

I think anyone waiting for a successor to the D90 to come out in order to get a cheaper D90 is mad. They may just discontinue the D90, and when they did that with the D40, the prices rocketed.

The D90 is a fantastic camera, you won't get much more camera for the price of a used D90 right now, I'd especially be upgrading right now if I had a body without a motor.

I think anyone waiting for a successor to the D90 to come out in order to get a cheaper D90 is mad. They may just discontinue the D90, and when they did that with the D40, the prices rocketed.

The D90 is a fantastic camera, you won't get much more camera for the price of a used D90 right now, I'd especially be upgrading right now if I had a body without a motor.

I upgraded from the D40 to the D90, because the D40 lacked a focusing motor

I've kept the 2 best reasonably priced Nikon camera's in many years - D40 + D90

Can't see me changing for quite some time....let the guys with too much money to spend chase the latest bell & whistle

Back